Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A TOUCH OF TRAINING!  (Read 8309 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Re: A TOUCH OF TRAINING!
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 02:25:46 am »

Dear PMK,

Forget it. My last was posted just as yours came in.

I understand, no prob.. We all make mistakes sometimes - but I never did with what I said on Mayhem re myself, no prob. at all with that. Can't hide the obvious... makes the sufferer more aware you see.

Regards, Bernard

PMK

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 02:44:05 am »

Many moons ago a fellow Forum member (namely, Sweeper) tried teaching me the secret of when to keep my mouth shut. I failed to heed his advice, obviously. But whenever I hear or see cruelty to animals, or tales of bullying, or some control-freak nutter trying to tell folk what to do, is when all five of my cylinders go into overdrive.
Anyways, deepest apologies once again.
And yes - just to prove that I'm genuine, due to a load of recent health issues, some doctor from the DLA called by the other day - told me that I'm entitled to some ££. I hate scrounging and I hate State hand-outs even more. So here's the deal...
A payment of nearly £50.00 has been paid into my bank account from the g'vnmnt. If it'll help any toward the upkeep of those ponies, then it's yours. The damn money won't make my health any better so I'd sooner it was spent on something worthwhile. Give me an address. Or, better still, your PayPal account.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 02:53:56 am »

Firstly, any Moderators, please do not 'cut' or censor this Topic. There is no need at all. The response is one of the best I have ever seen... and I am NOT being sarcastic in any way to anybody at all.

Dear PMK,

I have re-read you Post again, and you are way to far to flattering of me, and paint a far to glowing picture of me than I deserve. I do not pretend to be faultless - I am not. When my Mother died - latter part 09 - I fell off the wagon a bit sorry to say (I lost one anchor you see - Shipmate actually did more for me than he might realise - even though I was a pain to him for a while!), but, knowing how to handle things this last eight years and recognise the signs myself - older and wiser I suppose you can say - things are getting back together. Whilst I have a nice relationship with an understand Lady, Horses and Ponies keep me going, as I have a natural affinity with them, and gain a peace and quiet amongst them that is invaluable - indeed, I can't do without. The more in one place the better/merrier, and, if unwell, they get my total dedication. 45 years of understanding them, and I still have only seen the tip of the iceberg!

Thankyou all the same, and, please, forget all, it never happened.

Kind Regards, Bernard

PMK

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 03:18:38 am »

Well, withoutout wishing to sound cheesy, I reckon you underestimate yourself. Given all the things that I'd said in post #21, most blokes would have shot me to bits - and probably justified in doing so. Whereas you on the other hand, you handled it like a true gent. All your replies have been courteous and polite AND you taught me something in the process. Now THAT is definitely a trait worthy of anybody's respect.

When I used to watch TV, you remind me of that Ceser geezer. I think his name is Cesar Millan (the one with an affinity with dogs - the dog whisperer). You obviously have that same affinity with horses.
And you'd probably be in your element among all them ponies on Dartmoor. They roam free - just as nature intended.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 03:37:38 am »

Dear All,

Please do not feel any further Posts inappropriate on this Topic. Any are indeed more than appropriate: it matters naught whether on horses or ponies, or if indeed anything else that has been mentioned is re-mentioned... no matter at all.

As it so happens, you might be surprised to know, such things are all very Positive. It all ended well you see... what other way should it be...

If you closely study natural equine behaviour, you actually learn a great deal about human behaviour.  Equine 'physci' is such that they can do no wrong, everything and anything they do is absolutely right... just think about this a bit. Unfortunately, we humans, work otherwise in a great many instances... absolutely none of us are exempt whether you like it or not. The equine does what it does because it reacts logically to instance and surroundings, it thinks parallel: that parallel can have various levels. We humans see threat in far different ways, mainly because as carnivores we potentially see equines as a course of food, and, at the same time, view other carnivores that have their eyes on us! - let alone those other humans who might want to dominate and control - and, don't forget, eat us as well!!! So, by God, don't think that equines have forgotten all this! They know very well (deeply ingrained) ... as most if not all herbivores... they would just like to spend their days eating foliage in peace and quiet, but the habit of looking over their shoulder for millions of years is a somewhat hard habit to get out of!!! - who can blame them after all!!!

