Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi-Tec take over  (Read 3796 times)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Hi-Tec take over
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:51:06 pm »

General Info;;;;;;;Was on to Howes Models this morning ( I needed a set of 40MHz Chrystal's) Howes told me that Hi-Tec had been taken over by another company and delivery's might be delayed.
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

triumphjon

Re: Hi-Tec take over
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:40:46 pm »

i think what you will find is that its not the company thats been taken over but , the distribution of hitec equipment in the uk that has changed . its no longer imported by amerang but is now imported through j perkins distribution instead  !

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »

now i'll know where to get my trainers :D

Roadrunner

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:15:35 pm »

lol Don't bother they don't last 5 mins... these are mine only 4 months old and already got a hole in the side, and the sole is coming off, last time i buy a cheap pair of trainers!

CF-FZG

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:51:45 pm »

Dunno what you've been doing with them, they were the best pair of trainers I ever bought :-))  I didn't realise they were back in the shops as for quite a few years you couldn't buy them retail as they were only supplied to the armed forces.

Mark

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:54:10 pm »

I stand corrected,  It is the Distribution that has changed thanks for that Triumphjion   :embarrassed:
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Roadrunner

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:39:20 pm »

they were only supplied to the armed forces.

Hence cheap like the governments going to spend money on decent trainers for service men and women, i really think the moneys better off being spent on body armour for front line service personnel, I'm sure the service men and women can afford a pair of trainers on there own, like the rest of us commoners!

Damage though s from 4 months of knocking about the workshop, lake days ( when not in waders) , taking the kids to school, picking them up, walking the dog in all weather. My last pair were rebook lasted over a year but could have gone on longer but the white leather started to crack around the common bend points ( toes etc) 

CF-FZG

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:40:06 pm »

Hence cheap like the governments going to spend money on decent trainers for service men and women, i really think the moneys better off being spent on body armour for front line service personnel, I'm sure the service men and women can afford a pair of trainers on there own, like the rest of us commoners!

Ahhh, I see another who has no idea of how things in the services work, (apart from what's written in the Daily Hate Mail).

Silver Shadows were provided, (and sometimes paid for by servicemen themselves), as they were some of the best cross trainers available.  Some of the most important gear provided to our servicemen is footwear, as a soldier that can't march somewhere because his feet hurt is a waste of a perfectly servicable uniform.

Roadrunner

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:52:21 pm »

Ahhh, I see another who has no idea of how things in the services work, (apart from what's written in the Daily Hate Mail).
Some of the most important gear provided to our servicemen is footwear, as a soldier that can't march somewhere because his feet hurt is a waste of a perfectly servicable uniform.

1. I know how it works, i have two brothers who serve.. don't mean i have to agree with the way it works and I've yet to meet a poor service man/woman so.. ''(and sometimes paid for by servicemen themselves)'' is a good thing  :-))

2. I've never seen a solider on foot patrol wearing trainers, normally its steel toe capped boots. The trainers are given out as a training aid for running etc, not for combat on front line,

Which is more important, protecting our boys with body armour which our country so ''epicly failed'' during the first years in Iraq ( how many men died due to lack of armor?? I can name at least one and that's more then enough and he lived in the same town i do and was buried just over 2 years ago!) or having some nice trainers to''knock around'' base for free in?

No need to answer its a rhetorical question just something to think about before accusing 'commoners of believing what they read in papers' ( which i don't read anyway, books have more value then the daily 'rubbish' of Paris Hilton getting a new tattoo or Brittany kissing a dog again!

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 04:03:41 am »

Way off thread, but, It's amazing that the Oz troops also had problems getting body Armour, paid for their own and the issue boots were rubbish also bought their own.
Defence Dept in face of sustained criticism maintained they were best available when it transpired they were not.
A least they now have good boots and good armour.
Nothing much changes the penny pinchers still cost lives.

Roadrunner

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 09:28:49 am »

Shame that it occurs your way too, service personnel should not have to pay out for their boot's or armour at all, its part of their protection system, where as trainers to mess about in are not, i seam to remember that during training they were encourager in a word to wear there boots for all activity's, it was to 'toughen up'.

as a soldier that can't march somewhere because his feet hurt is a waste of a perfectly servicable uniform.
And the reason they can't march is they have had no foot conditioning by wearing boots!

