Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help and advice needed for Huntsman 47"  (Read 19210 times)

aslo44

Re: Help and advice needed for Huntsman 47"
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 01:02:27 pm »

That is looking Great, very nice should go well just watch the weight as that is a killer of speed and an idea would be to make your comings higher with some lexan to keep the water out and not get in the way of the windows

Peter
Thanks Peter, I'm not quite sure what you mean by comings. Are they the edge around the access in the decking? What is lexan ? I'm new to model boats and this is my first attempt at rebuilding one so thanks for the advice. Alan

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 04:48:36 pm »

Coamings are the raised edges to the deck openings
Lexan is a bit like perspex but better

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 06:05:27 pm »

It looks like you are about to put a strip of ply on the inside edge of the hull deck opening , If you used Lexan (available cheap on ebay and can be cut and drilled ) and made it about 20mm above the  deck so about 30 mm overall it would hold your superstructure on and stop any water comming over the deck getting inside the reason i said use lexan is that it would not show through the windows like ply would.
by the way I believe you are a mate of red181s
Peter

thanks netleyned

aslo44

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 08:17:18 pm »

Coamings are the raised edges to the deck openings
Lexan is a bit like perspex but better

Ned
Cheers ned, I did have a glimmer of idea thats what it meant (coamings) and Lexan I will have a look at , cheers Ned.
Alan

aslo44

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 08:39:01 pm »

It looks like you are about to put a strip of ply on the inside edge of the hull deck opening , If you used Lexan (available cheap on ebay and can be cut and drilled ) and made it about 20mm above the  deck so about 30 mm overall it would hold your superstructure on and stop any water comming over the deck getting inside the reason i said use lexan is that it would not show through the windows like ply would.
by the way I believe you are a mate of red181s
Peter

thanks netleyned
Hi Peter, I did put some ply coamings on but I did it before the planking and didn't allow for the thickness of the planks (who's a plank ?) the coamings are about 1/4" high so might not be high enough,
mind you I will be sailing it on a small lake in reasonable weather. I'm just doing things as I go along I have no plans and the original builder wasn't into squareing things off or making it sometrical
wich makes things a little harder. I have yet to decide how to hold the super structure on securely, as I said nothing fits the way it should LoL. Are you a member of ST Helens sailing club ? Thats not too far from you is it ? Cheers Alan.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 10:02:37 pm »

Hi Peter,. Are you a member of ST Helens sailing club ? Thats not too far from you is it ? Cheers Alan.

NO                                         Only a member of the very Good  Liverpool Club these days.

Peter

biggus ditchus

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2011, 09:00:09 am »

It looks like its coming on great chap, certainly moving along quicker than mine, have u decided on motor and electrics yet?

aslo44

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2011, 10:52:37 am »

It looks like its coming on great chap, certainly moving along quicker than mine, have u decided on motor and electrics yet?
Hi Rich, I'll be useing a torpedo 850 with a 55mm brass prop to start with, but I've kept the boat as light as I could.
As from yesterday I'm suffering from Gout in my right foot so I'll probably  pain without gain LoL. Alan

biggus ditchus

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 11:38:24 am »

I have decided to go brushless with mine, got a 900kv motor and watercooled esc ready for it.. will you be running at St Helens as I look forward to seeing it running and would be good to see a few running together.

aslo44

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2011, 01:28:36 pm »

I'm not a member at St Helens but I have been invited to use thier lake for a limited number of times so yes we could get together and I think red181 is fairly local to you
maybe he would bring his excellent model along. Alan

biggus ditchus

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2011, 04:25:03 pm »

Will get cracking on mine, yes Paul isnt far from here there is another guy there with a Huntsman 31 too.  Have you made any progress with the upper screen, it something I still havent tried.

aslo44

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2011, 07:16:50 pm »

Thats the next thing I'll be doing when this gout disappears, it came on yesterday and I'm in pain standing and walking.
 I have had trouble with rushing the paint job so have to sort that as well. I've decided to use aluminium for round the
 screen and windows, Hopefully I can cut them without joints ( each sheet is ten by four inches ) on thescroll saw. Alan

biggus ditchus

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2011, 08:47:12 pm »

I plan to have the window surrounds lazer cut, its the lexan screen uptop I worry about, may have a go at a paper template tomorrow.  Sorry to hear about the gout, I know how painful that is.

Craig Dickson

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2011, 05:51:00 pm »

Hi Alan
Firstly thank you for your encouraging comment that you made in my other thread on the Huntsman 31. I’ve just been reading your topic and threads and you seem to be doing a splendid job of your deck. What a fascinating project and made much more interesting with the images you have put up.

