Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CHANT Tanker, Pedestal Convoy.  (Read 11178 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
CHANT Tanker, Pedestal Convoy.
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:53:10 pm »

Whats wrong with three builds at once?
Along with my U37 Type VII U-Boat and the the SS Ohio, I have resumed work on my CHANT coastal tanker, this is more of a restoration and rebuild as I purchased this model from a fellow member before he moved to Romania! He had purchased it from another member who could not track it  back to the original owner. It needed a fair amount of structural work as it was less than weatherproof in certain areas. The foredeck had in fact seperated from the model before I purchased it!
The build includes a number of special functions, I have fitted the model with a ballast tank on the port side, as well as a couple of pyrotechnic effects up front to simulate a 'hit'. The model also has a JJC cold water smoke unit fitted (still working!!) and a Jotika ships hooter. The lights probably work but I have not hooked them up yet.

The photos show the model on Wednesday with all fittings in place, mostly balanced on the model for the sake of  looking good. If there had been an earth tremor everything would have ended up on the floor!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: CHANT Tanker, Pedestal Convoy.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:09:02 pm »

The internals of the model are all easily removable. Up forward first.

The ballast tank consists of an acrylic tube about 20" long, end caps turned up by my bestest mate John, cheers John :-))
Down the centre line is the JJC smoke unit and driver circuit, this has been mounted on timber blocks to raise it clear of the bottom of the boat. If for some reason the plumbing for the ballast tank lets go, I hope this will give me some chance of keeping the electronics dry.

The view from the port side of the model shows the plumbing for the smoke unit, this is fed aft to the funnel. I could not fit this nearer to the aft part of the model hence the plumbing.In the second photo you can just make out one of the two in line caravan pumps that feed the ballast tank. these are one way pumps (water in one end and out the other, regardless which way the pump is wired up) these pumps are fitted in line, one in one out, one pumping through the other to or from the ballast tank.

The radio equipment is aft, mounted off to one side. This allows room for the neoprene feed pipe for the ships funnel to coil out of the way. The tray is acrylic sheet and is held in with one screw. The servo operated controls visible are for the two pyro effects and the ships hooter, I have yet to fit the  switcher for the pumps.
Apologies to the fellow CHANT builder who enquired about a suitable motor, I suggested the MFA Torpedo 800 motor as this was what my model was fitted with. On inspection it actually has a car blower motor fitted! A senior moment I think. I stand by my suggestion though.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:15:00 pm »

Externally, I added detail to the model in the form of a timber rubbing strake at deck level and a series of simulated weld lines around the hull and superstructure. These follow closely the original vessels. They were first pencilled on to the model, then with a steady hand Superglue Gel was applied as the welds along the length of the hull and superstructure.

This is my second model with welds, the first being a Landing Craft currently residing somewhere in Wales.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:42:58 pm »

I would just like to note, before anyone notices a glaring error. I know the model represents a generic post-war CHANT and that it would be very unlikely to be torpedoed or bombed post WWII, however, we need all the vessels we can get for our convoy display, consider this model STUFT*
Following the pretty photo session came DEMOLITION.

I needed to find somewhere for a speaker and decided on a spot below the aft fuel tank, I could open up two of the hatch covers to let the sound out while maintaining a fairly high level of watertight integrity. I also knew that with a little work from a chisel the covers would just pop off the deck. Already popped the forward one off to hide the pyro effects under. The decks were 1/8" and 1/4" thick and strained my razor saw and hobby drill to the limit.

The other job for the day was securing the new davits and ships lifeboats to the model. These days I prefer to bolt down as much as I can. The days of constantly gluing bits back to the model following an accident in transit are, hopefully behind me.
The lifeboat covers are off in this view and are about to undergo a little surgery, following advice from fellow forum members.

STUFT=Ship Taken Up From Trade........stuffed=being Secretary ;D

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:34:06 pm »

Weathering Pictures to follow shortly, watch this space.... :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 12:03:25 pm »

Two weeks of weathering (and making the innards work of course) resulted in its first time in the water for about 2 years..

