Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Help and advice needed for Huntsman 47"  (Read 19215 times)

triumphjon

Re: Help and advice needed for Huntsman 47"
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2011, 09:15:09 pm »

if its of interest six huntsman 31s were completed with open rear cockpits , which have a very similar appearance above the deck to the huntsman 28 ! often the racing versions didnt have planked decks but were of painted finish !

aslo44

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 10:00:23 pm »

if its of interest six huntsman 31s were completed with open rear cockpits , which have a very similar appearance above the deck to the huntsman 28 ! often the racing versions didnt have planked decks but were of painted finish !
Thanks Jon, I just think it might be a bit lighter if I go the 28 route. As for the planking LoL it cost me a small fortune so it has to be used. It will take me a while Jon but I'll get there
it's just a matter of it looking decent. If the MFA 850 motor isn't good enough I'll have to think about what you advised earlier and go for twin motors. Not to worry though it keeps me off the
 streets and keeps my mind occupied. Cheers m8 for the input. Alan

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 12:24:03 am »

I would go with jon's idea of the open rear version of the 31, that would be a unique model. I always fancied doing a huntress with the fuel cans in the rear as in "from russia with love" :}

triumphjon

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 07:37:29 am »

red its nice to hear somebody else thinking of modelling some of the smaller vessels in the fairey range , i have intentions of making both the huntress and a hunt 18 , will need an outdrive leg for the hunt though !

aslo44

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:26 am »

[/quot      Jon, at the risk of sounding like an idiot what are the differences in the 31 and 28 ? I 've been under the illusion that it was just the layout of the deck and cabins. I can only put it down to my age and condition LoL. Every time I try to decide which layout to do I think for ages then I get fedup and say oh! ---t I'll sort it tomorrow. A few years ago I would've thought and planned about one day
and then do it straight out of my head but those days are gone.Thats why I appreciate all the help I get from the people on this forum. One more question Jon what thickness of ply to use on the cabins?
Alan

triumphjon

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 09:22:50 pm »

length and beam are a major difference between the 28 and 31 , the numbers denote the overall length of the hull in feet . the hull is also a slightly different shape , most noticable in the bow area , the 28 having a sharper sheer where as the 31 has a greater flare . for my own models ive been making my cabin sides in 3 mm birch ply , although the section around the cockpit becomes thicker . what i now do is to use some strips of 3 mm on the inner faces of the cabin sides to form some " ducting " from the air intakes down to the cockpit floor , these are then hidden with an inner skin  of 1.5 mm birch plywood .
visable before the inner skin has been added , the masking tape is covering the air intake hole in the outer skin !

Roadrunner

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:11 pm »

Yes the 28 has quite a dramatic upward flare from 3/4 up the hull at the bow to the deck tip, it really is quite dramatic, was designed like that to force water down & out wards when on rough water.

I would show you mine but unfortunatly the black paint job obscures the curvature, so you could'nt see it anyway  {:-{ and i can't find the unpainted photo's which showed it very clearly, but John will be able to vouch for the shape on her as he's seen the photo's previously. 28 are also shorter and slimmer, so it becomes a whole new modification, basically with mine i took a 31 kit and modded it to take all the greatness of the 28 huntress & Swordsman

aslo44

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 09:52:37 pm »

Thank you to both  of you I now understand the difference, and put it to good use. Where would I be without you LoL. Alan

triumphjon

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:26 pm »

another variation was the fairey spear and spearfish , which was a hull moulded over the same huntsman 31 buck . but instead of hot moulded agba mahogany they used grp ! the spearfish being the open cockpit similar to the huntsman 31 open cockpit , while the spear had an enclosed wheelhouse .

aslo44

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 08:13:46 pm »

Hi, I took a few more photo's (not a great deal of progress but getting there) of my Huntsman rebuild. Decided to go without the rear cabin as in the open cockpit.
I've cut out the cabin and cockpit sides that I got from you Jon, but on this deck the openings are wider than the front windscreen so I will have to go a bit wider
than original template you sent me. It's the first time I've everdone any planking, infact it's the first time I've ever built a model of any sort. I used to fly RC planes
but they were already built for me. I started doing this hobby late in life to keep my mind active and get me out of the house at weekend. I'm enjoying it too. Alan

aslo44

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:54 pm »

Sorry about the thumbnails LoL, don't know what I did wrong. I you click on the red cross it should open Photo's.Alan

triumphjon

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2011, 08:27:14 pm »

theres no photos in either of your posts ? those are the templates as supplied to me , i made up some infill sections for the decking , but all of my models have fixed cabin sides with removable roof sections as ive found this helps to keep water out in heavy seas !

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2011, 08:44:44 pm »

The Photos are there
Clickon the red cross

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

triumphjon

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2011, 09:05:10 pm »

what red cross ?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 09:18:00 pm »

Is it another IE prob
I click on the 'No Pics Icon '
and the pics are there

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

triumphjon

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2011, 09:57:07 pm »

now you have lost me , i dont know where the pics are , i cant see any red crosses or a no pics option ?

aslo44

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2011, 10:54:32 pm »

Thanks ned, I think I know what happened I used the spell checker and clicked change all instead of ignore all and so it changed the URL adresses. I'll have
another go at uploading them Jon. Alan
Is it another IE prob
I click on the 'No Pics Icon '
and the pics are there

Ned

aslo44

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 11:12:18 pm »

:embarrassed:I'm trying again with the photo's Jon, let me know if you see them and thanks again for that tip about perminantly fixing sides and using removable tops
I can still go that route as I haven't made any of the inner deck yet. How have you fastened your tops on ? Are they hinged or screwed on? Alan.
Here goes with the photo's LoL.

triumphjon

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 07:22:06 am »

thats better we can see your work now !  my removable sections are just a tight fit in the cabin , however when i made the front window / cabin front section ive increased the timber thickness to 1/4 inch ply ,  this has allowed me to screw and glue the front to the sides . the cabin sides were made deep enough that they incorporate both the above deck section and the area that is below deck line .

aslo44

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2011, 10:15:56 pm »

Hi, just layed the planks on the deck it still needs to be sanded and a few small areas to fill in to prepare for final finish.
Problem is I have only one mahogany plank left and I need about four to do the edging. I can carry on building the
cabins and side panels while I wait for them, still got lots to do before I take it to the lake. A couple of pics to show
stage of rebuild. Alan.

aslo44

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »

Hi, if there is anyone still watching this tread can anyone advise on what materials to use for the splash screen on my cockpit?
Also instructions on how to shape and form it? Alan

Roadrunner

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »

I've been watching.... the screen can be made from a 2L clear coke bottle or similar, the plastic materials perfect  just slice it open and roll out and trace on the shape cut and glue in place, as for the shape, i will need to dig out my template but i can mail you a copy if you need it, pm me for that...

or you can just make a 'square' screen section from a ply frame and flat sheet clear plastic, a cd case or similar.

triumphjon

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2011, 10:25:01 pm »

my 31 has a custom fabricated frame from k & s brass square section that has had one edge removed , screen has been made in two halves !

aslo44

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 11:25:05 am »

I have managed to get a little bit further with my rebuild and hopefully I will get it on the water in about two weeks (a bit ambitious knowing me LoL)
anyway a few more photo's

Quite a bit to do yet but I WILL get there LoL. Alan

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 12:53:21 pm »

That is looking Great, very nice should go well just watch the weight as that is a killer of speed and an idea would be to make your comings higher with some lexan to keep the water out and not get in the way of the windows

Peter
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.