Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paint removing from epoxy ?  (Read 2369 times)

tmbc

paint removing from epoxy ?
« on: May 24, 2011, 07:30:59 pm »

hi
anyone know whats best way to quickly remove paint from an epoxy hull ?

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: paint removing from epoxy ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »

you could try using a "marine paint stripper". this is safe tom use on plastics and glass fibre. the one i use is called "Safer Stripper", produced by Langlows. available through any marine suppliers, even by mail order, so easy enough to get.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

craftysod

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:35:14 pm »

Basically, there is no quick way,without damaging the hull.
Firstly do you know what the paint is to be removed. Rub down with course then finer grades of sandpaper/wet or dry to achive best results.
Some do use solvents but can have adverse reactions or seep into hull,and show when repainting.
Many different ways to solve your question.

mark

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:19:28 pm »

If you do use the langlows stuff, be careful with it, as it does not bubble the paint, so it does not look as if its doing anything, but after aboout 20 mins, test a small areas by using a plastic scraper, so not to damage the hull. I simply cut some 1.5 or 2mm plasticard in to some small handy scraper blades and use these to gently scrape the softened paint off with.
One you have done enough, simply wash away with soapy warm water. if you have any more remaining paint, simply dry off the water and apply some more stripper.

"Fairy power spray"  [ a form of oven cleaner]works on plastics too but I have not personally used on epoxy.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:39:06 am »

If you do use the langlows stuff, be careful with it, as it does not bubble the paint, so it does not look as if its doing anything, but after aboout 20 mins, test a small areas by using a plastic scraper, so not to damage the hull. I simply cut some 1.5 or 2mm plasticard in to some small handy scraper blades and use these to gently scrape the softened paint off with.
One you have done enough, simply wash away with soapy warm water. if you have any more remaining paint, simply dry off the water and apply some more stripper.

"Fairy power spray"  [ a form of oven cleaner]works on plastics too but I have not personally used on epoxy.

it works well spray of leave an hour or so wash off and scrape stuburn bits.

peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.