The weathering is a mix of techniques and I will go into it later, however it includes airbrushing, drybrushing, washes, scouring pads, oil pastels and rubber masking solutions (kinky O0)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:11:36 pm »

I was testing the model, the ballast tank, the fog horn and the pyros on Sunday. The fog horn was fine, however a fellow member pointed out that the model did NOT have a miniature fog horn fitted, so where was the sound coming from? Inside the fuel tank, was my answer :-).
The ballast tank worked fine three times, however the first time I had forgotten to fit the vent pipe to discharge water over the side once the tank filled. The result being that it vented into the boat instead! and I intend building submarines!!!
Pyros worked fine and should get an outing at this weekends last Weymouth Show (see you Sunday).
The lifeboat davits still need rigging, a wire fell out of the ballast tank circuit and I knocked about three fittings off the model. Other than that, fine...

pugwash

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 12:47:37 pm »

Congratulations on an excellent job of weathering your CHANT. it does look very realistic.

Geoff

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 05:55:43 pm »

Cheers Geoff, thanks for the complement.
There is nothing I like more than painting a rusty, scruffy boat and there is nothing I fear more than a pristine gloss finish. I have nightmares about Lifeboats!! Much respect to the builders and painters of these vessels, I would need at least a couple of streaks of rust to keep me sane, but no, pristine %%

bat44

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 06:19:57 pm »

can you paint my tug for me :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:39:34 am »

To be discussed........you paint it, I'll ruin it, sound fair?  Weather it, sorry!

doug james

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:03:19 pm »

I love it one of the best looking builds I've seen in a long time . An excellent job of weathering and as said before it does look very realistic. :-))

bat44

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 10:28:50 pm »

OK if I'll paint it you can weather it for me :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Subsonuc Mike

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 10:54:39 pm »

Very nice  :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 10:46:06 am »

OK if I'll paint it you can weather it for me :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

You paint, I'll weather, and we will photograph the process for the nice people of 'Mayhem'!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 11:15:30 am »

( I see the "adverts" on the image pages have suddenly disappeared after rather strongly worded email I sent them!)    <*<

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 11:47:51 am »

Well done on the ads issue :-))  This is a great job of weathering, excellent photographs too.
..well can you land on this?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 12:15:41 pm »

Cheers guys, nice to see a HEAVILY modified CHANT still jobbing about, not sure about the weathering though, bit too subtle for me!!

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 01:17:55 pm »

I'm going to join in the chorus and say...beautiful weathering. You must gives a tutorial..............in your spare time of course.   %)

John

Spook

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 01:53:56 pm »

Hear Hear! I never add weathering because I don't know how to do it.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 04:58:47 pm »

Okay, i will see what i can do. the CHANT is mostly complete and I did not photograph the weathering to a great extent. However, the SS Ohio and Bat44s hat, sorry Springer would make great subjects, as they are both at an earlier stage of the build.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 04:36:59 pm »

It also went bang on its maiden voyage, and the ballast tank filled up, however, i failed to capture any of this on camera. Now, thanks to the wonder of modern technology and my mate John and his camera, I present you....

Now THATS how to weather a model!!

Dave13

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 04:39:42 pm »

Wow that is a big bang lol :-)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 06:25:14 pm »

Well, its finished. Davits are rigged, crew are painted and fitted, nav lights are hooked up and awaiting a warm evening for a sail, weathering is finished (probably), its a nice feeling when a project is complete. Even more so when it is for me and not someone else for a change :} So some images to follow of yesterdays sail.

Well thats it for the CHANT Averity, time to move on to the next build, U-Boat or SS Ohio, got to do both anyway... U-Boat first :-))

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:34 pm »

ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2

Well he thought it had ended , but here`s two more photo`s (which he hasn`t seen) of the old  " rust bucket"
     undergoing pyro trials on the lake or is it a lack of in line fuses.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.