Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: italeri elco 80 torpedo boat pt_596  (Read 4119 times)

Boatbuilder2011

italeri elco 80 torpedo boat pt_596
« on: May 26, 2011, 04:11:01 pm »

hello fellow boaters
i have picked this kit up very cheap from a local hobby store, i have been reading other threads about this kit and just genrally been having a noisy and came across it so i thought why not some thing fairly small and some thing to keep me busy after my injuries at work, cant do any thing to big at moment due to injuries so my other kits i have brought have got to wait :(
so heres a picture of the giant box lol

its a really nice kit to be fair for what it is i picked mine up for just under £50.00 no complaints so i decided to go straight in and fit the prop shaft and rudder i have used a graupner 4mm 170mm prop shaft with a 30mm plastic prop figure that will be ideal i no its not to scale because in real life they ran on 3 engines but hay, for the rudder i used one i had laying round the house i was going to trim it down a bit but after looking at it fitted i think i will leave it for the time being and see how it tests go later on

so i was looking for a motor and and after speaking to my local hobby store owner decided i would try a brushless motor for the first time, its a kedathumun series kv1450 outrunner motor i believe there ran mainly in planes it came with a like cross motor mount i was umming and r ing about how i was going to hold the original motor mount and bolt it down at the correct angle i would need so luckily a friend came round and was able to help me in to my wheel chair and down to my shed where i made a custom plate to hold the original mount on i also found some bolts and cut them down a bit

i chose to go for the more used coupling effect with the universal joint 3mm prop end 3.2 motor end

so far this is all i have done im still waiting on quite a few parts some lipos a brushless speedo the pt boat crew and a micro servo and then i can start putting some live it to this beast hope you have liked what i have done so far there will be more updates as soon as things arrive and i get things built thanks for looking

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: italeri elco 80 torpedo boat pt_596
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:32:49 pm »

Dont forget to add water cooling to the motor mount and the brushless controller unit, or it could melt through the hull.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

Boatbuilder2011

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:00:32 pm »

The mount I have made is going to be bolted down on wood the speed controller and reciver will be fitted to some balsa wood I had already thought of the heat :)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:37:54 pm »

you still need to add water cooling or the motor and controller will overheat if not cooled sufficiently, simply mounting on wood will not cool them, it will merely hold the heat.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Boatbuilder2011

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 06:04:58 pm »

Would mounting a small fan above the motor work

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:28:01 pm »

I doubt if a cooling fan would be sufficient, not unless it moved a fair quantity of air, but in doing so, its going to dramatically drain the battery power and reduce sailing time by a major factor.
using the water the boat is passing through is far more efficient and does not drain battery power.
Plus it would then mean having to have open spaces in the upper boat to allow passage of the airflow, not recommended with risk of sinking if anything happened on a tight turn.
my Pt 596 can swamp itself on 3 x graupner 400's on a very hard turn, so know only too well what can happen, so a brushless setup could be very quick, even on just a single motor, providing you keep the weight to a ultimate minimum, which negates the use of wood under the motor, you're putting a lot of unwanted weight in, which then means bigger motor, bigger esc, bigger battery.

Dont forget about the esc too, you need to fit a cooling coil to its underside, not unless you have a proper "brushless boat esc" which has the water cooling jacket already attached, so all you need to do is plumb it in.

you can buy a water cooled motor mount if the motor is an "outrunner" version, or if its an "inrunner", you simply slide a cooling jacket over the outer shell, both items are not a lot of money either.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

Boatbuilder2011

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:35:55 am »

I'm going to test it and see to be honest because I have spoken to a fair few people since you said about the heat, one of them being a friend who races rc cars with brushless where I understand where you are coming from he runs much bigger motors and 3 cell lipos and no fans or heat sink and his plastic chassis has not melted and to be far the thickness of the hull and his chassis are the same I'm only going to be running 2 sell 1300 lipo I have been told by some one who flys plaines the motor I am going to be fitting is torquey not speed so we will see if it don't work I will just change it As i said it's my first attempt at brushless you have try something new now and then, and then learn by your mistakes if it all goes "boobs" up lol :)

Boatbuilder2011

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:39:40 pm »

hi a little update for you guys
i have got all the parts now picked up a steal on ebay a futaba 40mhz radio and reciver with crystall 665 for £10   :}

i got a speed controler in the end from a lad down the street who aslso sold me 3 lipos with it very cheap as well the ones i have purchesed i have lined up for another boat now

the pt boat crew have also arrived today  :}

the servo and motor are all in runnig well more to follow soon

Boatbuilder2011

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 04:52:13 pm »

Hello there fellow boaters
So I water tested the pt boat yesterday in the kids paddling pool in the back garden didn't go Down well with missis lol, it sits really well in water turns well drives well and no leaks so it was all go, I decided to screw Down the top deck and fit the splash rails and fully sucure all the radio gear into place and go off to the local pond or well club pond well it went very well considering I had only the top deck on and nothing else it was sat no where near the water line and radio gear or motor didn't get wet atall I was quite shocked to be honest for a 1/35th scale model it ran very well and splash rails done there job perfectly the motor has lot more poke in it than I was expecting I had set the cut off on the spedo for a 2 cell 1300mph lipo and got 15mins runtime very happy with that, I am going to start building some of the massive amounts of weapons this vessel has, I will add pictures later, thinking of getting it ready to take to the Weymouth international model festival in July it will be my first show and this vessel is only one I think will be complete by then :(

darrencuk

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:40:37 pm »

Looks good I still have my one I brought off this kit to build liking the idea of brushless

Boatbuilder2011

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 04:06:01 pm »

after a long time off building messing around and getting things sorted thought i would update with more pictures  :-)
so here we go heres a picture off all the radio gear fitted

i am very happy with how this boat is it is way lighter than i could have ever thought lake tests are going well others than yesterday losing the the prop  :embarrassed: but u learn from your mistakes as they say so i will make sure lock tight or super glue or even lock nut. i no pt boats are supposed to be more than a single prop but for my first build I'm happy i no there people out there who like things to perfect scale but to be fair who's going to tell the difference when its on the water it hands well at full speed even turning at flat out i don't have a problem with any water getting in quite happy and to be honest will run brushless again after a 15 min run it never even got warm heres loads pictures hope u enjoy and would love to here comments

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.