So, without going any deeper, if you want to, join The Horse.com Costs nothing for their Web 'things', lot's of teck. stuff of course, but, if someone might want to know 'a bit', that's were to start - indeed, it is one of - if not the - Worlds leading sources of equine info.. Natural equine analysis (same/latter with equine psychoanalysis and illness), is one thing, but veterinarian analysis is an entirely different thing... and whow betide those who get this mixed up! - very dangerous ground if it get's mixed up!!

Anyway, that's enough I think! All I know will enjoy the pics. and the story of this Topic. Do not, please anyone, say anything untoward about other things... all finished with.

Regards, Bernard

PMK

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 04:00:17 am »

Top man. Let's put it to bed, then. Done and dusted.
But before I sneak off into the sunset for yet another dose of various pills and potions, I'm looking at that first photo at the top of the page through different eyes. Am actually grinning. That daft horse and his even stranger pose has actually put a smile on my face for the first time in weeks.
Don't forget, the offer of a few quid is still there - just holler and it's yours.

Later........

(And thanks).

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 04:11:12 am »

Dear PMK,

Thankyou. I am winding down after a quite tough and somewhat intense few weeks... thus why I haven't been 'about' for a while.

I am pleased things are 'straight' so to speak, and you enjoy the pics. now. You have no idea how amusing Mango made himself, and he was more than happy to be the centre of attention, and this made it even funnier! Even moreso since he knew he was safe with me around, from the 9 mares - some of whom can be a complete pain!

No obligation with anything, and I must apoligise, since I had missed that Post amongst writing and Posting. Sorry, very kiind of you, and will PM.

Regards, Bernard

over_powered84

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 05:33:50 am »

Aww Polaris your ponies are stunning and full of character bud, i grew up being a horse lover myself and having been there and had the broken heart as much i understand slightly the mentality of horses, but no where near your level, my boy was a scatty unbroken 3yr old Thoroughbred x Irish Draft Bay coloured with black socks mane and tale
I 1st laughed when i had the farrier visit for the 1st time and i gave the farrier that answer when asked about what breed he was, his reply was "if theres any Irish Draught in him it's the pints he had in the pub on the way past" {-)
i also commend you with how you dealt with PMK's 1st reply... extremely gentlemanly, but like PMK misunderstood yourself i misunderstood PMK and for that even though till now he didn't know.... i apologise PMK after reading the whole thing for i was really angry at thinking someone who may love animals might not know that some can be real characters and just fly of the bar at someone who did, again i apologise and wish you both well O0

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 08:40:16 am »

Just wanted to say that im glad every thing is resolved. What a great Horse youve got. Hes certainly a
character. Good job hes not living near to me or id be round feeding him titbits. With permission of course.
Near to me we have a Horse Sanctury. My daughter used to liike to be taken there. Going there used to upset
me greatly. How could people be so cruel?. Yet so many of the horses were able to forgive and forget. Still
coming up for a stroke. Id never leave with money in my pocket. Still give to a rescue Charity to this day.
Every little helps. Sadly with the recession many Horses need care.Thanks John. 

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 08:38:33 pm »

Quick note. Sorry for not replying to the last two Posters, been very hectic in all directions. Will reply soonest. I take brief opportunity to thank Moderators for not adjusting this Topic: PMK made more than sufficient apology - same totally accepted - and NO offence was caused... and no-one else should take any either over it. I only say this since there have been a couple of Topics on such matters... but this is not one of them. Kind Regards to All, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 08:58:40 pm »

Dear PMK,

I only came on for a brief look since I am 'pressed' - and must irritatingly at this hour go out again shortly - , but, after re reading your Posts more throughly than before, they brought me up with a jolt that cannot be ignored.

