Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ARTR Graupner New Castle Tug  (Read 13497 times)

aslo44

ARTR Graupner New Castle Tug
« on: May 18, 2011, 10:38:07 pm »

Hi, I bought one of these tugs a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if anyone on the forum had one? The reason I'm asking is I took it to the lake to try it out last week
and I was a bit heavy handed with the throttle, the tug just sat up and off it went on the plane (it was faster than the Azimut Virgin Atlantic Challenger I used to have) LoL.
 I am going to gear it down a bit, I think it's a 600 series motor but it's direct drive to the prop. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you cure it? I don't want to
have the fastest tug in the northwest.  %% Cheers Alan.

Roadrunner

Re: ARTR Graupner New Castle Tug
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:08 am »

Easiest and cheapest cure is not to be so heavy handed on the throttle.... if its got that much power should be great for towing... wouldn't waste time gearing motors down to be honest.

Learn control of your proportional transmitter rather then spending cash which won't really solve your issue.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:07:40 am »

Easiest and cheapest cure is not to be so heavy handed on the throttle.... if its got that much power should be great for towing... wouldn't waste time gearing motors down to be honest.

Learn control of your proportional transmitter rather then spending cash which won't really solve your issue.

I wouldnt of thought it was good for tug towing if its that delicate on the throttle?  I dont think "learning" control of the proportional transmitter is helping either, as you say Alan it might be worthwhile swapping the power train either to a geared system or installing a more torquey motor which will give you a good power range through the travel of the transmitter stick and a better scale speed...

Russ

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:38 am »

What voltage does it run on?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Roadrunner

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:52:03 am »

and I was a bit heavy handed with the throttle,

Heavy handed... nothing to do with motors outright power. yes i agree that it will always have an unscale speed, but i have learnt from many here that they like to over power there models to get out of situations should they occur, as for towing yes gearing down motors will give greater torque and low range speeds but unless you learn to not be so heavy handed on the throttle then even gearing down motors to say 2.5:1 or 6:1 will be a waste of time, 6:1 motors still shift a large tug quite fast ( i know i have both sets for my tug, change motors for diffrent events or locations)

2.5:1 scale steering or very rough water days, 6:1 full on towing on calm days or when im on a lake pond that's not governed by the sea, as no tidal conditions to worry about.

tugmad

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:04:44 am »

Hi my brother has a Newcastle and he has modified the outside a bit but not touched the inner works at all, and she tows O k but struggles a bit when towing our 16 ft towboat, but all in all a nice little boat but a bit fragile on some of the plastic fittings.

aslo44

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:54:31 am »

What voltage does it run on?

Bob
Hi Bob it runs on 12v nmhd pack at the moment I put two of them in for a bit of ballast (only one connected) but I don't think it's enough wieght, so I might change to two gel cel 6v.Alan

aslo44

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:12:57 am »

Your right tugmad, I like the little tug but as you say they are very flimsy on the plastic bits. As soon as I took mine out of the box I had to stick the fire hydrant on and glue the radar mast back together
and a few other little bits as I said in my earlier post I can be a little heavy handed (but thats not the boats fault) thanks for the photo's and the info. Alan

aslo44

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:18:16 am »

Heavy handed... nothing to do with motors outright power. yes i agree that it will always have an unscale speed, but i have learnt from many here that they like to over power there models to get out of situations should they occur, as for towing yes gearing down motors will give greater torque and low range speeds but unless you learn to not be so heavy handed on the throttle then even gearing down motors to say 2.5:1 or 6:1 will be a waste of time, 6:1 motors still shift a large tug quite fast ( i know i have both sets for my tug, change motors for diffrent events or locations)

2.5:1 scale steering or very rough water days, 6:1 full on towing on calm days or when im on a lake pond that's not governed by the sea, as no tidal conditions to worry about.
Hi road runner thanks for the advice I think I will take it on board and leave things as they are for the moment and try to get used to it. A friend of mine sugested using the trim button so I might try that also. By the way thanks for the help with the Fairy Huntsman. Alan

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 02:03:17 pm »

