Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairmile D Build  (Read 4329 times)

FrankM

Fairmile D Build
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »

Hi All,

well I was never going to do this but having sent some pics of my boat to Longshanks, he has convinced me I should post some pics of my Fairmile D on the forum.  I have asked questions re the build in the past and have received some good advice so thanks to all who have contributed to my project so far. 

At this stage, I'd say I was about 90% done.  All the electrics are in and working fine.  As you'll see, there are a lot of fittings on the deck but still some major bits to do.  The superstructure and most of the fittings are scratch built.  As noted in previous post, the rubbish I received from some "Precision" mob was totally unusable.

I guess apart from lots of small detail, the main bits remaining are the torpedo rails and tubes, the .5" Vickers and their tubs, the catwalks and the railings.  Little things like smoke units, fore deck Carley floats, the winch and storage boxes are all in various stages of construction.  Of course, I'll need some little people to crew the ship - any suggestions as to a supplier of quality sailors would be welcome. 

So hopefully these pics will load.

Cheers,
Frank

pugwash

Re: Fairmile D Build
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:14:02 pm »

Frank that looks a really excellent build. Would be nice to see the pics when it is totally complete.

Geoff

FrankM

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:48:18 pm »

Thanks Geoff.

It will be a little while till it's finished - there are some new commitments such as a new full time job after a few months out of work.  Good for modelling but not the bank balance.

I neglected in my first post to pay special tribute to John Lambert.  Not only was his book on the Fairmile D invaluable but he was extremely helpful with advice and plans, particularly on building the Mk9 Bandstand for the Oerlikon.

Cheers,
Frank

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:45:29 pm »

Excellent model, very well done Frank.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:49:39 pm »

Hi Frank

Excellent build, i bought my figures from Precision Controls although HSL Mouldings do some nice ones...

Thanks

Russ

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:17:28 pm »

Frank,

Glad to see you followed my suggestion,this is definitely one to be shared  ok2

Russ,

Looking good  :-))

Nice to see some coastal forces on here rather those great big ugly battleships   %)

Started this week on a plug for a 1/35 Harbour Defence Motor Launch from John Lambert's plans.

Gra

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:18 am »

Hi
A shot of my Fairmile D i hope.
Frank and i hope to get together in the future with another of my cl ub members with his D.
Three together should look great.

Gra

Gra

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:05 am »

A few more shots.

Still making 20mm Oerlikon and bandstand.

Gra

Gra

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:11:19 am »

Having trouble posting more than one photo at a time.

Gra

Gra

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 10:24:43 am »

One more photo.

Gra

FrankM

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 09:43:37 am »

Well, here is a different sort of question.

I'm getting very close to finishing this build.  I've built 3 stowage boxes that can be placed on the deck.

Question is:  What sort of "stuff" would typically be in these boxes if perchance, one should happen to be open and the contents visible.  Would it be ropes, buoys or what????

Hopefully, some pics of the completed boat in a couple of weeks.

Frank

Gra

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48:14 am »

Hi Frank,

I have a photo showing slatted storage boxes with no lid containg ropes and what looks like a tarp.Tarps could be for guns or possibly to cover front opening on torp tube etc.
Boxes mounted near torpedo scallops on forward deck.

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.