Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Help and advice needed for Huntsman 47"  (Read 19211 times)

aslo44

Help and advice needed for Huntsman 47"
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:00:24 pm »

Hi, I'm a newbie looking for advice on renovating a 47" huntsman that I recently bought. There is no super structure and the deck needs to be sorted.
 I've searched the forum to find information on the position of the prop and rudder on this size but can only find the smaller 34" info. The single prop
on this hull is 225mm from the transom and the rudder is 155mm from transom . and to me they seem a long way forward compared to other model
boats. Can anyone please advise me on this ? Also where the shaft comes into the hull it isn't high enough to connect the 850 motor, so would it be
ok to add a smaller length shaft to the original using coupllings ? I hope I don't have to move the whole thing to the rear. Any help and advice would
be great thanks in advance. Alan.
 P.S. a few pics.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help and advice needed for Huntsman 47"
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:21:25 pm »

You could use a drop down Belt pulley set.Depending on size you could extend the prop shaft by replacing as
youve said with a longer shaft. Im sure that MMB  would make you a shaft to length either 4mm or 5mm
to accept current prop range.The bushes in your tube would need to be drilled as req. John.   

aslo44

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 06:55:29 pm »

You could use a drop down Belt pulley set.Depending on size you could extend the prop shaft by replacing as
youve said with a longer shaft. Im sure that MMB  would make you a shaft to length either 4mm or 5mm
to accept current prop range.The bushes in your tube would need to be drilled as req. John.   
Thanks John, I was hoping I could just extend the shaft using a 100mm or so shaft connected
to my existing shaft using universal joint, but like I said" I'm a newbie" so I'll take whatever advice I can get.
 Have you any advice on the position of the prop and rudder on the hull, thats my main concern. Thanks for your answer.Alan

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:00:53 pm »

i will have a look later as ive got a set of the precedent instruction sheets along with some templates for the 46" version . my own models of huntsman are all the smaller 34" versions

aslo44

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:17:25 pm »

i will have a look later as ive got a set of the precedent instruction sheets along with some templates for the 46" version . my own models of huntsman are all the smaller 34" versions
Cheers triumphjon, much appreciated.I hope to make a decent boat out of what there is so I'll need all the help I can get. Alan

Roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:39:36 pm »

Aye i know you do because i mailed them to you! they are however designed for a 47" (46.5") huntsman 28 not a 31 so its best to keep that in mind if you wish to make that version.

the shafts location was designed for a Ic engine setup, that's why its so far back I relocated mine to the correct location and went to twin shafts, twin rudders running of twin 600's of 12v, she's got a reasonable cruising speed using 40mm x props.

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 11:08:54 pm »

yes they were very useful roadrunner , hows your variant getting along ?  i have the pair of templates that would allow building either a h31 aft cabin or h31 open cockpit . The instruction booklet has the propshaft exiting the hull 16" from the transom and the rudder at 4 1/2 " from the transom !  like roadrunner ive opted to build both of my huntsmans & my spear with twin shafts in the same positions as on the full sized vessels . another good source of reference photos is the fairey owners page on facebook !

Roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:26:51 pm »

My shafts exited i think top of my head 5" from the stern rudder 1" from the stern if memory serves, this gave the right proportion to the boat.
My only mistake was when building it was not to take into account the rear deck, which on a 28/huntress is supposed to be basically none existent where as i kept with the kits original form and left it making the boat a tad longer, so its ended up as a 'hybrid' (although really it was a right cock up!) the mistake however was that i changed my plan mid point by then the hull was fitted together leaving little room to fix the issue without stripping back a few weeks work, needless to say i hate doing that, so left it but i think it looks rather ok,

You do have to remember with the Fairly Range that many purchased did end up converted in some way or the other, im just putting mine down to owners preference to have a rear deck, which also worked out well given that the ladder support is in place which some of them had, where as others had some turning fins/water brakes which ever you want to call it.

What i should point out is i used twin 8" shafts which at the right angle to take a 40x prop fitting nicely through the central bulkhead allowing for the motors to fit in the hull even when the lower internal deck drops its a close fit but it worked out well!,

Mind you i did see a huntsman converted on ebay the other day to umm a 'mega yacht' pretty badly done to be fair but these hulls are versatile so you can build anything on the top if you wish.  

