Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Off shore Power boats - New here, here's my project........  (Read 11938 times)

Phantom1

Re: Off shore Power boats - New here, here's my project........
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2007, 10:39:38 pm »

cool, the engine that you are using, did you get that off ebay from a guy in walsall?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 12:12:38 am »

i got mine from a guy in scotland he had loads i have two this guy in walsal he isnt caleld euan is he?.its a good little engine for 15 quid which is what i paid and its better than the mcculoch ones by far.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 12:18:51 am »

how much do these Zens cost to buy? ;)
Got mine for around £300. Mine has been modified though, and that is included in the cost of that motor. (It's called a Zen 7)

Glenn

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 12:34:31 am »

mmmm decisions decisions!!! ???

i think the first boat will have to be nitro, just to test the water so to speak! i have a bit of experience using nitro in cars so maybe a good starting point.

cheers for your help chaps, i'll be needing a lot more soon!!! ;D

Here you go Phantom. This should just about shove your boat around for you, but remember, the throttle goes both ways!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CMB-90-Racing-Engine-for-FSRV-Multi-Offshore-OMRA-Boat_W0QQitemZ190089612213QQihZ009QQcategoryZ140971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190089612213

retro boats

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 11:22:46 am »

hi all
 if the boat was mine i would fit nitro engine. it will cause you less problems.
 unless you want a boat to trim your hedge with.
in my mind  the sparky is to heavy + ignition systems & water don't mix.
 a good saying
 easy to Sarto essayer to stop
     good luck Steve

ids987

Re: New here, here's my project........
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 12:00:59 pm »

I don't use the American system of two strips of ply up the middle (don't know what they call them) ???

Hi Danny,
Stringers is the word. Just wondering, do you have any tips for an easy way to cut them out please ?

Ian

omra85

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 01:17:43 pm »

IF the hull is strong enough -
use a cutting disc in a Dremel along the inside hull/stringer join. Repeat on the outside of the join (as much as you can get at) taking GREAT CARE not to go through the hull :-[  when you have cut away as much as possible

modellers of a nervous disposition may want to look away at this point...

take a 1/2" wood chisel and using it bevel side down and at a shallow angle, hack away the ply :-\
If you initially concentrate on the transom end, once you get the first bit free, you can then "waggle" the ply fairly forcefully to break the rest of the join.
Once the ply is out, you will be left with lots of glass tape with the edges poking up.  Grip these with a pair of pincers and lever against the hull (gently or you'll crack the hull) the tape should come off bringing most of the resin with it.  All thats left is to grind out the rest using a flap wheel or power file.

OK guys, you can open your eyes again ;D ;D

The Butcher

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 01:21:58 pm »

Danny,

rough... but effective. I was reading Ian's question as how to cut out the ply to make stringers - not remove them form the hull. Oops. I got it wrong again.

Glenn

PS. BTW Danny, you have a PM from me.

Cheers

omra85

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 01:27:37 pm »

Bl**dy H*ll Glenn, I hope I've understood the question, otherwise Ian going to have some REALLY rough looking stringers :o ;D
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

hi all
 if the boat was mine i would fit nitro engine. it will cause you less problems.
 unless you want a boat to trim your hedge with.
in my mind  the sparky is to heavy + ignition systems & water don't mix.
 a good saying
 easy to Sarto essayer to stop
     good luck Steve
shows what you know doesnt it!! ::)the zenoah is probably more reliable than any nitro engine and willlast a heck of a lot longer too.and yep easy to start inexpensive to run and fast!!.for any big boat the only propper way to power it is petrol thats my opinion.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New here, here's my project........
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 01:59:46 pm »

I don't use the American system of two strips of ply up the middle (don't know what they call them) ???

Hi Danny,
Stringers is the word. Just wondering, do you have any tips for an easy way to cut them out please ?

Ian

are you wanting to remove stringers or make stringers to go in the boat? if the boat has stringers done remove them why would you? its a simple way to install an engine all you need is ali angle to hang the motor from using rubber isolators  to stop too much vibration.

ids987

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2007, 02:55:30 pm »

Danny,

Thanks a lot - you got it the right way. I bought a "built" Challenger 48 on eBay some months ago. It had a fuel tank compartment glassed into the nose between the stringers, as well as a load of foam around it - just to make it more interesting to get the stringers out. I was going to try a few vertical cuts in the ply, Dremel the join, and break it free, but maybe I won't need the cuts. If I can get the back free, the leverage might help break what's in the nose away from what's left of the fuel tank compartment and foam. Otherwise I guess I'll have to cut and leave those bits. The hull (and deck) have already seen a chisel - getting out what I could of the fuel tank compartment. It should be strong enough, it's a pretty thick layup - product of someone's shed I suspect. Now what was that you said about a belt sander ???

Martno1fan,

I'm trying to make room for a "multi" type fuel tank - as far back as possible. Otherwise I will have to try and build a radio box between the stringers, and put a couple of 1L poly fuel tanks either side - outside the stringers (just about room for the tanks, but the radio box wil be a pain). Also, as I think the resin in the nose (as above) has soaked into the foam to some extent, I want to try and get what I can out and start again. At the moment - in the nose, the stringers, foam, and what's left of the compartment are all in my way of getting at the others, so if I can get rid of one of them......... Maybe I should start on the foam first...... With a spoon.

