Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Darnell or Robbe u boat?  (Read 3447 times)

g4yvm

Darnell or Robbe u boat?
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:24:12 pm »

I've little experience of ether but seen both second hand.
Anything to choose between them ?
Davis

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Darnell or Robbe u boat?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:36:49 pm »

The Darnell has a GRP hull, which is considerably tougher than the Robbe ABS construction. The Robbe is a little easier to transport, as it splits radially into two halves, an important consideration if you drive a small car.

The Darnell boat traditionally uses boxes with bolted acrylic lids and a rubber gasket for waterproofing the electronics. Some were set up as static divers, some set-up as dynamic diver. The Robbe uses a cylindrical hull to contain all the equipment, with o-ring seal about a third in from the stern. This is a much better system IMO. As standard they are dynamic divers, but can be easily converted to static dive using an Engel piston tank. The Darnell can be retrofitted with a cylinder if you prefer.

Both boats have inaccuracies and less detail than the OTW and Engel Type VII kits, but then they are both considerably cheaper than either of those two models, and they are smaller too.

silent running556

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:06:07 pm »

Plus all the extra bits needed to finish it bumping up the prce of completion. I'm a beginner too mate and i've got a Robbe U-47 that i'm trying to get finished.

boaterbill

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:30:24 am »

Can you please tell me the length and beam of the Darnell Type 7 U-boat? Do they make other type U-boats than the 7?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:24:17 am »

Darnell Models are no longer in existence, the moulds are now all owned by Andy Griggs at Models By Design.

See here for complete information on all Andy's boats... http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk/

Andy does the Type V11, Type XX1 and Type XX111 U boats, X craft, Biber, P class, T class, and S class boats, all are good mouldings.

Rich

(one good thing about the Robbe Type V11 is that all the flood holes are cut out for you...you'll have to cut the holes out yourself on  the MBD boats.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.