Your apology was immediately accepted of course as you know, but the re-reading of your words - I had not done thoroughly enough - made me acutely aware. All I can say is that I hope one day we might have opportunity to meet... there are not many of such/your calibre around to say what you did - and in the way that you did it.

Kind Regards, Bernard

richtea

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 10:16:56 pm »

Dear Polaris,
I take it that it was not you that tried to take a WMP on a train in Wales last week ?  :embarrassed:
Great pics, we lost our mare in April, still hurts.
Keep up the good work.
Regards
Richard  :-))

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 10:36:14 pm »

Dear Richard,

Very sorry to hear... lost many one way and another, and the hurt is always direct... and one never forgets all and any of them.

No, it wasn't me that tried to take that Pony on the train... that lovely Pony was obviously very comfortable with what it was doing, and I, as quite correctly as PMK would do, would wholeheartedly object to what was done if the animal was in ANY WAY afraid (but it was not); I have a pic. that someone else took of Lucky in a public place that is a touch similar - and that he did many many many times! Will scan this p.graph and send here when can. Nothing startling, but nice all the same... went there every Sunday for three years so the children could meet him. Lucky in his early years would do all sorts of things, and go all sorts of places, but, some he won't do now... and I won't force him either. I showed him steps (and I mean steps as in steps), and this action is the most unnatural thing for any equine, he got the drift for quite a while, and got the hang of it, but, after not doing same for quite a long while now, 'it isn't quite in favour' - will go up anything whatever, but down again is another matter! - so much time having gone by I won't make him... we all get older and wiser after all.

Regards, Bernard

CF-FZG

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »

We had a 'Polaris' on a model aircraft forum for a while many years ago - not related are you?

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 10:50:07 pm »

Dear CF,

No not me. Sorry. Not long back from being out, so am pleased to reply immediate.

Regards, Bernard

richtea

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 11:17:17 pm »

Thanks for the reply Bernard,
Its true what they say about leading a horse to water.
Look forward to viewing your pics when you put them up.
I must say that the first one gave me my first smile for a few weeks.
Regards
Richard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2011, 01:17:27 am »

Dear Richard,

Mango is an unknown quantity still! Haven't quite worked him out yet in a few ways! Indeed, I am quite sure he is thinking the same of me actually! WMP's are deep thinkers as I think you I know, and whow betide anyone who takes them for granted or think them the same as 'normal' equines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! {-) Far more dangerous! O0 %% {-) LOL!

When one amongst a herd, great fun! When feeding same in Winter great fun but watch ones back, sides, and front... all moves are open... but everyone knows' the RulesO0 :-)) LOL! Lucky has been shown manners so is well behaved (well, most of the time), but his Sister is just a lovable Hooligan! But I will not have him trying to bully his Welsh Mountain Sheep... who is totally dedicated to his company... you see, in a past life he lived for a while amongst 40 of them, and, when lost for something to do, would amuse himself by rounding them up. Now, this wouldn't have mattered very much if they had belonged to most, or been on my own ground at the time, but they happened to be elsewhere, and, furthermore, belong and be on on Tack to a 'lady' whose humour is not renown, and whose swearing can easily shrink any 'Tar' to shame.  One day she had to be fended off, and it wasn't easy! It took great bravado and a closed ear!!! - I hastily add she managed my Mother's funeral tea at her Sons' hotel, so is very highly thought of by all - and of course me.

