Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Daring finally gets some teeth.  (Read 2371 times)

pugwash

HMS Daring finally gets some teeth.
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:15:13 pm »

Nearly two years after her commissioning ceremony HMS Daring last week finally successfully fired her Sea Viper missiles
in the South Uist missile range.  And about time to!!
All she needs now is a suite of Harpoon Missiles and she will be fully armed - but she may never get them.

Geoff

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/east-hampshire/joy_as_hms_daring_fires_air_defence_missile_successfully_for_the_first_time_says_mod_1_2689179

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Daring finally gets some teeth.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:35:22 pm »

Lewis Page in The Register - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/20/daring_armed/ - is not very complimentary about the whole process....

snowwolflair

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:54:37 pm »

It is touted as being superior to any other maritime air-defence system in the world, with the makers claiming that it can shoot down a cricket ball travelling at Mach 3 up to 75 miles away.

from the article.

"So not good enough to use in the Caribbean then"  :}

allnightin

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:35:22 pm »

I wonder how many years it took to get Sea Dart working properly or Sea Cat come to that?

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:41:39 pm »

About time we stopped paying BAE systems through the nose for equipment , tell them its either on time or cancelled and they pay back every penny we spent. If it doesn't work same deal. We should just have built the hull and bought the Aegis radar system and Standard Missile 2 which as has been said works even in the ABM and anti-satellite roles. For close in protection why not just put Sea Wolf on her ( probably be able to get it to work just as well with the Aegis radar as its own one ).

Read recently that the UK's SA-80 rifle costs £850 each and still isn't as reliable as the M-16A2 which costs £350 , all these years of using tax payers money to "protect jobs" in the UK , well that doesn't mean anything especially when Gordon Brown forced the MOD to buy 50 cal heavy machine gun rounds from the Czech republic that didn't work !!!! that cost lives but probably only saved a penny a round....
Davie Tait,
Scotland

deadbeat

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 03:59:00 pm »

To say the Darings have teeth is nonsense, all they can hope to achieve is self defence, apart from the gun they have nothing offensive (except the cost, lol).

These ships are a waste of time we should have bought off-the-shelf Arleigh Burke's, even if the watered down version as the Spanish have.

pugwash

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 04:59:41 pm »

well they have more teeth than they did a few weeks ago - before they could only gum you to death.

I must admit since I joined the Navy in 1961 I have never been more disappointed in a new class of ship
than I have with the Darings -  If they had fitted all armament as promised they would be reasonable if
overpriced.
Geoff

snowwolflair

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 05:53:33 pm »

The first batch of Type 22's were the same.  Even today you need two men and a trolly to relode the seawolf.

At least there is enough space on the 45s to seriously upgrade them in time.

The PAMS should be getting the cruise missile and anti sub missile capability in the next 18 months.

deadbeat

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 02:18:00 pm »

One of the unfortunate restrictions is the use of the Sylver vertical launch system, the Americam Mk41 system is far more versatile capable of taking a wide range of missiles.

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 02:58:28 pm »

The  US system is all very well in that it can fire anything from a cruise missile to an anti-ballistic missile BUT to my
mind it has one severe drawback it that one malfunction or bit of shrapnel on the launcher system and you have
lost the main part of your offensive capability. At least the batch III type 22s from a different era had Sea Wolf
launchers for'd and aft and Harpoon amidships. You can't really compare them with a flight III Arleigh Burke which
was designed after the 22s went operational and is about twice the weight.
I would prefer to see two launchers, for'd and aft, which are  capable of firing anything.
Geoff

deadbeat

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 02:36:03 pm »

I agree two sets of vertical launchers fwd and aft are far better than one. Trainable launchers are very vulnerable and high maintenence in comparison. I think the BIII T22s were about the best frigates we've had, but their time is past.

snowwolflair

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »

The number of launchers makes no difference.  One hit on a modern warship and everything goes out of calibration and stops working.

You would need two launchers two radars two command and control computers two control rooms and two master keys.  ie you need a second a second ship.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.