Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are boaters not up to speed?  (Read 8024 times)

Dekan

Are boaters not up to speed?
« on: May 15, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »

Recently a club member expressed an interest in knowing what a Canadian fishing tug looked like, so I offered to email him a Url of a web site with lots of pictures and info...

He replied that he didn't use email or the internet....

So I conducted a straw poll of fellow club members, a disappointing number claimed they never used the Internet, although a few of them said they knew how to turn a computer on..

One of my boats uses a Lipo battery, I have loads for use in my electric rc planes, a few club members claimed they had never seen one before {:-{

That being said my fellow club mates attitude must be rubbing off on me.... as Im now too tight to buy a Nimh battery when I have some lipos I can use ok2... I have been thinking about re using some old Nicads I have stashed away somewhere...

Nige52

Re: Are boaters not up to speed?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:28:03 pm »

Which club do you belong to Dekan? Not the Darby and Joan club is it?  %% {-) {-) {-)

Yes, we also have members that don't go near modern technology  ;)

Dekan

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:38:42 pm »

Which club do you belong to Dekan? Not the Darby and Joan club is it?  %% {-) {-) {-)

Yes, we also have members that don't go near modern technology  ;) }

I don't recognize the names..I don't think the they turn up at the "lake" very often :}

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:41 pm »

Ditto the KLMBC, about half and half ... Mind you we mostly are a bunch of oid Coggers And "Sot" in our ways.
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:39:19 pm »

>>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< <:( <:( :kiss: :kiss:

Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 01:37:37 am »

What an odd attitude to take. Why should people be forced to use this stuff if they don't want to, or be considered weird if they don't participate.
Sorry but you are getting the brunt of my ire about the morons at TVlicencing who send me loads of threatening letters because I don't ring them up and explain why I don't want to buy their rubbish.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:46:32 am »

What an odd attitude to take. Why should people be forced to use this stuff if they don't want to, or be considered weird if they don't participate.

O0 O0 O0 :-)) :-)) :-))

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:53:11 am »

Horses for courses

Wouldn't life be dull if we all did and acted the same.

Just imagine a lake full of identical boats all doing exactly the same thing. Unless you like precision sailing, I think it would be pretty boring after a while.

That said I'd be lost without the internet, but that's just me.  %%
Don't Assume Check

Yarpie

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:14:08 am »

Taking up on Bee's point, I don't subscribe to HD (High Definition) TV sets.

It's modern technology, but my failing eyesight is not compatible with that technology. My wife and I will never see (pun intended) the full clarity of a HD screen.

So we will save our meagre resources and not buy the revolutionary marvel just for the sake of it.

The same applies to my model boats. If they aint broke, why fit more complex technology that has a greater propensity to going wrong.

Yours sincerely,

Frederick Flintstone of Bedrock City. :D

Roadrunner

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 12:08:10 pm »

To be honest it make me wonder how we ever coped 60 years ago with out computers or tv's, i swear if i took my wife's mobile phone and hid it for 24 hours she would have a nervous break down!

Its sad to think that the younger generation like myself are quite reliant on these gadgets to survive, where as the older generations have either taken on the gadgets for enjoyment or other reasons where as most don't want to know and nor do they care.

I have no doubt that by the time i have grandchildren it wouldn't surprise me if everyone has computer chips embedded in there arms with tv's phone, etc all built in, I suppose its the way we progress, im sure in times gone by the steam engine was considered a new radical technology, then along came the motor engine, then jet engines now hybrid cars.. progress to anti gravity next me thinks  :D

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 12:39:00 pm »

Taking up on Bee's point, I don't subscribe to HD (High Definition) TV sets.

It's modern technology, but my failing eyesight is not compatible with that technology. My wife and I will never see (pun intended) the full clarity of a HD screen.

So we will save our meagre resources and not buy the revolutionary marvel just for the sake of it.

The same applies to my model boats. If they aint broke, why fit more complex technology that has a greater propensity to going wrong.

Yours sincerely,

Frederick Flintstone of Bedrock City. :D

Funny you say that.... My father in law was talking to one of his customers about getting his new TV setup.... HD TV, HD Digi box and included the flippant remark "I have even upgraded my glasses to HD!"