You could try swapping the 12v batteries for 6v jobs, this might give you better control due to it running on a lower voltage, which will reduce the engine rpm's. its either that or you will need to swap the motor for a geared one, 3:1 reduction would suit it fine id say. But at least a battery swap is an easy fix to do and easy enough to swap back if you dont like it, motor swaps can be lengthy and often cramped to do once fully built.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 02:28:10 pm »

I was thinking to run her on 6 volts free then connect the batteries in series for towing.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Roadrunner

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »

NO worries Alan good luck with the huntsman, if you get stuck give me a PM since i drew the templates that your receiving off John since they were modded for a 47",

With the tug practise your control, but should it still cause issues later then look at changing it, sometimes its always the simple (and cheap) things that work the best!

ixion

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 06:12:30 pm »

Hi my brother has a Newcastle and he has modified the outside a bit

Thats a really nice job, totally transforms the look of the tug. Was it easy to take apart to paint?

aslo44

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 10:25:17 pm »

Thanks to Bob and gregk9 it looks as if I'll be getting in touch with The Component Shop again for a couple of 6 volt batteries.
Thats a good idea bob and I would never have thought to go that way. I need a bit of extra weight in the tug so gel cel's
might just do it for me. Thanks for all your input. Alan

over_powered84

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 05:44:02 am »

Hi Alan
i wouldn't worry to much about an overpowered tug(hence my name %%), i have the graupner pollux and usually run it on 7.2v or 9.6v, geared 2:1 it runs amazing, i can throttle back on days i want to just potter about and pushing anything heavy i have full on power for those days, when not towing on full power you could say she goes on the plane... if it wasn't for the weight of my batteries lol, oh graupners recommedation to run this little tug... 4.8v... somehow i dont think so lol

Jnr

tugmad

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 07:43:11 am »

Thats a really nice job, totally transforms the look of the tug. Was it easy to take apart to paint?

My brother painted it without any dismantling at all not bad for a 64 year old.

aslo44

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 09:03:02 am »

I should be able to do a good paint job then I'm only 62 lol. Didn't he like the coulors it came in ? Was it a ARTR model like mine ? Alan

tugmad

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 10:41:48 am »

Hi Alan  yes was a standard Newcastle but brother Pete  decided to Pimp it up a bit  with a few minor modifications like changing the liferaft.putting a mizen mast in and moving the radar ,he also put the mooring posts on. he also only uses 6volts on the motor

aslo44

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 11:08:25 am »

Yes tugmad I think I'll invest in a couple of new 6 volt batteries and a brass prop (came with plastic one).
My biggest problem is like most people I suppose cash shortage,haven't worked for over ten years due to
disability problems and have to watch the pennies.Thanks for the photo it looks good on the water mine
sits a bit too high at the moment.I also need to glue some more little bits I have broken off when moving it.  :(( Thanks again Alan.

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 06:11:50 pm »

She looks rather splendid - even if in Alexandra Towing colours (runs and hides behind a Cory funnel)!

I have often considered one of these, no harm in her being a little underpowered, makes for a challenge!

Chris
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

tugmad

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »

Hi Vhris yes it is a shame about the colours, but it is about as tarty as you make a tug look,nice and pretty %% %% regards geo.

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 09:13:08 am »

What's wrong with Alexandra Towing Company's colours, then? Except for my Thames river tug, all mine are in ATC's colours, complete with company flag on most! Probably due to the fact that my first tug was PBM's bead-and-butter 'Alfred' many years ago, followed by 'Joffre', and since then have kept to those colours, 'cos I like 'em!!!

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 09:59:39 am »

We all have our own favourites, for my its Cory as I grew up in Cardiff thats what became 'tug colours' for me closely followed by CJ King's. I sailed on the former Alexandra tug Margam for a time and she really grew on me as did her looks.
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

pdryden

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 10:35:00 am »

Talkinf about the colours George, what colour did your bro paint the Accomodation part of the Superstructure?

Peter.

tugmad

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 11:45:26 am »

Hello Peter he always uses humbrol TAN  No 9 foe alexandres colour scheme which by the way my own Avenger  and Ower are painted in, it is once again a local tug firm on the thames or was until the Australians got here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.