Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing  (Read 1288 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Downsizing
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:42:45 pm »

Alas, after months of the "yes","no" sort of cogitation the time has come, as it eventually come to all of us, to call some sort of a halt.
My "anti-seminal" moment came a few weeks ago when I finally accepted that I was never going to make another GRP hulled model ship/boat. Therefore all the moulds I've got stored away in the loft are now reduntant.
So they all have to find a new home. Details will be posted soon in the Sales section of this forum. However, every mould Iv'e made for every model I've built will be for sale. Bryan Young.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Downsizing
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:27:16 pm »

I had a reply to this post via a PM from a fellow forum member. For which I thank him. But rather than reply privately I feel I should express my wish that the moulds might go to some fellow modeller who could make good use of them. If.....and I repeat "if"...a trader that I recognize comes in then I'll obviously take note. But making money out of them isn't my prime objective. I'd much rather they went to private buyers. Of course I'd have no control as to further selling, and that may well happen. But that's on their concience. BY.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:03:22 pm »

Hi Bryan,

I'm sad to hear you are hanging up your fibreglass and resin.

I have always followed your builds with interest, though you build different types of boats to my preference there has always been something to learn!

Just a thought about your disposal of moulds. If they were to go to a commercial hull builder then many modellers would benefit from your skill, as apposed to perhaps a one off or worse, tucked away in a loft.

I would imagine they would fetch more from a commercial interest and perhaps you could make a percentage donation to a charity and everyone wins.

I hope you don't find my suggestion offensive.

Regards

longshanks

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:27:05 pm »

Senor "Longshanks".....no, I don't find your remarks offensive! In fact it's rather nice that you've taken the trouble to air a view.
But just in case anyone thinks I'm giving up modelling, well let me disabuse them!
I've been making my hulls out of GRP since I first began modelling ships back in the early 1970s. And to be honest, it's the only way I know how to get a good, impervious, strong and long lasting hull. OK, It's messy and smelly and quite hard work to make a hull this way. Not so much the actual hull, but the plug and the mould.
In some ways I think (?) I've pioneered the use of double-sided tape to enable "plating" to be shown. The best pics were of the building of "General Havelock"....which will appear soon on the "Sale" site.
However, with the advancing almost blindness in my right eye, modelling an entire ship with any accuracy is now beyond me. At the moment I'm still more or less capable of re-furbishing and repairing damage....because then I've got a sort of pattern to work with.
But "close-up" work defeats me. I'm presently struggling with the ratlines on "Bayflower", but I can only do it at an hour at a time before it all becomes an impossible dream. That's why the re-build thread is taking so long. And I'm nowhere near completion yet!
Thanks again for your post. Bryan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.