Funny thing is said customer went to the optician to ask for HD glasses

I kid you not!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »

I find the internet an excellent resource for research, however, there is nothing to beat the local libraries naval section. I can step in there, armed with a handful of coinage for the photocopier, a pen and pad, and be in there for the best part of a day flicking through books. Books, they are like the internet, only not 'made up'!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »

Horses for courses

Wouldn't life be dull if we all did and acted the same.

Just imagine a lake full of identical boats all doing exactly the same thing. Unless you like precision sailing, I think it would be pretty boring after a while.

Am I missing something  :o :o :o
But isn't that what is happening on this forum  O0 O0 O0 seem to recall some are building springers and others building flowerer's and others schnellboots and so on it goes. {-) {-) {-)
After all what is a Navy and a Naval sailing day identical boats all doing exactly the same thing %% %% %% {-) {-) {-) O0 O0 O0
Mayhem at its best Viva Mayhem :-)) :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 04:15:49 pm »

For those who assume that most people are 'on line' it's interesting to look at it from another perspective. There are nominally just over 6,000 members on Mayhem. This number is only a small fraction of the monthly circulation of either of the two main model boating magazines. There are probably not much more than 100 members posting on a regular basis which is only a tiny fraction of the joint monthly magazine circulation. Then, on top of that we all know that many modellers don't take the magazines anyway.

So on the basis of that you could argue that Online Model Boaters are a rare species indeed. But then of course you can prove anything with statistics....

Food for thought though.

Colin

Dekan

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 05:09:03 pm »

Am I missing something  :o :o :o
But isn't that what is happening on this forum  O0 O0 O0 seem to recall some are building springers and others building flowerer's and others schnellboots and so on it goes. {-) {-) {-)
After all what is a Navy and a Naval sailing day identical boats all doing exactly the same thing %% %% %% {-) {-) {-) O0 O0 O0yhem at its best Viva Mayhem :-)) :-))

My fellow club members are into tugs and they are all , in many ways, quite different..

furball

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 04:33:58 pm »

, however, there is nothing to beat the local libraries naval section.

Our local library has very, very little in the way of any non-fiction books on boats  :((

I let my membership lapse a long time ago when it had a 'makeover', and they replaced all the full height closely packed shelves with ones about 4'6" high scattered sparsely around.

I reckon they must have got rid of at least 2/3rds of the books they used to have.

Lance

triumphjon

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:24:27 am »

as with many things in our lives not everybody wishes to use modern technology in order to communicate , according to our local job centre this government wants everybody to be computer literate by 2012 ! they have however failed to account for those of the population who have no interest in doing so . Until i moved in with my present partner late in 2009 i had no interest in using this device , it cant repair either my own car ( its still uses points & condensor in the dizzy ) it also cant repair or paint my truck , it certainly cant drive for me , so i never saw any point in buying one ! ! i can remember as a courier having to phone back to base after every delivery as the mobile phone wasnt a common place item now almost everybody owns at least one . in our models technology has produced better quality motors , batteries and electronics some of which are a mine field to understand . providing the operator can control his / her model safely what does it matter if the technology they are using is 40 plus years old or weather its the latest equipment ?

Dekan

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 05:05:51 pm »

as with many things in our lives not everybody wishes to use modern technology in order to communicate , according to our local job centre this government wants everybody to be computer literate by 2012 ! they have however failed to account for those of the population who have no interest in doing so . Until i moved in with my present partner late in 2009 i had no interest in using this device , it cant repair either my own car ( its still uses points & condensor in the dizzy ) it also cant repair or paint my truck , it certainly cant drive for me , so i never saw any point in buying one ! ! i can remember as a courier having to phone back to base after every delivery as the mobile phone wasnt a common place item now almost everybody owns at least one . in our models technology has produced better quality motors , batteries and electronics some of which are a mine field to understand . providing the operator can control his / her model safely what does it matter if the technology they are using is 40 plus years old or weather its the latest equipment ?

