Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My hobby store  (Read 5050 times)

Boatbuilder2011

My hobby store
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:11:05 pm »

I think my hobby store has to be the worst model shop I have ever dealt with rude and stuck up ordered something last month only arrived Friday ordered a magazine on 11/5/11 still hadn't arrived rang and asked wen was quite rude she just said no it hasn't been sent out yet I said y and she couldn't give me a answer I asked about my other item and her replie was and u got it didn't u, grrrrr customer service is appalling

mikearace

Re: My hobby store
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:02:03 pm »

THe whole situation with Model Boats is a joke.  Having been a subscriber a few years ago I dropped the subscription as I was either gettign the issues late or not at all.  It was easier to pick it up from Smiths.  But foolishly I succumbed to the temptation of a 'free gift' in February and I subscribed.  Since then it has been a joke.  I have had to ring up every couple of weeks and go though a ridiculous charade of them not having registered me as a subscriber and having to resubscribe again.  From February to date I never got a magazine or the gift (a TX case) .  I sent emails that were not answered etc.  Last week I had enough so I rang again and said cancel it even though its never started. A day later I got the latest free gift of model cutting set which I didnt want anyway.  I rang and reminded them I had cancelled two days earlier and explained the whole sorry saga.  They apologised and said they confirmed it was cancelled and understood why I was pretty ***** off.  Then this saturday I got a letter thanking me for my ringing up to order a new subscription and confirming I will get my first issue sent as July's issue!!!!  I again had to ring up and say I had cancelled as I had never had a magazine since February when I first subscribed.   You really couldnt make it up.  The whole set up is a joke.   I have reminded myself to self harm should ever I be tempted to 'subscribe' again from this bunch of incompetent charlatans.       

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:18:32 pm »

You shouldn't judge a book by its cover  {-)

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Dekan

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »

THe whole situation with Model Boats is a joke.  Having been a subscriber a few years ago I dropped the subscription as I was either gettign the issues late or not at all.  It was easier to pick it up from Smiths.  But foolishly I succumbed to the temptation of a 'free gift' in February and I subscribed.  Since then it has been a joke.  I have had to ring up every couple of weeks and go though a ridiculous charade of them not having registered me as a subscriber and having to resubscribe again.  From February to date I never got a magazine or the gift (a TX case) .  I sent emails that were not answered etc.  Last week I had enough so I rang again and said cancel it even though its never started. A day later I got the latest free gift of model cutting set which I didnt want anyway.  I rang and reminded them I had cancelled two days earlier and explained the whole sorry saga.  They apologised and said they confirmed it was cancelled and understood why I was pretty ***** off.  Then this saturday I got a letter thanking me for my ringing up to order a new subscription and confirming I will get my first issue sent as July's issue!!!!  I again had to ring up and say I had cancelled as I had never had a magazine since February when I first subscribed.   You really couldnt make it up.  The whole set up is a joke.   I have reminded myself to self harm should ever I be tempted to 'subscribe' again from this bunch of incompetent charlatans.       
  I gave up...it's just a waste of time trying to get My Hobby Store to treat customer service seriously...I figure that they just don't care...Maybe some ex-bankers have taken it over

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:57:51 pm »

Maybe they have been infiltrated by politicians  {:-{ {:-{ <:( <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:20:50 am »

Speaking for myself, I have had good service from MyHobbyStore and Model Boats magazine, and the one problem I did have was quickly sorted out. On the other hand it seems that others have not been so lucky, particularly as regards some free offers recently made to UK members.

However, I would suggest that Mayhem is not the place to air grievances about MyHobbyStore or Model Boats magazine, as it is unlikely that those problems would be rectified by so doing. It is far better to log on to the the Model Boats magazine website here http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/ and discuss your problems on that forum. While the Editor of that web site, Colin Bishop, is not able to resolve any disputes with the parent company, he can advise you who to contact.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 06:40:15 am »

Two posts deleted, and PM's sent to the posters explaining why.

Peter Fitness,
Moderator.

mikearace

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:39:07 am »

well I understand what your saying Peter but I have posted my complaints and experience on the website of model boats but they cant help as the line from the website is you need to go to Model Boats magazine customer services for any action to be taken which again is an understandable line. However when the source of the complaint is Customer Services it is a never ending circle that never gets sorted.  My comments were posted as information as to my experience for those thinking of taking out a subscription not to beleive all they read in the glossy adverts.  I see nothing wrong in letting people know this if someone cant get resolution from Customer Services.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:43:25 am »

"The road to h*ll is paved with good intentions"

Sadly Peter, the editor is usually regarded as a scapegoat by the owners, or so it seems. The same problems are regularly brought up on the Model Engineer forum (ALSO part of the MBAS empire), which covers MEW too.

