Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this putty OK?  (Read 4044 times)

sandy1000

Is this putty OK?
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:50:46 am »

I have a Graupner ship kit which has a lot of vac formed plastic - I think it is ABS. i also have "Tamiya Epoxy Putty - Smooth Surface"  and the instructions say not to be used with polethylene or polyproplene. Is this OK with the Graupner plastic?

Thanks in anticipation.

Roadrunner

Re: Is this putty OK?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:59:12 am »

Test it on a scrap bit of abs and see if anything occurs.

Usually they say don't use on plastics as the putty may warp the material as the putty will heat up (endothermic reaction) as it cures and this has a tenancy to melt/warp plastic materials, if you want to fill gaps in plastic parts, try some plastic magic putty ( green gloop) or P38 ( car body filler) all guaranteed to work without fear!

sandy1000

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:25:42 am »

I used car filler on the plastic hull. I stirred the filler wirth a screwdriver (as you do, first thing to come to hand) and the filler is rock solid on the screwdriver. It needs to be ground off it is that hard. I used the filler for mounting the steel propshaft and the wooden motor base. In both cases where it is in contact with the steel and wood it is never going to give way.

But where it is in contact with the plastic it simply snaps free without any pressure at all. I bought this putty because it says smooth surfaces but I need to know whether it is OK. You are right, it seems that hardly anything bonds ABS plastic.

BigA

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:53:19 pm »

ABS and vac-formed hulls/components are styrene-based - these are okay with the Tamiya putty you have (designed for styrene). Also consider Milliput, which is good. P38 is good because it cures very quickly (15min) - it's 2-component and is EXOthermic although the temperatures reached are not so excessive that you have to worry about using it on styrene. When using on smooth surfaces, it is best to first key the surface by abrading with sandpaper - it'll still 'snap-off' if you try, but that's life :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:35:13 pm »

But where it is in contact with the plastic it simply snaps free without any pressure at all. I bought this putty because it says smooth surfaces but I need to know whether it is OK. You are right, it seems that hardly anything bonds ABS plastic.

Did you clean the hull with a degreasant first?

The other thing you can do with styrene is dissolve waste styrene into styrene glue until you get a thick gloop. You can use this gloop as a filler, over fill the hole/gap and when the solvent has evaporated you sand down the lump of dried gloop/styrene. It will have bonded/melded into the hull.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

sandy1000

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:42 am »

Thanks for your help.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 11:43:34 am »

Graupners gulge of choice for their ABS moldings was always UHU - Hart, a solvent cement, we used to do it cheaper with Balsa Cement, same solvents.

thy this :-   http://www.thistothat.com/

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:07:05 pm »

If you want a glue that will stick anything to anything then this is the stuff for you!

I've used it several times on many jobs including sticking boat decks to hull's and other odd jobs. cracking stuff but be warned it really does stick like sh*t!

wartsilaone

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:05:24 pm »

I wouldn't expect anything el's from Evil Stik.

The long Build

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:25:10 pm »

How have evo got that past the advertising hit squad..  Thought it was a Photoshop job at first until checked it on screwfix..

Roadrunner

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »

No lie's, no photoshop 'artsy fartsy' fancy graphics, genuine product!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sticks-like-sh-t-290ml-white/22070

:}

The long Build

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 01:53:25 pm »

Does the evo go solid or does it retain an element of elasticity..

Roadrunner

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 02:17:34 pm »

Goes on like P38 and sets like concrete. but there is some surface 'rubberyness' but its mostly hard, why I think its a good product for sticking decks down to hull frame works.

pugwash

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 03:10:02 pm »

Must admit I have a tube of sticks like s**t in my shed. SWMBO didnt believe it when it arrived from Screwfix.

Geoff

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 07:25:54 pm »

i also have "Tamiya Epoxy Putty - Smooth Surface"  and the instructions say not to be used with polethylene or polyproplene
It might damage them, but most likely it just won't stick to them.

I've got a Screwfix depot under ten minutes walk away - handy product to know about, that "Sticks like shot". %)
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.