Mango in that first pic. was more than comfortable, and for such a time, that, I started to wonder whether there was something wrong. My expression in the pic. (for what you can see of my face), might express this (after five mins. of him doing it). I had seen him lying down, and had thought nothing of it, as he was clearly very 'bored' with the whole matter of everbodies feet being done, he just considered that... well... he just considered not very much mattered really... while all the Mares were concentrating on what was going with all their gripes and groans he was going to get peace and quiet (all we males might know what this means sometimes!). LOL! So, he just kept an eye on the others having their normal slight squabbles, and knew he was safe whilst their attention was drawn to themselves! Wise stallion of course, and perfectly sensible and wise behavior! Very soon after the pic. was taken, his temp. keeper voiced what I was wondering (hence my expression in the p.graph actually), and shortly after gave him a slight nudge. He then quietly got up and had his feet done... well hind feet did fly briefly, but not like the first time!

Mango is 'borrowed', but he might actually be staying (he is so dangerously likeable). Two stallions in a herd is possible without damage to both, but, believe it or not, a gelding would make definite mincemeat out of one and damage to two. So, that rules Lucky out! To naturally tough and strong anyway from his Line... quite apart from the fact that he likes his home comforts far too much anyway (choosing at his own will to stay in more than out - at his discretion - which doesn't bother me at all because it helps keep his weight in balance), quite apart from the fact that he could knock Six Bells out of any stallions he might be in the company of... mind you, all WMP stallions (and geldings), have great respect of a bunch of mares, and Lucky (like Mango), is the first one to stand behind the nearest human when mares kick-off. Never forgotten when Lucky grabbed Tecky by the neck in devilment, and she kicked off big style... hind feet parallel with back non stop... he vanished pronto, and stood off with round eyes in astonishment - like one of those Thelwell ponys' - my friend had to take Lucky quickly back to the field, leaving me to eventually take back a very seriously cross steaming huffing and puffing mare!!! Couldn't blame her of course!

All good fun, and just one 'story'! Oh how many there are.............

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 01:38:19 am »

You know, there is not one angle of equine behaviour that isn't reflected in human behaviour... more properly it should most likely be said the other way round since equines deserve more respect :-))

There are the always totally docile :-), the gentle/understanding :kiss:, the strong but kind 8), the grumpy >:-o, the quick tempered (& grumpy) >:-o :((, the bad tempered >>:-(, and the outright dangerous! <*< <*< The same Rules of management/engagement that apply to all equine behaviour, strangely enough, apply to humans! Don't listen to me, see Monty Roberts' past films/videos... all there and very clear to see O0

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 02:20:21 am »

Oh, and I do a little bit with someone elses' 17.5 hand 1.5t gentle giant, his slightly less companion, and a recently added to latter two WMP gelding - that I am doing my best to not get too attached to! ... and... two other WMP herds of vastly greater size that are best kept away from otherwise I would quickly run out of land!!!

OK, it's all very easy to make light out of all of this, but there is a truly cold hard fact at the end of the day. Whilst all those equines I know are safe and sound, there are a great many, a very great many, who's future stands in a frightening balance of fate. A friend of mine is a 'senior vet', 'somewhere', and his words are absolutely chilling... "There are so many out there now that the sanctuaries and homes have run out... all we can is destroy them from now on. No option".

If anyone reading this might have room for a horse or pony, and can prove 'keep' - even just for one - it would be priceless. Just speak to your local vet about it, but, be careful... off-loading by those that can easily afford to keep is somewhat different from an equine that is in desperate need of a good and caring home.

I apologise for the advertisement.

richtea

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 02:53:22 pm »

Dear Bernard,
It sounds like all the local mares, human and equine are a formidable bunch.
On a brighter note while I'm away at Wickstead my sister is fetching a gelding to look at for a week.
It seems strange not having a horse around to nosey about while I'm weeding the vegetables.
The only upside is that theres more carrots for us humans to eat, always plant more than we need anyway.
Regards
Richard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 06:05:05 pm »

Dear Richard,

LOL! {-) Only a few really, and even they are not that bad at heart... I was making fun as I am sure you know.

