Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spray problem  (Read 3417 times)

bbdave

Spray problem
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:06:44 pm »

I have started spraying my Javelin with Halfords rattle cans the problem i have is that it has come out patchy some areas matt some silk i have tried spraying slower as i thought maybe it was to thin and drying to quickly can i just overspray with laquer will this make the whole lot gloss?

Dave

Roadrunner

Re: Spray problem
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:21:32 pm »

Yes that might work, just concerned as to why you have a miss match of finished using the same can of spray , is the boat a wood hull of GRP/Abs? wood can give a different finish to GPR and ABS plastic, did you seal the wood with a sealer? did you sand it down super smooth with 1000 grit, and how many coats of paint have you given the hull?

Wood absorbs paint so assuming your boats made of it this may explain why its patchy as a finish.

Don't lacquer it until you let us know what she's made off as you may need to get sanding again!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 12:28:28 pm »

Dave....let the hull dry for say 3 days....sand lightly with 1200 W&D......follow the spray can manufacturers directions...........they are usually the best procedures......  O0 ....Derek

PS ..there is also a tutorial here on Mayhem.........on spraying & painting........well worth reading........ :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »

I am assuming your Javelin is the Deans GRP hull.

I agree with Derek, let it dry for a couple of days and then lightly rub down. Make sure it is dust and damp free and then respray.

I am assuming you have sprayed with silk or satin paint. A word of advice, it looks better sprayed matt finish.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

bbdave

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:34:36 pm »

It is a Lesro Javelin Dicky. I have sealed the hull (ply) with thinned varnish then a few coats of full strength varnish all rubbed down between coats then white undercoat sanded back the surface is fine the main undercoat covered fine then sanded but the top coat patchy i wouldn't mind if it was all matt or all silk just patchy is a pain but to lacquer it all needs rubbing down so i'll probably go that route.

Dave

knoby

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 04:31:05 pm »

Hi Dave, assuming you had allowed enough time for the undercoat to fully dry, it sounds as though you didn't rub the undercoat down enough. The best way to do it is to give the undercoat a light coat of a dark colour, you don't have to cover it out, just a light dusting is sufficient. Once it has fully dried, you can them rub it down, this way the dark colour stays in all the low spots & highlights them. You would be surprised just how much is left, it only takes a few microns in depth to mess up the top coat. Make sure you get all of the low spots out. personally I would use 800 grit wet & dry for rubbing down the undercoat, 1200 hasn't much 'cut' & will make hard work of removing the low spots.

If you decide to just lacquer it , use 1200 grit wet & dry, with plenty of water & a little washing up liquid & make sure u clean it off perfectly before lacquering it. Depending on how bad the spots are, lacquer should cover them, you can always rub the lacquer down & polish a finish on it to make it look the dogs things.

Cheers Glenn

snowwolflair

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 05:35:38 pm »

Was the can well shaken?

Matt and silk paints are gloss paints with added particle suspensions, so prolonged shaking and regular re-shaking is essential.

Personally I paint gloss add transfers and then coat with silk or Matt clear coat.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »

It is a Lesro Javelin Dicky. I have sealed the hull (ply) with thinned varnish then a few coats of full strength varnish all rubbed down between coats then white undercoat sanded back the surface is fine the main undercoat covered fine then sanded but the top coat patchy i wouldn't mind if it was all matt or all silk just patchy is a pain but to lacquer it all needs rubbing down so i'll probably go that route.

Dave
Sorry Dave, teach me to assume. My life seems to be moving pretty rapidly at the moment so I don't have much time to think before I write. :embarrassed:
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 07:35:12 pm »

Sounds to me that in some of the parts that have gone patchy that the wood has sucked in the paint so to speak.Yes I fully realise that you did seal it up,yes this can still happen.

Right your course of action is simple really

Give the hull a light coating of say black,not a full coat but a transparent coat,rub with 600 grit wet dry till ALL traces of the black has been removed.

Leave to hull in the house to dry off for at least 2 to 3 days..WHY....well the hull is wood and any moisture retained will cause you problems

Paint the hull with LAQUER 3 to 4 coats....leave to dry........3 to 4 days........rub down with 800 wet dry and soap

Leave to dry again 2 to 3 days

Apply Primer in the normal way....Allow to dry 2 to 3 days .....Apply a quick coat of black ....rub this down with 800 wet dry ....leave to dry for 2 to 3 days

Apply top coat in the usual way

If the same problem occurs then I am sorry to say this but you will have to strip the model of ALL it's paint and start again.

Stav

bbdave

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 08:59:01 pm »

Thanks for the replies i'll be putting it aside for a week or so now as i have other things on wicksteed being one and Bass season about to start %). Maybe i'll do a weathered sport boat plenty here to get ideas from.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.