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUXURY-POWERED-MODEL-CRUISER-PACIFIC-PRINCESS-/110664428526?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19c41d2bee#ht_871wt_905

cliff2903

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:49:28 am »

from Vic Smeed,s  1 1/2" - ft plan  (1/8 scale), shaft angle is approx 13 degrees  :-)

aslo44

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 12:10:32 pm »

My shafts exited i think top of my head 5" from the stern rudder 1" from the stern if memory serves, this gave the right proportion to the boat.
My only mistake was when building it was not to take into account the rear deck, which on a 28/huntress is supposed to be basically none existent where as i kept with the kits original form and left it making the boat a tad longer, so its ended up as a 'hybrid' (although really it was a right cock up!) the mistake however was that i changed my plan mid point by then the hull was fitted together leaving little room to fix the issue without stripping back a few weeks work, needless to say i hate doing that, so left it but i think it looks rather ok,

You do have to remember with the Fairly Range that many purchased did end up converted in some way or the other, im just putting mine down to owners preference to have a rear deck, which also worked out well given that the ladder support is in place which some of them had, where as others had some turning fins/water brakes which ever you want to call it.

What i should point out is i used twin 8" shafts which at the right angle to take a 40x prop fitting nicely through the central bulkhead allowing for the motors to fit in the hull even when the lower internal deck drops its a close fit but it worked out well!,

Mind you i did see a huntsman converted on ebay the other day to umm a 'mega yacht' pretty badly done to be fair but these hulls are versatile so you can build anything on the top if you wish.   

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUXURY-POWERED-MODEL-CRUISER-PACIFIC-PRINCESS-/110664428526?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19c41d2bee#ht_871wt_905

Thanks roadrunner, I will probably create my own superstructure (not too far from the original) as I don't have the plans for it. My main worry was position of prop and rudder
 I don't fancy trying to take the old ones out as they were put in with loads of glue and whatever else they used (as you can see in the pics)
triumphjon has stated that the instruction book  says 16" from transom for prop and 41/2" for rudder, mine are about that so I might just take a risk and leave them. Thankyou all for
your input. Alan

Roadrunner

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 03:15:37 pm »

Alan, ask John (triumphjon) to mail you the templates i drew up for him for the cabin and rear deck section, this way you have some basics to go off, sure he can mail you my hard work at the cost of a stamp!  :-)) if not pm me an address and i will send you a new set from my originals

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 03:50:32 pm »

roadrunner the offer has been made via pm ! ive managed to get my own huntsman31 onto the water , the twin 777 motors are running well on 14 volts , just have to play with props now !

aslo44

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:47 pm »

Alan, ask John (triumphjon) to mail you the templates i drew up for him for the cabin and rear deck section, this way you have some basics to go off, sure he can mail you my hard work at the cost of a stamp!  :-)) if not pm me an address and i will send you a new set from my originals
Thanks Roadrunner, for the offer but Jon has already made me the offer. Much appreciate the help from both of you. Alan

aslo44

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 11:04:38 am »

I have decided to plank over the plywood deck of this boat with mahogany strips. Can anyone advise me on the best adhesive to use? I was thinking contact adhesive but it can be a bit tricky with shaky hands LoL. Any help
please?

Roadrunner

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 11:29:28 am »

Wood glue works well, there are some quick grab ones out there, depending on the size of the planks ( for the 47" 6mm planking is best for scale) you can pin it in place with some needle pins while the glue dry s.

As a suggestion the original boats were planked with lime which greys over time, and used walnut as the trim. (its also cheaper to buy  then mahogany)

aslo44

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »

Wood glue works well, there are some quick grab ones out there, depending on the size of the planks ( for the 47" 6mm planking is best for scale) you can pin it in place with some needle pins while the glue dry s.

As a suggestion the original boats were planked with lime which greys over time, and used walnut as the trim. (its also cheaper to buy  then mahogany)
Hi roadrunner, nice of you to keep on coming to my assistance. Unfortunately I have already ordered 1/4" mahogany strips along with 1/16" bass strips to go between them.
I um med and arrred over the width of planking for ages and settled on 1/4" I thought it better to be a bit narrow than a bit wide ( then again I am new to this)
 I already have some Evostic waterproof PVA is that the kind of thing you mean? By the way I got those templates for the cabins off Jon today so thanks for your involvement in those.

Roadrunner

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 01:43:08 pm »

No worries bud.. evil stick works well, i use a pva exterior wood glue from my local hardware store so its unbranded but it works just as well and anything else.

When glueing the planks on start with the central 'king plank' and work outwards, in a diagonal pattern ( i say diagonal as this is what the 'planked dec huntsman had but your free to plank straight)  the wood glue gives plenty of work time so get the central plank accurate or it will show up errors as you get further to the edge, pin in each plank with a needle pin, or drawing pin either works once the planks in the right place, this also allows you to continually plank rather then wait for the glue to go off.

I've uploaded some photos of the way the real decks are planked, and one as the race version were with a painted deck so you can see the variety's between them.

