Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARTR Graupner New Castle Tug  (Read 13509 times)

tugmad

Re: ARTR Graupner New Castle Tug
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 11:48:11 am »

What's wrong with Alexandra Towing Company's colours, then? Except for my Thames river tug, all mine are in ATC's colours, complete with company flag on most! Probably due to the fact that my first tug was PBM's bead-and-butter 'Alfred' many years ago, followed by 'Joffre', and since then have kept to those colours, 'cos I like 'em!!!
Hi tolnedra      No Offence meant.     By Tarty I mean a bright and colourfull model as I love the Alex colours myself and we have probably6 or7 models in the club in the same colours,

Geo.

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 11:55:20 am »

No offence taken. That's a nice line-up on your last photo. I'm just converting a Hobby Engine 'Southampton'/'Atlantic' to ATC colours, just the lower superstructure to do now. Changed the radio to 2.4, and put in an Action P94 for better control, plus a much larger battery, gave decent running time last Thursday of well over an hour, with plenty left in the battery. Quite pleased, as that was her first outing since conversion.

tugmad

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 12:08:49 pm »

Yes they are a really good value for money little boat I have one that I have carved about a bit and also fitted two speed controllers and a bigger battery,and  she will also tow our 16ft towboat.

offshore1987

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 03:39:48 pm »

My mate got one of these n i set it all up for him, they come to lite and need a good bit of weight in the stern then she half sits right, yes they are very nipy but like said up top, just dont give it full stick, but it is nice to have some speed if you have to get out of the way of something

Also if your going to tow something heavy dont just give it full stick lol because from what iv seen of his it will just just dig the stern in and probs sink  ok2 part from that they are good little tugs, i had to rebuild most of his because it turned up smashed from the shop ( the posts fault )

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 06:10:21 pm »

Thats some fleet!
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

Roadrunner

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »

Tug man that's a great conversion of your Southampton i have one thats in quite a sorry state (3rd hand) i have found with its standard running gear its pretty poor in sailing, im going to tear out the motors gear system and fit twin 400's on direct shaft, twin each for independent control. I'd be grateful if you could upload more photo's of your conversion especially the cut down understructure, it is quite a heavy part and the wind certainly catches it as i have found out when it nearly tipped on an outing.

I'ld like to make make mine lower such as yours, which will also decrease the weight a tad, also change the props from the plastic to some nice brass ones, what did you do in that area?

tugmad

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 10:52:59 am »

Hi Roadrunner, all I did to the superstructure was to mark around about 20mm from the top down and cut it off, I the made a couple of false hatchways on the back end to extend it a bit. I have left the original motors and gears in but made them independantly controlled with a couple of 10amp M Tronic viper  E S Cs  and fitted a bigger battery across the hull under the after deck just in front of the servo for the steering (which I changed for a Futaba one)  and placed about a half pound of lead between the rudder posts and i use a Planet 2.4 ghz radio oh and she still has her original props which are brass. :-)) Geo.

tugmad

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 10:56:44 am »

Here is a link to a bit of video of her towing.  http://youtu.be/XPMkIYz5ALY

Roadrunner

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 12:06:33 pm »

Topman  :-)) that video is amazing, so surprised what a little tug can do! I'm deffo going to convert to independent drive for now see how she gets on before committing to a full conversion

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 03:25:45 pm »

Smashing job Geo. I like the Vid

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

tugmad

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 05:27:29 pm »

Hi again Ken did you look at the other video clips  (thamestugman)videos.  geo.

and well done roadrunner you will be suprised what that little boat can do with a bit of T L C.  all the best  geo. :-)) oh and I have just remembered something else I have changed the props so the they both turn outboard  they were turning inboard when new. ok2

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 10:47:02 am »

Hi again Ken did you look at the other video clips  (thamestugman)videos.  geo.

Hi Geo,  Oh yes. I thought the 'Avenger' looked rather good, and so powerful.

Must get mine down off the shelf and finish her off for sailing. Got grid locked with the water cannon system and shelved it for a while.   %)

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

John E

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »

A little late in the day, I know - just found the forum!

This range of models is designed for 6V operation - the 12V is clearly way too much, and is likely to cause damage!  I have a (smaller) fishing boat from the same rang (actually Le Petit Charles - similar size to Catherine), and I like to run on my 6 cell (7,2V) racing packs - I had the same problem.  The change was to use a Mig 600 12V Boat motor with the 7,2V pack direct drive, and the speed is really nice for the smaller model.  I used wheel balance weights in the bottom of the battery bay to make up the weight.

I would imagine 6V with the original motor would be perfect for the Southampton (still with lots of power).   On my wish list when available again!

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.