Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Sirmar 1/24 TID tug please.  (Read 3353 times)

kendalboatsman

Advice on Sirmar 1/24 TID tug please.
« on: March 01, 2007, 07:50:26 pm »

I have just finished building a workbench and now I can get on with building my models. First up is my Sirmar Tid Tug at 1/24 scale, I have purchased a 6v Decaperm motor motor for it. Is that suitable and should the propshaft be coupled through the gearbox?

I have scratch built from magazine plans and features before but this is my first attempt at a semi kit with no written guidance.

Thanks
Clive :)

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
Re: Advice on Sirmar 1/24 TID tug please.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 11:46:59 pm »

...Hi Clive...

I have a 6 volt Decaperm in my 1/32 Scale Damen Stan Tug which is 24" Long & it drives it lovely...

It drives a 50mm Kort Nozzle prop in a steerable Kort Nozzle... I would recommend that you fit a Steerable  Kort Nozzle instead of a Rudder for very much improved steering & handling...

Connect it through the gearbox & it will give you nice smooth power right through the range...

Good Luck with the building & post  some pictures as you go along....

...All The Best...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 12:08:49 am »

kendalboatsman,
Not a deccaperm in a steam tug, too noisey.
Mobile Model Marine or Motors Direct do some lovely multi-pole low rev-high torque motors.
Look for about 3000 rpm.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 12:25:26 am »

I have to agree with shipmate60,they are noisy,   Deccaperms are a motor that has been about for to long they have not kept up with modern modeling, They make a nice boat sound like a toy, A lot of modelers think because of there price they must be good, Most boats make a great sound box,so you need a quiet setup, If you have to run gears run belts ,but there are plenty of good motors about for that size of boat that can run direct drive,, These are JUST my thoughts.Peter

kendalboatsman

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 10:16:51 am »

Thank you gentlemen for your replies,

I am in the process of changing the decaperm motor/gearbox bushes for ballraces, I have also sourced some rubber couplings from RS components http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?Nr=avl%3auk&N=4294738230&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=4231781&callingPage=/jsp/browse/browse.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1312550826.1173003171@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddkfmilgfdcefeceeldgondhgg.0&cacheID=uknetscapeto isolate the propshaft from the motor and reduce vibration. I will also isolate the motor mount from the hull using a rubber  base or anti vibration mounts if they fit http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?Nr=avl%3auk&N=4294738247&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=2982982&callingPage=/jsp/browse/browse.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1312550826.1173003171@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddkfmilgfdcefeceeldgondhgg.0&cacheID=uknetscape.

Will be putting photos of the build on my wife's Flickr account when I get going.

Regards
Clive

PSSHIPS

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:29:35 am »

Hi Clive, the TID is not one I have built from our range, but, if I were building one I would use a slow reving direct drive set up, if the motor is quiet running anyway and the alignment with the shaft is spot on there will not be much noise. If you need any further advice give us a shout, but, it should be straight forward for you.
 Best regards, Paul...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.