If you have any issues with the templates give me a PM since i drew those ones up i know exactly how they fit, they will however leave you with an inaccurate rear end having a raised rear deck which the originals never did, something i have to live with, but the final effects i think are quite good, as this does leave more room for the rudder to work ( which mind were located right at the back! I will try to upload some photo's of my build in those areas later this evening if the kids settle quick tonight.

triumphjon

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 04:43:11 pm »

re decks , should be planked in teak , as per full sized ones ! ive done mine in teak veneer which i cut into 5mm wide strips , just didnt knotch the king planks . there are some very good close up shots on tales from the boat yard "mirak " site . scott is presently replacing all of the deck planks on his huntsman 31 following a very long restoration ! my planks are held down with medium cyno , the caukling is black thread or shearing elastic . jon

aslo44

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 06:34:37 pm »

Hi Jon, thanks for the templates got them this morning just waiting for materials now. I've chosen to attempt to plank mine in mahogany and bass strips (just my choice) after all there are that many variations on this boat I haven't
seen two look alikes yet even the three above are all different. I want to put my mark on this one as it's my first rebuild and as long as it looks reasonable on the lake I'll be happy. I'm very grateful for all your help and advice and I hope you don't stop helping me if I do deviate a little from your advice. This may read like a whinge but believe me it isn't. Regards Alan.

triumphjon

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 09:28:54 pm »

the lower two photos above are actually both planked in teak , the first being freshly planked , while the last photo ( a huntsman 28 ) was planked much longer ago , teak fades to a pale grey if not oiled often ! however its your model so you may plank her in whatever material you see fit , advise will still be freely given . enjoy your restoration

Roadrunner

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 09:44:16 pm »

Some were teak some were lime as i found out, i decked mine with lime and a maple trim to match what i was working too, don;t forget many boats were customised or re-vamped to the owners spec including the deck, many were old race boats which were converted using cheaper materials in some cases.

Variations through out the range i don;t think it matters to much, my decks still as clean and shiny as first constructed, will take many many years of wear before it greys up, but having the surface oiled helps keep it fresh.

aslo44

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 10:12:33 pm »

the lower two photos above are actually both planked in teak , the first being freshly planked , while the last photo ( a huntsman 28 ) was planked much longer ago , teak fades to a pale grey if not oiled often ! however its your model so you may plank her in whatever material you see fit , advise will still be freely given . enjoy your restoration
Cheers Jon, good to know mate. Alan

aslo44

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 10:21:35 pm »

Some were teak some were lime as i found out, i decked mine with lime and a maple trim to match what i was working too, don;t forget many boats were customised or re-vamped to the owners spec including the deck, many were old race boats which were converted using cheaper materials in some cases.

Variations through out the range i don;t think it matters to much, my decks still as clean and shiny as first constructed, will take many many years of wear before it greys up, but having the surface oiled helps keep it fresh.
Thanks roadrunner, trouble is I had already ordered the materials before you posted  so I am committed they cost too much for me to order another lot. Not to worry I'll take some photo's of progress when I make some. Keep the advice coming in I will need loads only started in the model boats about 3 months ago ( a bit long in the tooth really )Regards Alan

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 10:21:52 pm »

I decided I wanted to curve the planks, like the real thing, it was the first time I had done anything like this, and was a real bad job to do, but I was pretty happy when it was done. I used grey card for the caulking, then the thickness was consistant, and I could leave it proud, then rub down with the wood. I  used alphitic glue for the planks, and uhu for the card. Bending was real difficlut, I took two pieces of mdf, cut one with a curve in it, attached one of these to a mdf base, soaked the plank in warm water over night, then put it in the curve,, using the other half of the cut sheet (if you know what I mean!) and gently "teased" it against the plank, which then followed the cut curve. Left to dry out, then the centre third had a reasonable curve to then apply to the deck. I used small blocks which where then nailed in place to hold the plank when it was glued. It took 3 nights to lay one piece :embarrassed:, before the next could be set, took 1 month just to do the planking!, but worth the effort now its done! Didnt have the expertise to attempt the joggling though. When done, it was all rubbed down using a flat edge, so the deck followed the lovely contour of the boat. I then used a wash to give it the weathered grey finish, but then the caulking was lost, so rubbed it all down again, and now just periodically oil it. Over time, it has weathered naturally and looks quite nice! hope that helps :-))

aslo44

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 05:59:02 pm »

Hi red181, your boat looks fantastic. I don't imagine I'll be trying to bend the planks though, I struggle with health and patience problems LoL.
I'm still working on the hull and running gear, there was only one prop fitted when I got the boat and it was well forward and not enough
space between the hull and the shaft to fit the motor. I have put a longer shaft and new prop on now and fitted the motor, just need to tidy
it all up a bit now. I still have to build the cabins yet as it didn't come with any, don't know which to build the 28 or 31 (28 looks easiest).
 I bought in some 1/4 inch Mahogany planks and bass spacers but that was before I was advised to use Teak so I'll have to have a polished deck
I fancy having a unique boat, after all if they were all alike it wouldn't be the same and boring. Just hope mine looks a fraction as good as yours
I would be happy with that. Thanks for your help. Alan

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.