You asked about rudder and prop tube position. Perhaps too late to answer but having just measured my boat, rudder tube centre is 115mm from transom. Prop tube exits the hull 415mm from transom. Prop tube end is 210mm from transom. Measurement from prop tube centre to hull bottom is 23mm. Aim for minimum angle.
Cheers
Craig :-))

aslo44

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »

Thanks Craig, I've been told the measurements you have given me are for the IC motor
(which is what yours is) but my motor is electric and apparently the prop and rudder placement of electrically driven boats are different. I'll just have to try it as it is and if it needs
changing I'll go for twin motors or maybe brushless depending on the cash flow at that time LoL. Alan
Hi Alan
Firstly thank you for your encouraging comment that you made in my other thread on the Huntsman 31. I've just been reading your topic and threads and you seem to be doing a splendid job of your deck. What a fascinating project and made much more interesting with the images you have put up.

You asked about rudder and prop tube position. Perhaps too late to answer but having just measured my boat, rudder tube centre is 115mm from transom. Prop tube exits the hull 415mm from transom. Prop tube end is 210mm from transom. Measurement from prop tube centre to hull bottom is 23mm. Aim for minimum angle.

Cheers

Craig Dickson

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2011, 06:11:25 pm »

Hi Alan

Sorry yes should have mentioned my measurements being for an IC motor.

Just on your deck planking, have you decided what you will be using to finish it?
Mine was finished with multiple coats of clear solvent based lacquer with the final coats thinned down.
All coats were applied with a quality camel hair brush. Each coat was left to properly harden before being cut back with 1000 grit wet and dry paper used wet.
If like me you have used a contact adhesive, it is especially important to ensure that the grain is fully sealed to prevent water ingress that could subsequently lift the edges of the planks.
An alternative finish could be an oil type cut back with steel wool between coats for a durable waterproof finish.
Craig

aslo44

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2011, 06:19:34 pm »

Hi Craig, up to now I've put two coats of teak oil on but I will be putting another coat on before I sail. The trouble is I used mahogany instead of teak planks
 didn't know till it was too late. Alan
Hi Alan

Sorry yes should have mentioned my measurements being for an IC motor.

Just on your deck planking, have you decided what you will be using to finish it?
Mine was finished with multiple coats of clear solvent based lacquer with the final coats thinned down.
All coats were applied with a quality camel hair brush. Each coat was left to properly harden before being cut back with 1000 grit wet and dry paper used wet.
If like me you have used a contact adhesive, it is especially important to ensure that the grain is fully sealed to prevent water ingress that could subsequently lift the edges of the planks.
An alternative finish could be an oil type cut back with steel wool between coats for a durable waterproof finish.
Craig

Craig Dickson

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2011, 06:23:25 pm »

I too used Mahogany (with sycamore) for the planking.

Personally I think it looks fantastic and to me that is all that matters.

However if strictly aming for true scale replication then I understand it might be a bigger issue. I guess it depends on what you are aiming for.

Cheers
Craig

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2011, 12:37:32 am »

with reference to the windshield, mine is lexan, could easily have been made from thin plastic card, and it would have been quicker, and lighter, but I am a bit heavy handed so wanted something that would take some knocks. Its quite a complex shape, the curvature of the roof at the bottom of the screen, and the screen shape itself (remember mine is a 28, not 31)

So I made a cardboard template, fitted a false ply section on top of the superscructure for the screen to butt up against, bought some lexan and a heat gun, and made a form from an old biscuit tin and some old wood, heated the lexan up and teased it around the tin (and made a spare screen). It took a few goes, and it could be better. I bought some cheap plastic channeling from b & q for the screen frame, and using the heat gun formed that arouind the lexan, supergluing it on. I scrounged some off cuts of car window tint from a local supplier, and tinted the screen with this, and also did the cabin windows from inside, so all the gubbins inside the cabin isnt that visible.

The whole thing is held on with a home made plate either side, and 4 2mm bolts, so I can remove the screen in one piece for replacement if necessary, hope that helps :-))

Craig Dickson

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2011, 07:17:35 pm »

Hi Red181

Being someone that needs to finish my own Huntsman now that I know the internal mechanics work when on the water, I found your thread on the screen very helpful.

I like the way you have done this and set it up such that the screen can easily be removed if damaged.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheers

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2011, 08:55:26 pm »

Thanks Craig, the full build is documented on this forum, somewhere :embarrassed:

The screen is heavy, but I always seem to over engineer things!

Wait till we talk about making the air intake scoop things! My triumph! (With a lot of help I must add!)

Paul
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.