Good luck with the Mr who is coming to look you over... no need to bother about weeding in the end... leave it to him!!! :-)) As we all know, put a WMP in a field of good grass, and a £ to a penny, after about half an hour they have their head stuffed in a hedge foraging for all sorts! It mustn't be forgotten they are seemingly close relatives of the goat!!!!!!! {-) - they don't like jumping, but can climb damn near anything!!! {-) LOL! Did you know that WMP's are about the best protectors for a herd of sheep? Foxes will not often come near with a WMP about... WMP's are dog chasers! Lucky chased a spaniel - of where he lived once - round and round a holly tree with his nose nearly touching the ground for what seemed about five mins.... dog happy to play, so we watched and left them to it until one or the other would get fed up and loose interest. HRH decided it was far too much work in the end, and considered blowing loudly through his nose at dog far easier and much more threatening! - dog ran off!

Brecon Beacons. If anyone want's to see WMP's in a wild habitat, this is about the best. Be warned though, some are human bulliers... so it's best to leave any bit's of carrot (prime target), &/or other good vegetables (WMP's like cauliflower), scattered about. This saves battles amongst numbers, and stops you being run over in the stamped!!!

I know all this is not about our RC ships (which I happen to take seriously), but I do hope this Topic might give an insight into 'something else out there' that some might not know exists. It really is as enjoyable as it sounds... so, to those who haven't experienced, please try it!!! Make sure you are with 'someone who knows' to start with, and Bob's Your Uncle, you will have your own best lawnmower/hedgecutter/strimmer and manure supply money can buy!!! :-)) O0 {-) Gardening... no prob., your WMP will take care of it!........................

Kind Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 06:10:10 pm »

Sorry, in last Post 'stamped' should be read as stampede - mind you both could be about equal I suppose.....!

richtea

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 07:14:01 pm »

Dear Bernard,
Usually leave a border about a horses head and neck length between fence and planted goodies,  :}
Many years ago my late father had a smallholding on which he kept goats, chickens, ducks,geese
dogs and any other stray animal like foxes badgers and squirrels.
Any one who found an orphaned animal knew where to bring it.
We all chipped in to help and usually all were returned to the wild.
We still get a few fledglings and the occasional squirrel turning up on our doorstep and none are turned away.
Just hope that the new horse likes his new surroundings, will take him an apple and introduce myself to him on Sunday night.
Regards

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 07:37:21 pm »

Dear Richard,

The border you mention is all well and good, but, taking the equation of WMP/Determination/more than anticipated extention, AND, treading on wire, and deliberate leaning, it don't always work!!! {-) HRH has had a brief respite from destroying my/his fences (no barbed wire). All rubbing areas are duly wrapped in old jumpers or have silage wrap stapled/roofing felt nailed, so things re are near WMP proofed - what a very silly thing to think!!! However, nemesis is looming, and an electric fence unit will be resorted to if the B does what he did last year. There is a 50m section of fence and rails held together only by self tapping wood screws, and if he thinks I am going to repeat that exercise again this year, I am not...! >>:-( <*< To those uninitiated with elec. fences, it is only very slight, and after about three times you can turn it all off as they know what the wire does - so, enormous expense/time/effort for three pings, I wonder if I can borrow... that's an idea!

Yes, we do the same. Yet another stray dog turned up a few weeks go. All done by the book with the Warden, and another success. Fledglings have come early this year haven't they. The Barn is quite alive with calling! Nice to hear.

I am certain your new Mr will like it there with you.

Kind Regards, Bernard

richtea

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 08:51:11 pm »

Dear Bernard
My late father was one of the top welders in the country, and the fences he built 30 years ago still stand, with a bit of a lean where different horses have tried there luck  :}
( his woodwork was a different matter, the leaning sheds of Sheffield, yet they never leaked, as he was over 6 ft tall all his steps were big ones for us kids, and he never used a screw were a 6 inch nail could go.
Happy days,  :}

must finish getting gear ready for Wickstead or it will be a late start tomorrow.
All the best
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.