Unfortunately "online" is much cheaper for governments, big companies and large organization etc...I suspect that in the very near future it will much harder to do lots of things other than "online"  :((

So being a "low tech" household will not be an option...So my advice is "get up to speed" or you may find that you have become a second class citizen. :o

wartsilaone

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 05:20:28 pm »

Not long back my computer crashed. It coincided with the time of year when all my insurance policies needed to be renewed. I found I was being discriminated against for not having the internet because I couldn't get the online deals. People who don't have access to the internet are definitely losing out.

Ali.

Dekan

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 06:17:45 pm »

Not long back my computer crashed. It coincided with the time of year when all my insurance policies needed to be renewed. I found I was being discriminated against for not having the internet because I couldn't get the online deals. People who don't have access to the internet are definitely losing out.

Ali.
Lots of products on the internet only available online...

wartsilaone

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 06:26:44 pm »

You know what I mean! :} :}

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 11:58:35 pm »

Ali.

Very true, Ali. Recently my mobile phone died, so I went to my local Telstra (the major Australian telco) store to see if it was repairable. It wasn't, so they gave me a new one. When I was asked what plan I was on, I was told that the one I had, which I obtained on line, was far better than any plan the store could have offered me, with the same telco.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 03:35:58 am »

Soon you won't be able to go to the Library either.  <:(
One of my grand daughters has a 'Kindle' reader and can download almost any book at 1/4 the price of buying a paper version.   3 others are able to access books on their mobile phones, although it's a bit hard to read on the small screens.  >:-o

oldflyer2

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 09:21:40 am »

It's just after 4am here. I can't sleep so I am researching tug boats and various bits and pieces I need for a couple of new builds I am working on. My local library won't be open for hours yet and even when they are, they don't have the info I need.

I have been messing with these things since the Apple II+ days and they are an invaluable source of information but I know people that won't go near one. Sometimes I don't blame those people at all. The spamming and identity theft and fraud that occurs on line is horrendous ... but, we do it anyway.

Cel phone ... got one but I usually don't know where it is. It is the cheapest plan available and it is used for emergency use only (approx 15 minutes total in the last three years). I truly hate those things.

I too love to sit in the library and and read a real book or magazine. I saw last week that one Toronto school board is going to close the libraries in it's schools as they believe it is out dated and a waste of money. That's progress I guess.

Cheers,

Tom

rmaddock

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 07:51:49 pm »

Can I "sort of" agree with OldFlyer there?

I am now, I must finally admit, middle aged having passed the big 4-0 a few years ago. However, I've been around IT (that's what we call anything that plugs in now-a-days  :D) since the age of 10 (a ZX81 to be precise...with 16k expansion!).

I fully agree with the sentiment that if you don't want the technology then you should NOT (I missed that word out 'till I proof read this. Phew!) be forced to have it but those same people are wrong to suggest that it's all a waste of time and space. T'internet is a wonderful thing. It puts more information at your fingertips than has ever, in the whole history of the world, been available to anybody anywhere at any time! And no, that is not hyperbole. (First time I've ever used that word in anger.  :-)))

For instance. I was trying to decide what would be my next modelling project whilst driving home from the lake the last time it wasn't raining here in Cumbria. I remembered something I'd heard about some time back; a locally built prawn fishing boat that had recently been rescued and restored. Within no more than ten minutes of being home (not hyperbole either %%)  I had not only tracked her down, found many pictures and got in preliminary contact with the current owners, but had also researched GRP hulls for same.

You cannot do that "old school" unless you are prepared to spend months and months waiting for books which won't have what you want in them and people not to reply to letters.

I'm also training to be a primary school teacher. The school I'm placed in currently has a very fine library but it's probably 99% fiction. If you want information about almost anything then you don't have it......except that we've all got PCs in the corners of our classrooms now and, with a little care, children can learn about the universe and how it ticks.  Books go out of date almost before they're published in many cases.

On the other hand, I just bought two books about model sailing boats and very fine they are too. A lovely reference to have but I know that I'll use them again and again.  But I bet if I hadn't been feeling frivolous that day I could have found it all online.

The internet will change everything......All hail the internet!  We worship you oh internet!  :embarrassed:

Sorry, rant over.

TTFN.
Robert.

PS. I own a Kindle! Wonderful thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.