Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: converting a yacht from vane to radio control  (Read 2938 times)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
converting a yacht from vane to radio control
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:28:27 am »

greetings all  is their any reason why you cant convert a vane yacht to radio control  thank you all   slug

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: converting a yacht from vane to radio control
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:20:22 pm »

Hello Slug,

Vane Yachts were mainly very well constructed, most were all wood.
I don't know of any reason why one could not be made into a RC yacht.
Keep the Vane gear if you have it - - must be getting rare now !!.

John.  ok2
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

pasty

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 02:29:36 pm »

greetings all  is their any reason why you cant convert a vane yacht to radio control  thank you all   slug

No reason at all. Have done it myself. Just make sure its not a collectors piece. Not all are wood, there are some nice heavy duty fibre glass ones out there as well. Always thought the older design 'A' class and 10 rater designs with their large overhangs make for lovely gaff cutter or schooner conversions.
You haven't mentioned what type it is, but if its a vane specific design, you may find it won't tack as well as a RC specific yacht. But they are designed to go in straight line very well, so you should end up with a lovely and balanced yachtl as long as you are careful where the radio kit is installed. Try and keep around the CofB. If its only for fun sailing it won't really matter.
Also generally vane boats have a skeg and smaller rudder fitted, this i changed to a bigger spade rudder and removed the skeg to aid tacking. It might be possible just to fit a larger and deeper rudder without the major job of removing the skeg.
If you have a vane, these do seem to attract a good price.
Overall, you end up with a nice stable yacht.

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 05:50:20 pm »

thank you both for the answers i will see what happens  slug

lancek

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:48:14 am »

Currently I'm going through a similar exercise when converting an inherited, partly completed, ancient, Graupner 'Dragon' kit which has a form of cross-over-string-and-rubber-band steering mechanism to a servo system. Not as easy as it initially appears as due to space restrictions the servo has to sit vertically while the rudder shaft angles in at some 30 degrees. This means that in operation the distances between the servo horn and the tiller arms are constantly varying. I have got around this by working a pair of rods from the servo horns and inserting springs between them and the tiller arms. The springs taking up the differences in length. Seems OK but we are yet to hit the water with it!

Mick Morritt

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:45:13 pm »

I converted an all wood, 1950s, 30" model Sharpie from Braine gear to radio about 18 months ago as my first ever model to sail. I removed part of the skeg and doubled the size of the rudder. The radio is in a 2mm ply box which can be removed. I used a double ended arm on a Hi Tec sail servo and have stacks of movement. It helps if you have fingers six inches long and like pencils to get the running eyes and anchors in place for the cords to the sails. It is also good practice if you want to be a vet!! The model sails really well. Give it a go.

Rogirby

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 03:44:14 pm »

Only just seen this thread but though it still worth adding to the comments by pasty.
I have been converting a 50 year old marblehead similarly. It was not fitted with vane steering but was designed to take a vane if needed. My first "on the water" tests showed that the original small skeg rudder was not effective enough - as suggested. I did not want to replace the rudder itself so I have cut a new one from clear plastic sheet and attached it to the old rudder with a strip of heavy duty velcro.  Consequently, when out of the water, it is hardly noticeable and the original design appearance is maintained.
The velcro is water resistant and the attachement is strong enough to hold the new rudder blade in place. The revised rudder is, of course slightly off the centre line by about 5mm but this seems to have little effect when sailing in a straight ine. Certainly good enough for "fun sailing".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.