All the Best:
Ian

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2007, 04:59:54 pm »

Thinners may dissolve the foam for you Ian.

Depends what type of foam it is but I think it does for some, either that or nail varnish remover.

G

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2007, 05:54:43 pm »

ian you can use iv bags for tanks in a boat i know the guys use them for petrol tanks dont see why not for nitro?.might save some work for you  ;).by the way thinners will disolve foam but if the boats made from poly resin it may eat the whole boat  :o :'(

omra85

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2007, 08:05:37 pm »

As a point of iinterest, I stopped using 2 pack or expanding foam a few years ago.  In those bad old days, other racers were almost constantly running into my boat :o  I know, difficult to believe but true as I stand here!
To get at the front, I had to dig out the foam - with a spoon ;D  Then sand the residue off, before I could glass it up.
I now use 15mm x 25mm wall, pipe insulation, if I lived near the sea I would get those 5ft foam swimming floats which are solid foam ??? which are sold to send children out to sea. :)
Cut it to the various lengths required to go across the nose (some have a slight angle, some have up to 60 deg). Cut slightly oversize and wedge in.  Just in front of the engine, I glass a screw into the 'V' of the hull, then make an ally bracket with a right angle to fasten to the screw which keeps the whole lot in.
Result - far less weight and access to the nose!  I know that some say the foam helps strengthen the front, but then we're back to driving skills ;D
You might be able to make out what I'm on about in one of my earlier pics on this thread.
Danny

ids987

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 01:00:38 pm »

Hi Glenn and Martin,

Thanks, I hadn't thought of using chemical means - but it might be worth a shout. I don't think thinners will attack cured polyester - at least not in the short term, and if acetone (high purity nail varnish remover), will dissolve the foam, that's definitely an option. High purity acetone is probably my favourite cleaner / degreaser - and quite cheap in quantity from GRP equipment suppliers.
I had thought about IV bags for fuel tanks, but wasn't sure whether they would stand nitro. Nitro boats also tend to need more fuel - especially for up to half hour run time. I do remember someone using a "bladder tank" with a SC .91 in a Giant Apache though.....

Danny,

I use pipe lagging for buoyancy when I'm building now as well. In this case though, I've got to work with (or remove !) what was already there. If chemicals don't work, it might just be down to what size spoon to use.

Cheers:
Ian

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 01:04:45 pm »

failing that theres allways the blow torch!! :o

ids987

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2007, 01:55:12 pm »

failing that theres allways the blow torch!! :o

Could work - I wonder how much petrol the buoyancy foam will hold. Those Vikings knew a thing or two.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 02:21:32 pm »

if they used propper stuff it shouldnt have any fuel in it as it shouldnt absorb water so shouldnt absorb fuel either.stand by with the fire extinguisher just in case  :o.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 02:41:57 pm »

Hi Glenn and Martin,

Thanks, I hadn't thought of using chemical means - but it might be worth a shout. I don't think thinners will attack cured polyester - at least not in the short term, and if acetone (high purity nail varnish remover), will dissolve the foam, that's definitely an option. High purity acetone is probably my favourite cleaner / degreaser - and quite cheap in quantity from GRP equipment suppliers.
I had thought about IV bags for fuel tanks, but wasn't sure whether they would stand nitro. Nitro boats also tend to need more fuel - especially for up to half hour run time. I do remember someone using a "bladder tank" with a SC .91 in a Giant Apache though.....

Danny,

I use pipe lagging for buoyancy when I'm building now as well. In this case though, I've got to work with (or remove !) what was already there. If chemicals don't work, it might just be down to what size spoon to use.

Cheers:
Ian
The IV bags I have will definitely be no good for methanol fuel, the pipe coming out of them are hard plastic, which is the same as the stuff used on fish tank air lines etc. - goes hard with methanol, so IV bags a non starter - also probably too small.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2007, 02:56:49 pm »

im sure they do large ones? do they not use some on nitro boats over the pond im sure ive seen some used .maybe dif to youres i dont know.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 12:22:18 am »

They do make different sizes of IV bags.

The ones I got are made of PVC as is the "take off" tube so they are no good for glow fuel (Methanol), they will go rock hard.

Glenn

ids987

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2007, 04:19:42 pm »

if they used propper stuff it shouldnt have any fuel in it as it shouldnt absorb water so shouldnt absorb fuel either.stand by with the fire extinguisher just in case  :o.
Sorry, Poor attempt at humour. I meant that if I could get the foam to soak up enough petrol, and with the aid of the blowtorch, I could give it a Viking burial.

Ian

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2007, 05:58:22 pm »

Methanol burns cleaner I think and is easier to light.....  :D

Think it's got to be the Shetlands for boat burning time.

G

ids987

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2007, 12:03:51 pm »

But you can't see methanol flames.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.