Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hull waterproofing  (Read 3915 times)

Pete25

Hull waterproofing
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:42:33 pm »

need to waterproof my hull. my hull is all wood .. im not sure what to use. i need loads of it as my hull is 6foot long so price needs to be reasonable. i had a look on ebay but im confused as to what i need to be looking for  {-)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Hull waterproofing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:55:05 pm »

Well to start with there is primer, paint and varnish. I have a yacht thats 50 years old done that way. However, you could use glass fibre tissue and resin. This gives a waterproof hull and also adds a little strength. I have uses Zpoxy finishing resin with satisfactory results on 3 boats now.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:50:56 pm »

'Ronseal Exterior Wood Sealer' comes in clear and 'stains' .. .then your paint finish over the top  job done 1L tins around £10 mark, two-three coats should be enough to seal the wood and keep the water off it.

But if you want a durable hard wearing finish then i suggest looking into an epoxy and tissue coat the boat.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:33:56 pm »

That's a glue Pete, what are you going to stick to the hull with it? Is the surface "Raw" or has it been primed? What sort of wood is it?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:39:26 pm »

this is what i use for all wooden hull's

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/products/wood-finishes/exterior-finishes/ronseal-shed-and-fence-preserver.htm

buy the 'clear' if you are painting over the top as stains can soak into the paint coats. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.