Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Advice Wanted Please : )  (Read 1372 times)

Tebby

Newbie Advice Wanted Please : )
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »

hi guys, my names Karl and l`m from Grantham, just joined this great looking forum with hope in getting some info on a kit l just bought from a boot sale.

I am a complete novice when it comes to boats, l`ve really been building Tamiya 1/16th scale radio control tanks, but this would be my first boat!

l`ve searched the web but can find nothing about it.

Its a Veron Damen Stantug Dutch Harbour or sea going tug kit, mostly built but unpainted, all the plans etc look to be there.

My question is, were these kits good quality and is it worth my while completing the model or better starting with something simpler from scratch?

Any advice would be much appreciated  :-) 

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie Advice Wanted Please : )
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 02:29:26 pm »

Hi Karl, the 'Veron' company from my knowledge was a kit manufacturer of about 30 years past, if yours is one of the same then you need to know if the materials are in good shape!! As regards 'Damen stan tug' the 'Damen' is a dutch real tug manufacturer and the 'Stan' is for 'Standardised' as in they sell a range of standard hull lengh/width/depth/design hulls which the buyer can then select from a range of engines/ancillaries/superstructures (a bit like lego building to a degree) thus although their vessels of each class look similar there are a multitude of variations. This is good for the model maker because there is a range of vessels to model and a large pot of artistic license. If the kit seems sound, then enjoy and build. If you have doubts then I would recommend a talk/visit to Brian Ward of MMM just outside Lincoln. As he is a font of knowledge on these 'Damen' vessels.Google 'Damen stan tug' images, I have built a few and have a collection of workable images that can be passed along for model reference purposes.
What ever you decide to do..... Seek help, advice....research....ENJOY.
Kind regards
Pirate

Tebby

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:25:04 pm »

hi Pirate,

many many thanks for the advice and thumbs up  :-))

Think l`ll do as you suggest and take it along with me next time l go to Lincoln, as it stands it came with 2 other kits, a Graupner Collie yacht and an old Veron glider.l was told some parts may have gotten mixed up  %)

Hence the reason l had to buy all 3 kits, the seller could`nt say if they were mixed and would`nt split them up.

They were all in boxes, but the lids box bottoms were inside the lids, so a nightmare to sort out without spending hours going through part by part!

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 05:51:18 pm »

PM sent
Pirate :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.