I went from my teens always in trainers, when i started working it was compulsory to wear steel capped boots, it took me the best part of 6 months before i was used to them, sore feet etc but after conditioning to them it became the norm, i used to walk 15-20 miles daily working in the way i was with these boots on and did that for 10 years!, although trainers are becoming a normal habit since i'm not working & at risk of dropping 1 ton press moulds on my toes, but it won't stop me putting a pair of boots on when i think i need to.

It just rattles my cage to read, hear or see the people who protect our lives with there own are not getting the right equipment that can save there lives, i'm sure government's think that once they sign that bit of paper that they serve there country the value of there lives if only work the price of a pair of trainers and a uniform, where as ... you loose your life in a work incident or get hit by a car and are badly injured people and company's end up paying anywhere between a few grand to a few million, most service men who are wounded usually get 'honourably discharged' and a disability benefit and there pension left intact, I've yet to see a payout to those injured or to family's whose child has lost there lives serving. 

And reading comments such as the one that rattled me on this subject really really annoys me to say the least, its a very real threat in our family that we could loose one or both my brothers, ( although more so for one being Army, who is front line duty, other being Navy and his ships in port, as i can see it out of my window) so yes i know exactly how it works and why i think its wrong!
Spending the Budget on 'trainers' as opposed to body armour... think the spending is all ass about face and needs to get sorted, i have no doubt that for every 50 pairs of trainers, 1 body armour unit can be purchased if at least 2 and that would be at least one more life saved for the cos of a pair of trainers!

Dunno about you but im sure service men and women would put up with 'sore feet' knowing that if they had soft feet it would mean coming home in a body bag.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 10:48:41 am »

Wheres the naval base in South West Cornwall ?  {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Roadrunner

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 11:42:54 am »

HM Naval Base, Devonport, Plymouth, then you have HMS-Raleigh which is where all the trainees start there navel life, which is up the road from me

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 11:45:13 am »

Sorry didn't realise Devonport was in Cornwall.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Roadrunner

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 11:49:35 am »

lol its not... but still being less then 200 yards between Cornwall and Devon noting really to argue about... however... HMS Raleigh is in Cornwall by a good solid mile  :-))

CF-FZG

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 07:18:28 pm »

Shame that it occurs your way too, service personnel should not have to pay out for their boot's or armour at all, its part of their protection system, where as trainers to mess about in are not, i seam to remember that during training they were encourager in a word to wear there boots for all activity's, it was to 'toughen up'.
And the reason they can't march is they have had no foot conditioning by wearing boots!

There's a lot of fitness based activities that you can't use boots for - that's why 'cross trainers' were issued, and it's standard practice by all the services to wear your boots at all other times to 'break them in'.

It just rattles my cage ..........  I've yet to see a payout to those injured or to family's whose child has lost there lives serving.

Not looked very hard have you ;D

And reading comments such as the one that rattled me on this subject really really annoys me to say the least, its a very real threat in our family that we could loose one or both my brothers, ( although more so for one being Army, who is front line duty, other being Navy and his ships in port, as i can see it out of my window) so yes i know exactly how it works and why i think its wrong!
Spending the Budget on 'trainers' as opposed to body armour... think the spending is all "bottom" about face and needs to get sorted, i have no doubt that for every 50 pairs of trainers, 1 body armour unit can be purchased if at least 2 and that would be at least one more life saved for the cos of a pair of trainers!

Like most ex and current serving personnel, I don't dwell on that aspect - you'd never get anything done if you did - so you mourn them when able and remember them.  I also appreciate it's different for family members.

You don't understand how the system works, you're seeing second hand some of the end results.

Roadrunner

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:41:12 pm »

What ever, feel free to think what you like, i do! i've given up trying to argue the side, Lets just hope if you have kids who are serving they don't come back in a body bag due to lack or armour cos the government feel's that a soldiers life is only worth the paper they signed there name on, but i think it will take that for you to see my side.. till then you can live in your 'fantasy world'

Comment Moderated

chingdevil

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 10:02:10 pm »

I know the loss of our brave soldiers is an emotive subject, and  I do not wish to appear un-sympathetic but can we keep this thread on track

Thanks

Brian

Global

PMK

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 04:41:06 am »

lol wanna bet

There was a time when all new Army recruits had to sit (and pass) a basic English grammatical exam. Given that CF-FZG obviously passed the aforementioned exam, and that he does at least know how to punctuate, then I know who I'd be betting my money on.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 07:30:20 am »

and this is why they deserve the best

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13573611

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.