Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are people getting Grumpier.  (Read 7452 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Are people getting Grumpier.
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:50:45 pm »

As above really, we seem to have some quite bad tempered posts.

Can I remind all that Mayhem is to PROMOTE model boating. All aspects of model boating.

Some new members are being put off posting which I do not consider is the ethos of Mayhem at all.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Patrick Henry

Re: Are people getting Grumpier.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 05:53:22 pm »

I'll second that...

knoby

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 06:09:43 pm »

I have to agree too, membership here should be looked on as a privilege, not a right & members should conduct themselves in an appropriate manor

wartsilaone

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:37:57 pm »

Quite right! If only I put it like that.

Ali.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:45:16 pm »

Is that in the Manor born or an appropriate Manner?

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:05:53 pm »

It's a bit difficult to put a heartfelt answer to the first question as it implies so much.
Yes, in some cases bad temper and intolerance comes through. But look at the other side of the same coin.
This subject has been aired fairly recently....different language, but it boils down to the same thing.
Although many of us are more than willing to help out with genuine queries: such as sending PMs and even CDs to people we don't know, it can all get a bit wearing when a poster just slaps in a question that's been answered many, many times.
This forum has answers to so many questions by so many other modellers that it's not really all that surprising that some questions are answered rather tersely.
Too many questioners are just wanting a "quick fix" rather than doing a bit of homework on the forum. And I'm not just talking about "newcomers" here.
The Search Engine" is there to be used....so use it.
But the "bad temper" seems to be more prevalent in the Chit Chat section. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

John Mk2

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:10:13 pm »

A VERY small percentage of member's on here go out of their way to bait others  :(( Sometime's they bite sometime's not. But If they do bite it can get nasty ! As we all know  >:-o

Roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:55:48 pm »

Although many of us are more than willing to help out with genuine queries: such as sending PMs and even CDs to people we don't know, it can all get a bit wearing when a poster just slaps in a question that's been answered many, many times.
This forum has answers to so many questions by so many other modellers that it's not really all that surprising that some questions are answered rather tersely.
Too many questioners are just wanting a "quick fix" rather than doing a bit of homework on the forum. And I'm not just talking about "newcomers" here.
But the "bad temper" seems to be more prevalent in the Chit Chat section. BY.

I have to agree with Bryan on this one, its not really a grump as such its now the fact that many are unable to use 'self help' , just to point out that i have answered quite a few questions with little knowledge in areas ( haha see i don't know everything) just by googling the question that was asked!

Membership is a privilege not a right as one pointed out and i like to think that the regular posters do contribute a lot of valuable information, repetitive or not, but however i do think i have to point out that a thread like this will turn into a finger point session and start the drama up that has laid dormant for quite some time.

Little spats are bound to happen but its the admin's job to keep that under control, time are tight for everyone, even our own forum Owner Martin has felt the pinch with this recent redundancy, mine has been ongoing for 2 years now! tempers are frayed, and it don't take much to set them off.

As a word of advice maybe this thread should get locked or removed, its becoming a powder keg for something to kick off shortly

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:33:32 pm »

, it can all get a bit wearing when a poster just slaps in a question that's been answered many, many times.

I agree with this to a degree, however at times the search engine Does Not always produce the desired results, I have searched in the past for a thread but to no avail ( and I am pretty computer literate.), however the thread has been found by someone else.
It could be said that after nearly 6 years of the forum running all questions must have been asked, In which case nobody will ask questions as they may fear falling fowl to the " It has been asked before" Go look for it.. In Which case the Forum will become stale, often the periods between questions being asked the forum has had new members who might give a different take on the same said question, often when you want to carry on a question from a thread that is old the Forum suggests that you start a new Thread. :-)) Just My Opinion..

The long Build

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »

As a word of advice maybe this thread should get locked or removed, its becoming a powder keg for something to kick off shortly

If this is the case then it just proves the point to the original question.

boatman 101

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »

HI im a newbie an i have tried the search engine for HANNAS ARK ROYAL thread an i cant find it any help appreciated
chris

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:14:53 pm »

Could try spelling her name correctly hehehehehe :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3322.0

Or after Hannah sold it..........

