Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Exeter WWII Cruiser  (Read 3970 times)

Propslip

HMS Exeter WWII Cruiser
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:20:04 pm »

Hi All,
      A few pictures of my latest purchase bought in another fit of I MUST HAVE IT SYNDROME!!! It was in my local paper & I was unable to see it as my car was off the road. Some days later when I got it back &  I was surprised to see the model had not been sold. It repesents HMS Exeter in its final guise with  4 x twin 4 inch guns in turrets, tripod masts & 2 x 8 barrelled pom poms. Hull construction is the old bread & butter method. This is a full working model with two motors driving the four shafts, working searchllights & deck lights. The scale is 1/96, making her 6 foot long. From a few feet away it looks splendid, closer inspection reveals some pretty crude detail & paintwork that requires attention. Nevertheless many hours must have been spent building this model. In time I hope to restore it & improve the poorer aspects. For some reason there are not a lot of models of Exeter about, other than the old Matchbox & Frog kits & some plans for larger models. Photos are also scarce, at least decent ones are.
                                                             Propslip

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: HMS Exeter WWII Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:39:47 pm »

Thats nice, should be excellent with a bit of tidying up. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:24:01 pm »

It should give you a splendid model when you have done your tidying up - why dont you show the work you
do on here like Yarpie did when he renovated HMS Rodney.
She had an eventful but short WWII after being repaired following the Battle of the River plate she was
totally overwhelmed by 3  Japanese heavy cruisers and several destroyers in the Battle of the Java Seas
in 1941 and now lies in Indonesian territorial waters.

Geoff

Propslip

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:00:15 pm »

Yes I have read her history many times. I know down at Chatham, they have a super model of Graf Spee & a couple of RN cruisers but I cant remember which ones. Guess I shall just have to go & look. I would like to restore this model but fear it may join the ranks of jobs to complete. Unfortuneatly a busy retirement leaves little time for play in the shed!!!
                                              Propslip

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:08:35 pm »

All the River Plate ships are in the Chatham Model Collection although Cumberland is to a different scale. Exeter is depicted as in 1939, see photos below.

Photos of Exeter's wreck can be found here: http://www.robin-brooks.com/special-ships/hms-exeter-wreck-photos.shtml

Colin

Propslip

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:16:55 pm »

I thought I had seen that model. I shall have to go over & get some more photos, superb!! Wrong period but still lots of detail to look at.
                                   Propslip
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.