Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scratch built tug a bit different  (Read 2703 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
scratch built tug a bit different
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:08:29 am »

As some of you know i like experimenting with different materials and unusuall hulls ,
so my latest creation is no different.
Firstly its a tug (inshore /dock type) that's what i like, and as i happened to have an oversized springer hull in the corner collecting dust i thought that will do to start with.
Then the problems started as i wanted to fit a 90mm prop and kort in which meant the motor would be 2'" lower than the bottom of the hull (oh the motor is one of those 12-24v scooter type) . So to get round that i cut a hole in the bottom of the hull mounted the motor and running gear and then made a bulbus bottom to cover the whole area up, this was glassed up for strength.
As springers are notorious for diving i decided to fit a styreen bow which also gives more buyancy , the kort area was beef'd up as well and the whole hull was glassed over and reinforced with matting and a gell coat was applied to give the final colour (oxide red).
My plan was/is to run the system off 24v but with a couple of dead elecrtonize FR30's i decided to give action a call and Dave put me onto his P98 ( will be getting it at C.A.D.M.A so dont forget it Dave), do we mayhemers still get a discount ? .
A few deck fittings have been applied , bollards mooring posts etc , and an elevating wheelhouse  :o .
Yes and it works , basicly its a geared motor under the deck with a 10mm threaded bar up through the wheelhouse , when power is applied one way the motor turns the threaded bar and the wheelhouse rises until it reaches the top section where i have removed the threads on the lathe and when it's lowered and reaches the bottom where i have fitted a coil spring where i have removed some more threads , the coil spring is to keep the nut against the threads so it can engage to lift when the polarity is changed over.
So far i have only had it in the water to check for leaks and stability , and with 2 12v 7ah bats and a 6v4.5afir the wheelhouse it's sitting nice and dry, in fact the bulbus bottom makes it very stable.
No pic's as yet on the net but i will do over the next few days.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
Re: scratch built tug a bit different
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 05:19:23 pm »

Ok here are the pic's enjoy

daz

ACTion

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:48:31 pm »

i decided to give action a call and Dave put me onto his P98 ( will be getting it at C.A.D.M.A so dont forget it Dave), do we mayhemers still get a discount ? .
Not as a rule, no. That said, it has  been known - depends who it is and what mood I'm in at the time. Cash helps, too  %)
DM

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:00:14 pm »

As some of you know i like experimenting with different materials and unusuall hulls ,

Aah , This could explain this I saw today on the Bridgewater Canal.. :} :}

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:08:56 pm »

Ah, that'll be the long wheelbase waterline Land Rover, I take it?  {-)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Dave13

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:15:43 pm »

Now I've herd of roll on roll off but thats taking the Micky LOL {-) {-)
Or did the oner have trouble stopping at the quay side!!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:28:40 am »

{-) {-) {-)
Nowt to do with me , well not this time  {-) {-)
that is one use the manufactures never thought of .
DM £ notes allways work for me especially when theres a cup of coffe with it  :-))
daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.