Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TREVs U177 AT L&DMBC  (Read 3200 times)

trevor v

TREVs U177 AT L&DMBC
« on: May 29, 2011, 04:19:31 pm »

3rd time out at luton & district model boat club,but 1st time with no problems (minor issue with the pitch & depth controller )1st time very bad trim 2nd time lost all power duto bad main batt connection.

note before some one says,the lower hull is only painted in red primer

thegrimreaper

Re: TREVs U177 AT L&DMBC
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:46:28 pm »

Looking very nice there

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:19:41 pm »

Looks great. What depth controller are you using?

trevor v

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:36:58 pm »

Hi mankster,
 engel LTR5.3 PITCH & DEPTH CONTROLLER .I had it controlling bow and aft planes,but now have it on just the aft, the bow are operrated manually A good performance of the LTR can only be achieved if the model itself is well trimmed the closer the trim is to perfect buoyancy the better the performance (so it says in the instructions).the set up and adjustment is not easy,it will be at st albans so i will hope to have advice from fellow sub men and more pool time to setup.
regards Trevor

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:27:10 pm »

For a boat like the Type IX with fulltime operational (e.g. non retracting) forward and rear hydrovanes, a better choice would be a separate leveller on the rear vanes, and a dedicated depth controller on the forward vanes.

The combined unit you have is best used with a boat with rear vanes only, like the Lafayette.

trevor v

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:59:09 pm »

hi
 if you go to engels web site then go to U177 you will see that the LR5.3 is what thay recommend for this sub thay say you can fix bow planes and not use them.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:27:06 pm »

I dont think the front plans are effective at the speed we run ours boats. Also on long sub like this the front planes takes a while to have much effect. I noticed this on my typhoon. Would be interested to see how the LTR performs. I have one but have never run it in a sub in anger before. Had it initally fitted in the Lafayette but she seemed to hold depth well enough for me and I was sticking to persicope depth due to visibility. So i swapped it out for a smaller pitch controller. But now with deep clear water depth controllers may be more useful.

Albion

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 04:07:59 am »

3rd time out at luton & district model boat club,but 1st time with no problems (minor issue with the pitch & depth controller )1st time very bad trim 2nd time lost all power duto bad main batt connection.
note before some one says,the lower hull is only painted in red primer

Nice shots, i used to live about 5 mins walk from there :) I would walk back from town along old Bedford then up Wardown crescent, just a kebab for company
Looks nice in the sunshine.

BTW they shouldn't be red :)

trevor v

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 07:47:20 am »

Nice shots, i used to live about 5 mins walk from there :) I would walk back from town along old Bedford then up Wardown crescent, just a kebab for company
Looks nice in the sunshine.

BTW they shouldn't be red :)

Hi Albion
 The lower hull is only in primer and will be painted in sea gray

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:46 am »

Most modern boats with front hydrovanes it's a waste of time making them operational unless you are willing to sacrifice scale fidelity and enlarge them. But for most WWII boats where the planes were a decent size and position well forward, you should get a decent response. I think you can switch off the depth control element on the LTR 5.3, try doing that and let it control the rear vanes automatically and adjust depth manually using just the forward vanes.

If scale fidelity is less of an issue, enlarging the vanes by 50% wouldn't impact looks too greatly but would really improve response.

trevor v

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 12:35:00 pm »

It is still very much work in progress,if it was easy it's probably less fun? IMO thats what modeling subs is all about.

Davy1

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 08:51:29 am »

I'm sure that is the right approach, Trevor.
What you put in you get out!

REDDEVIL

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 01:06:30 pm »

I have forevanes operational in my AKULA II. First choice installed a SUBTECH depth control with them. Don't know why, but there were a lot of problems in switching on and of. So, I decided to remove the control. Now she sails with APC in rear vanes and manual control in fore ones. As my skills in control improve, divings become more reallistic and control under water better.
I agree with trevor: This all is a matter of having fun... and stretching your ass and blow ballast if you loose the sub from sight (excuse me for the little rude).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.