Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: calling any bristolians...  (Read 6645 times)

bikerdude666

calling any bristolians...
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:53:09 am »

Come on theres gotta be some of you out there, i'm sure i'm not the only 1 buying the boat stuff from the local model shops!

If your'e from bristol, where do you sail?

I tend to use Eastville park as its quite a nice size and seems to be quite peaceful, can get a bit lonely though if my uncle doesn't come along, just sailing my solitary boat.

triumphjon

Re: calling any bristolians...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:16:47 pm »

i suppose that includes me ? im originally from bristol although i now live in portsmouth ! a group of mainly older gents used to sail at eastville on a sunday afternoon , entering the park from under the m32 , larry w is nearby at oldland common . think most of those in bristol sail down at the salthouse feilds sea water lake down at clevedon , or at portishead lake again on a sunday & thursday morning

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »

Try the Bristol model boat club...

http://www.swambc.webeden.co.uk/#/bpmbc/4515573414  :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:45:24 pm »

the bristol pegasus model boat club , off shore ic powerboat club , sailing water is bristol docks , . of which im an ex member !

bikerdude666

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:23:31 am »

Thanks for that link, i might have to see about the club in yate, my boats aren't up to sailing in the docks lol

Is that larry a member of this site? Oldland common is about 1/2 a mile from me.

LarryW

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:19:44 am »

HI LARRY HERE;   i do most of my boating on a pool in Victoria park bath and my main club is clevendon , i went to st Georges park to look at lake there it was being used by fishermen
 and there where couple of drug users , proling around so put of a bit to go there solo , also there is pool on my door step at Barr's court which may have limited access...
 hope this helps , but there may be parking problems at some of these pools, clevendon as the best access and a pub on site BUT its salt water so a bit more after care with shafts and
 radio bits but some of the most helpfull members so there you are thats my choice BUT i still looking around for pools ......CHEERS LARRY....... O0

bikerdude666

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 04:10:59 pm »

Hi I can understand not wanting to go to st georges park, not a nice area.

Where abouts is there 1 in barrs court? Also not too nice an area but it's within walking distance from me so wouldn't have to rely on getting a lift from my gf.

I like the lake at eastville but the parking on the road under the m32 always puts me off.

Clevedon is a bit far for me, which lake do you use in Victoria park? The 1 opposite the kids play area? I always thought you weren't allowed to use that 1? Thanks.

LarryW

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 04:46:04 pm »

HI the small pond in bath park was built for model boats to replace the one they filled in its only knee deep........larry

bikerdude666

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 05:05:55 pm »

Ah right, thought it was all 1 big lake for the swans! Am I right in thinking the old lake was rectangular and had like a balcony bit with steps up either side built out of sandstone? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Will pop over tomorrow and try out bath, though it does look a little on the small side.

Thanks for your help.

LarryW

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 05:53:21 pm »

its just right for scale craft , its about the lenth of football pitch ,   no good for high speed , you also sail the large lake but be ware its as sloping shelving ,
 and bloody duck feeders , but they soon move, 

my lad copes well with this one    ......LARRY.....

triumphjon

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 09:26:02 pm »

there is supposed to be a pool behind the old station building at warmley , if your heading out of bristol on A420 as you cross whats now the cycle track , station is on left of main road  ( signal box & steam engine on right )  ive not used it myself . also worth looking at is bitterwell lakes near westerleigh ,

LarryW

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 08:46:00 am »

HI  JON;     warmley pond dryed up,   bitterwell lakes is a mug and maggot venue,   but been on the feeder once but watch out when the pleasure boats come by, and limited to one bank.
       LARRY......

triumphjon

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 02:33:05 pm »

hi larry , the basin by the old royal mail on the feeder brings back memories !  there are a few pools around trading estates , a couple at aztec west , avonmouth has serveral , check out cabot park !

triumphjon

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 02:40:58 pm »

there are two pools in blaise castle estate , not big enough for fast / big models and you have a 3/4 mile walk from the nearest car park . you may be able to use the river frome as it passes through snuffmills , or possibly duchess pond if the fishermen will let you join them ( the one visible from the m32 )

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 02:30:55 pm »

I know this topic was sent in quite a few years back but I thought I'd put a comment on regarding suitable sailing water here in Bristol as there's not a lot on offer.
I live in east Bristol the Bath pond/lake is ideal BUT the Bath council have now applied parking charges in this park but if your lucky you might be able to park right next to where your sailing and keep an eye out for wardens.???
Apart from the lakes that's mentioned on this post my favourite lake is the one at Aztec West NOT THE WINDSURFING /WATERSPORTS one if your heading from Filton towards the motorway turn left at the Aztec roundabout and there's two lakes either side of the road about 1/2 mile down next to the Virgin Media offices the waters good no reeds or plants to wrap round the prop, there's parking right next to the lake in a disused office car park and I've never been asked to move by the business parks security and even the police have been round and had a chat with me when I was down there.
Kingsgate Pk at Yate home of the Yate and Sodbury club is not bad but they do get trouble with weed /plants growing in the lake during the spring-summer months.
My local club the Shepton Mallet Drifters is 20 miles away and they got a great lake at Collet Park waters to a depth of about 18" and they sail first Sunday in the month and regatta events you can sail anytime down there but parking's an issue as apart from when they have regattas there you can't park near the lake parking is about 150-200 yards away for me its a few miles to get there but its worth it as there a good crowd.
I hope this might help anyone who live in or near Bristol
Regards
Kevin

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 08:06:11 pm »

Hi,

Portishead and Clevedon both have lovely pond facilities and free to park!

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 09:58:10 pm »

I couldn't agree with you more Rich regarding Portishead and Clevedon there good water to sail in but for me its the wrong side of Bristol.
Unfortunately Clevedon they now charge you to park there but they have revamped the lake.

Regards
Kevin

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 09:29:42 pm »

Following the messages regarding suitable sailing water in the Bristol area please find attached a photo of the lake I use at Aztec West which is in north Bristol and believe it or not this is the only time I've sailed there when the fountains have been turned on. The other added bonus is there's no swans and fisherman are not permitted to fish here so you have the lake all to yourself.

Regards
Kevin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 12:39:35 pm »

Naw! you can't beat ''Posset''  And avoiding getting stuck on the wee Island

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.