Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading sails and rigging..  (Read 2713 times)

mtee

Upgrading sails and rigging..
« on: May 03, 2011, 02:35:23 am »

Hi all, as bit of a noob I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here... I want to run a new suit of sails and lines(sheets..?) on my boat... The sails I would like are for stronger wind speeds such as Beau3 and up... not particularly strong I agree, but as my boat only has a 612mm hull, anything around and above this mark knocks it down... or maybe would you recommend a heavier/longer bulb keel and leave the stock sails? or maybe trim the stock sails..?

The lines I would like to replace are the mast support lines... also I'd like to replace the below deck servo lines too...

Thank you in advance...  :-))

tony23

Re: Upgrading sails and rigging..
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:21:56 am »

Hi, What you need is a set of smaller sails not stronger ones and changing the bulb for a heavier one will not work that will make the boat sit in the water too low and have a bad effect on the boat. So take the sails off and either make them or get a model sailmaker to make a set smaller. We use 3 different rigs on one metre boats to cover all wind conditions as for the shroud lines and deck sheets (lines) buy some dacron or Dyneema from Sailsetc http://www.sailsetc.com/ or PJ Sails http://www.pjsails.co.uk/

mtee

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:11:12 am »

Thank you for the info SCM... just what I needed..! Is making a smaller set of sails as simple as taking the current sail dimensions and removing a little material from the base and hypotenuse..?  :embarrassed:

I have ordered a spool of Dacron, thanks...

hmsantrim

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:01:14 am »

Hi mtee.
             As spam man says the practice for increased wind strength sailing above a certain degree is that you reduce the sail area which allows for forward motion without the vessel being laid flat on it side (Broaching)

The yacht racing boys have several suits of sails the smallest is called a "storm suit" which is what you require.  The mast support lines

ie:  (Shrouds - support wires for the mast) you can use use fishing trace wire (See link)  crimp one end on to a hook the other on to a turn buckle, bottle screw, rigging screw, what ever its called in your area.  Hook goes to mast top turn buckle to deck plate.  Adjust turn buckle to put tension on the wire.   

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Trace-Wire-and-Crimps-Kit--Coated-.html

if you note the length of the keel on the modern racing yacht is quite substantial  as the hulls have got narrower and faster the bulb weight goes further down into the water  dont know if you can add a bit on you keel ?   

cheers Frank.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:48:22 pm »

What boat is it?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mtee

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 05:34:42 pm »

Hi, it is the Ky*sho 612 fortune...  :embarrassed:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.