Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kyosho seawind hull !  (Read 3094 times)

triumphjon

kyosho seawind hull !
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:47:52 am »

my seawind has been temporally taken out of service following water ingress into the hull ! ive found some stress cracks in both the hull and deck areas , the hull has cracks around the fin box , while the deck has them around the hatch . as the hull will take to not melting when polyester resin is used im thinking of using the hull as a plug for a grp version ? jon

Roadrunner

Re: kyosho seawind hull !
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:54:24 am »

Is this a question or a statement of intent?

crunchie

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:59:34 am »

Producing a plug would be copying. Which is wrong, unless it's only for yourself.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:11:00 pm »

The Seawind hull is made out of ABS - this is a material that is widely used in plumbing automotive and many other industries. There are ABS "solvent cements" sold and you can repair ABS with Fiberglass mat and two part epoxy - Making a copy of the hull is not going to melt the ABS if you use the correct materials, but that is an extreme and unnecessary path to take to repair your boat's hull.

I use fiberglass on my ABS boats to reinforce their weak areas, and have never had an issue. You need to select the right materials, like using a slower curing epoxy, as they don't generate as much heat as the fast curing ones do.

Check out 30 minute cure time 2 part epoxy, practice with it first - use very light weight mat so you don't add excessive weight to the hull. Also be aware of keeping the boat balanced, not adding weight to only one side etc.

A little research and some practice. Fiberglass materials are found and most good hobby shops. We have chatted about your boat on another forum, and I was under the impression you were futher a long on your deck rebuild - not matter - you should find some good support either side of the pond.

Windchaser

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:38:51 pm »

windchasser , the rebuild has been put on hold as ive been trying to finish some other projects first , ! i have had thoughts of remaking a hull in grp which would eliminate the problems of the abs becoming brittle and cracking ? Ive tried some polyester resin on a section of the now removed deck , which didnt melt or distort when curing !

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 02:10:01 am »

Understand. Let us know how it works out when you get back to it.
Windchaser
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.