Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice Required  (Read 2957 times)

Baz

Advice Required
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:14:07 pm »

Hi all,
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place but I am new to Mayhem and finding my feet so to speak.

Can anyone help me with the following please?.

I have started to build a 1:32 scale chant, The problem is I have no idea what type/size of electric motor to put in her. The model specs are
Length 56 inches - Beam 10 inches - Weight 30ILb. The prop size will be 50mm Dia but again I have no idea of what pitch to use to match the motor help with this if possible would be appreciated please.

Thanks in advance.

Broken Neck

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice Required
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:50:08 pm »

I am working on a civvy 1/32 CHANT at the moment, it is driven by a single MFA Torpedo 800, 12 volt motor via a 50mm prop. It uses a 12v 7amp gel battery and should give me a run time approaching 2 hours.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Baz

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:58:44 pm »

unbuiltnautilus,

Thanks for the reply and info on your models running gear, it will help me a lot. Mine is the armed WWII version and I'm hoping to use water ballast in the position of the front and rear tanks, with the batteries in the midship area.

Hope all goes well with your build.

Broken Neck

Baz

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »

unbuiltnautilus

Sorry forgot to ask you whose prop you are using and if possible the part number?.
Thanks again for your help

Broken Neck

Nordsee

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Chant?

Roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:59:08 pm »

Don't quote me on this, i'm not 100% sure.. but i believe the 'Chant' is actully a heavy fuel ship from Normandy?

Subject to being corrected on this one..

cliff2903

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:01:13 pm »

i thought it was -- Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare -- that sort of thing :}

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:03:35 pm »

Chant short for Channel Tanker
made in the same idea as the Tid tug in that they were prefabricated section welded together.
Some were converted to carry Dry stores and were called Epmire F's (each name started Empire F....)

Nice models I have the hull for a 1:48 scale model waiting to be done %)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 02:11:20 pm »

CHANT.

WWII Standard Design Channel Tanker.

The CHANT channel tanker was designed during WWII to carry petrol and oil products for the Allied invasion of Europe in 1944, in all 43 were built, some inland in sections. Their straight line designs had no curved or twisted plates and with no sheer gave them a rather ugly appearance which resulted in them being nicknamed "Churchills Holy Answer to the Nazi Terror".

A total of 25 vessels of the dry cargo version was built, after the war many were decommissioned and sold into civilian use, some are still believed to be trading in the Mediterranean.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:03:58 pm »

As Dicky says - all straight lines and no compound curves so they could be built anywhere quickly and did not need
highly qualified shipbuilders to do the job.

Geoff

Baz

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:50 am »

Hi Guys

Well you are all correct as I would expect, Dicky D you have it spot on, they are the kind of ship you love or hate but I like unusual.
There is not a lot of info out there on the Chant and I think I have it all searched now for over 1 yr. Have to give credit to John R Haynes as after a chat on the phone I got some very good drawings from him.  If you want to see the build can someone explain where to put it and how please (keep it clean guys)?.

The plan I have is 1:48 and the model is 1:32 so plenty to scale up.

Regards to you all and hope you are still on the up Dicky D.

Broken Neck

Roadrunner

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 09:34:35 am »

I think putting a build log in the Warships section would be the best place for it. just create a new thread like you did this one in that section and reply to posts to keep it going.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=93.0
 :-))

Baz

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 02:06:01 pm »

Roadrunner

Thanks for that, :-)) as said did not know where to put it had a feeling it might be in there will put it in under sub heading of working.

I have read the bit on here to do with putting a photo on a thread but cant seem to understand it, {:-{ am I correct in thinking that it is easier if you have pic's on a hosting site? Most of this new to me and I don't want to cause havoc with the site by doing something wrong and crashing it. Will have another read of it soon.

Broken Neck

Roadrunner

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 02:34:31 pm »

I use Photobucket simply upload images to the site and then take(copy) the 'IMG' link from each photo and paste in my posts/blogs etc very easy to use, no issues so far.  :-))

http://photobucket.com/

Heres a quick how too in photos to help just in case you get a bit lost! (oh and yes that's my wife in the photo with her prize pig!)

Baz

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 11:16:25 am »

Thanks Roadrunner it all looks quite easy will sort out things here and start the build log. Catch you around the forum again I hope.
Broken Neck
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.