I have no doubt Colin does his utmost to solve the problems sent to him, but unfortunately accountants seem to have the last say, or not.

Regards  Ian.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:02 am »

I used to work in a customer service department, and I can share an insiders perspective. But these are only my thoughts on the MyHobbyStore issue, every company is different.

If writing to customer service does not work, then go higher. It may be CS is a small team with a bad CS manager who is overworked, underpaid or both. It may not do any good if the company generally has a problem. But if the problem sits in the CS managers chair, then escalating it can help.

Check the Website for contacts. Or if it is a PLC check for reports on the internet. Companies house will have a list of directors.
Address your letters - FAO [name] CEO

Writing a letter blasting customer service may make you feel better, but it won't do much apart from get peoples backs up.
It would be more useful to express your disapointment and annoyance (politely) and explain that the company is now starting to get a bad reputaion lakeside and on forums. And that this must be damaging the companies reputation and ultimately thier business. That should get his/her attention.

Then outline briefly your recent problems in dealing with his company. And politely suggest that there may be a need to provide training in customer care.

Avoid blaming of slagging people off. It is never that effective, people just lie to you more politely.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mikearace

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:09:53 am »

Maybe but when all someone wants is a subscription its a darn sight easier to just cancel it and buy it from the shops rather than go to those extremes.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:13:07 am »

That is the other option.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 11:34:32 am »

I used to have subscriptions, exactly the same problems and that was when Argus/Lexus were the accountants.

Times don't seem to change.

Regards  Ian

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 01:26:01 pm »

But you are still buying the magazine, so what will change????

If however, sales were to drop, then perhaps they might lift their game.

As someone else pointed out, the bean counters have the final say and sales (income) is what influences them, not customer service which is expenditure, it costs money.

:(( <:( :(( <:( :(( <:(

Nordsee

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 01:32:50 pm »

I have had Subscriptions from them, all with no problems. My Subscription expires in June and will not be renewed, but only for Finacial and personal reasons. As I said, many years with them, no problems, maybe I have been lucky..... :-))

tony52

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 02:33:58 pm »

I have had Subscriptions from them, all with no problems. My Subscription expires in June and will not be renewed, but only for Finacial and personal reasons. As I said, many years with them, no problems, maybe I have been lucky..... :-))

Must say, mine is the identical situation as the post from Nordsee, never had a problem and I can only speak well of their service. My subscription is due in August, but as I have seen a 50% drop in household income somethings have to go.

The long Build

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 02:54:52 pm »

Could always go digital £9.99 P/a 

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 03:02:59 pm »

Could always go digital £9.99 P/a 

You gotta link for that??

The long Build

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 03:39:12 pm »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 04:09:34 pm »

Tiger Tiger has the right of it.

Sometimes things go wrong although only a small minority will be affected. In which case you should expect matters to be put right by customer services. If you do not get the level of service you think you are entitled to then the answer, as TT says, is to take it up the line. MHS is a small company, I think it employs around 50 people directly. Management of subscriptions is outsourced (say no more!) The MD's name is printed inside the cover of every issue of every magazine so he isn't inaccessible. The names of the in house Head of Subscriptions and the in house Subscriptions Manager are also there in print. Much better to contact one of these executives to get some action than to have a whinge on a third party website which is not monitored. MHS regards subscriptions as a very important part of its business so I doubt very much if the people at the top are going to ignore legitimate complaints about the level of service provided. Yes, MHS does get things wrong sometimes, and Sod's Law then dictates that if it can get wronger it will! But it isn't Ryanair!

Colin

Grub

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 07:08:54 pm »

I'm liking the idea of a digital subscription but when they're giving away plans with an issue would/could you download those too? Might be a way to bump up subscriptions if they're so poor at dealing with people. :D

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 10:29:35 pm »

But did it also say that you are able to fully download all of the digital copies and then don't forget the cost of printing out what you want.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 12:15:30 am »

But did it also say that you are able to fully download all of the digital copies and then don't forget the cost of printing out what you want.

If I have a hard copy I usually photocopy bits I want, then pin to a work-board, so that the original stays clean.
Actually once you get not used to printing stuff off, and using your computer screen, the study/house gets much tidier. There is no need for hard copy at all really. But we sometimes like the security (blanket) of it.

Thanks for the link, long build

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 12:15:45 am »

I have been advised by Paul Freshney, the editor of Model Boats Magazine, that if anyone with a grievance contacts him, he will direct their complaint to the relevant person. His contact details are in every issue of the magazine. This is exactly what I did when I had a problem, and it was quickly resolved after Paul passed my concern on.

However, please bear in mind that Paul has no managerial responsibility outside the preparation of the magazine, nor is he involved with the subscription department.

I repeat what I said in an earlier post, and that is that Mayhem is not the place to air complaints about Model Boats.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.