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27183.0

Mark..
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 10:33:33 pm »

Grumpy who said that <*< <*< >>:-( >>:-( {-) {-) {-)
Yes there is problems finding info via search engine.
Its a big ask I know but is it possible for say the moderators to re-title/edit threads and put them in correct categories/sub categories simplifying searches.
Eureka no more grumpy ;) ;) ;) ;)
And commentray does get dated :-)) :-))

Now I'am grumpy but it'll be orright i'll get over it
 O0 O0 O0

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 06:37:38 am »

The search engine is a useful tool but as others have said you need to be specific and also spell things correctly, and sometimes if you don't know the correct terminology or spelling then it can be a veritable minefield.
My dad always says being grumpy is a privilege gained with age :D
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 09:53:39 am »

Aha that explains it, reckon most mayhemers are therefore privileged
 %) %) %) %) %) %)

omra85

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 10:11:05 am »

The search engine is a useful tool but as others have said you need to be specific and also spell things correctly, and sometimes if you don't know the correct terminology or spelling then it can be a veritable minefield.

Today, after many years of Mayhem membership, I have discovered how to get results from the search engine  %) :embarrassed:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30386.msg300464#msg300464

The instructions are plain to see, but who ever reads instructions  :-X
I made the basic error of thinking that the "search box" at the top of each page was linked to some mythical "index" somewhere, and succeeded in getting NIL points on the occasional time I tried to use it!!
The secret (which probably everyone but me knows about) is to use the "search box" on the "HOME PAGE" ONLY!

So today, I'm a bit less grumpy  O0 {-) {-)

Cheers
Danny

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:48 am »

Aha that explains it, reckon most mayhemers are therefore privileged
 %) %) %) %) %) %)

Yep and some more than others ;)

Today, after many years of Mayhem membership, I have discovered how to get results from the search engine  %) :embarrassed:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30386.msg300464#msg300464

The instructions are plain to see, but who ever reads instructions  :-X
I made the basic error of thinking that the "search box" at the top of each page was linked to some mythical "index" somewhere, and succeeded in getting NIL points on the occasional time I tried to use it!!
The secret (which probably everyone but me knows about) is to use the "search box" on the "HOME PAGE" ONLY!

So today, I'm a bit less grumpy  O0 {-) {-)

Cheers
Danny

But you still need to be able to spell the thing you are looking for and possibly the correct terminology for example It does't show many results for "The wobbly bit on the back that makes the boat turn"
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

omra85

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 10:18:59 am »

It does't show many results for "The wobbly bit on the back that makes the boat turn"

...  but you get some GREAT results for "rubber control"   {-) {-) %%

Danny

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 06:32:38 pm »

But you still need to be able to spell the thing you are looking for
Very nearly.  You have to spell it the same way that it was spelled in the thread/thread title for it to be found.

Am I getting grumpier?  Nah.  No room on the spectrum of grumpiness there.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

rmaddock

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »

Have you heard the research which tells us that when an argument breaks out on the internet, it will ALWASY, within no more than 30 posts, result in somebody being likened to Hitler or the Nazis.  >>:-(

I wish I had one of those research jobs.

I'm a newbie. I'll try to be courteous.  :-X

Roadrunner

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 08:42:56 pm »

when an argument breaks out on the internet, it will ALWAYs Corrected ya typo for ya  :-)) ), within no more than 30 posts,

That's cos everything that can be said usually happens in the first 5 posts, the further 25 are just fanning the flames and it dies cos either everyone gets bored with it , or the posts end up locked.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 10:30:00 pm »

We wouldn't want the statisticians to be wrong so here is numero 21 to keep it going. Si
 %% %% %%

The long Build

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 11:12:44 pm »

Looking at some of the more recent posts on the Forum There is only 1 answer... Yes people are getting more Grumpy !!!!!

Dekan

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 08:10:35 pm »

I not getting grumpy...I always have been :} Optimist with experience... :-))

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 09:47:30 pm »

In case it has been missed, the question was based on a premise, namely, that we are already grumpy and then the question, are we getting worse (grumpier).

Naturally there is Mayhem with all the posts, as it behoves our membership to aspire to the forum principles, rules, etc etc etc etc Model Boat Mayhem- Forum.

But are some going from Mayhem to bedlam, well friends that could be the question  O0 O0 O0 O0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.