Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Akula @ Hoylake  (Read 6993 times)

Gra

Re: Akula @ Hoylake
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 11:02:57 am »

Hi Mark,

Setup procedure is the same as your ESC.
Looks like i will have to look at the internals.
Thanks for your feedback.

Gra

Davy1

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »

Hi Gra,

Do you get this problem on the bench or only on the water?

- If on the bench, you may be overloading the BEC.(Try unplugging some servos)
-If on the water, it may be a radio related problem.(Try some aerial unbundling etc.)

David

thegrimreaper

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 02:04:56 pm »

HHmmm overloading the BEC nice one david never thought of that one but I might be wrong on this wouldn't radio interferance manifest itself as possible juddering of all other servos,?  I only say that because my U47 developed an interferance problem where by all the servos would judder like made I traced the fault to a bad connection on the battery. Electricery good when it's workin'  O0  bugga' when its not  <*< <*<

Gra

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 10:48:14 am »

Hi Mark and David,

Problem on the water, i am going to have another go this coming Sunday.Will let you no outcome.
Have taken your suggestions on board.

Gra

thegrimreaper

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 02:44:40 pm »

Could I also suggest checking the truness of the prop shaft and play in the shaft if the shaft is bent that could cause it to binde and draw more current same as if their is no end float between the shaft and outter tube maybe to heavy a grease being used in the shafts
worn commutator or brushes in the motor.

Regards Mark

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 10:55:44 pm »

Gra.
Your problem with your boat appears to be linked to the B.E.C which controls the voltage to your rx. I have seen and experienced this problem before and it may be due to the B.E.C overheating. The main cause of the problem was due to this externally mounted  component becoming detached from the aluminium body (heatsink) of the speed controller. It was usually glued to the side but heat caused it to detach in some cases. Take a look at the thing, if it has detached then it may get too hot and start cutting out or causing your symptoms.
 You can try sticking it back on but I would recommend you find a lightweight piece of aluminium sheet approximately a couple of inches square, drill a hole in it and bolt the B.E.C to it. Mount it anywhere convenient, you can fix it down to the servo tray with a tiewrap if necessary but it will serve as a good heat sink and hopefully your problem will disappear.

Regards.
Chris   

Gra

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 07:39:03 am »

Hi Mark and Chris,

Ran boat on Sunday and it ran okay,no sign of trouble.
Only thing i did was give the negative connection a good clean.Will try again next Sunday.
Chris,
We have discussed this problem way back in 2009 and before.Bec on ESC was isolated after these discussions.
At the same time you did supply an updated positive terminal and lead which i did fit.
Anyway will take all info on board and have a look for any loose connrctions etc.
Photo of my modified AKULA attached.

Gra

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 02:22:22 pm »

Hi Gra.
I have had this discussion with a few people over the years as it crops up once in a while, the old grey cells won't fire on all cylinders at times so individual cases are hard to remember.

The only other cause which springs to mind is that of the aerial. I'm not sure how or where yours is positioned but if inside the dive unit just make sure it's not bundled around the motor. I usually wrap the surplus wire around two fingers and strap it down somewhere on the aft servo tray using a tie-wrap, I have to add that I leave a little surplus in the forward tank to just to maximise the length.

If it is taken out of the dive unit into the wetted area it is vital that water will not contact the conductor through the end of the wire insulation so make sure this is effectively sealed with a blob of silicone sealant. Also check there are no nicks in the insulation along it's length since the water will earth out the aerial thus reducing range and causing glitching. Glitching also increases current drain quite dramatically and since the servos rely on the BEC to supply them, the temperature of the BEC goes up causing it to cut out at high temperature or maybe simply 'play up' as it gets hotter.

You're probably aware of all of the above but just thought it worth mentioning.
Regards.
Chris

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »

Oh, just one more thing.....my compliments to you on a really nicely turned out Akula, your extra detailing has really set the whole thing off.
Very nicely done that man! :-))

Gra

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 10:07:00 am »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the follow up,the old grey cells are kicking in here also.
Will follow up with all suggestions.
As a matter of interest i am still using the same battery purchased with Sub from you on 18/10/2004.
Not bad i would suggest.

Thanks Graham
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.