Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin electric Waverider Navaho  (Read 13124 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Twin electric Waverider Navaho
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:55:07 pm »

Heres a video of a customers Navaho over in Finland.
Hes running twin t600 turnigy 880 kv outrunners on 6s lipos
200amp hk esc,s
57 mm plastic props
speed on maiden was 55.4 kph or arround 34 mph,motors batterys and esc were cool after 4-5 min runs,12 mins running total on his setup and everything was nice and cool.
Pretty impressive stuff for a budget build .Should see more speed with some propshop 5517/3 props hes ordered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LShaOtIXJw

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Twin electric Waverider Navaho
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 05:31:24 pm »

Heres a few pics of his setup for those interested,feel free to ask any questions or post comments.57 views and no comments don't be shy  :}.When he started collecting his parts for this build we spoke at some length about it and i also have the same setup to try in one of my Arrow hulls which are considerably lighter so speed will be even better on mine im hoping lol.
His target speed was 25-30 mph for a scale performance and hes more than achieved that allready and im sure he will get this boat to over 40 mph not bad for $30  motors.
Mart

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:05:32 pm »

Nice riding hull Mart  :-)) The motors look sort of "lost" in the hull don't they.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »

Hi Ian yea they run very light on the water,think he still needs turn fins on it but for a first run she looks very good.YES these outrunners do look lost in these big boats but there amazing the power they put out though,will try and get some numbers up as and when he gets them.The hull weighed in at 8 .6kg fully loaded.
Mart

fastvee

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:53:53 pm »

Hi all, that is my boat above  :-)

been forum member here for years and only now writing my 1st post...

Mart did exellent job with the hull design and laminating,  I am just finishing painting the boat (ready tomorrow) and it will take about a week until the paint has cured and sees water again, but I or Mart will let you guys know how it goes and looks after painting and with the new 5517/3 props I just received and started to s/b.

I belive that turn fins are not a must, I will lower the steering epa so it turns more scale and not do "handbrake" turns anymore  {-)

I can also borrow my friends watt/Amp monitoring stuff later in the summer so will know exactly how much power there is and what it draws from lipos.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:39:45 pm »

Hi Pate,good to see you on here.
Now your here you can post any updates yourself  :-)).
As regards turn fins they're not necessary but you will find that adding them improves the hulls stability when turning especially when its choppy as these large hulls tend to want to skipp and slide at speed when you turn.As your not racing it doesnt really matter  really,i never got round to adding them on mine either and she ran fine,just needed to be more carefull with the throttle in the turns lol.
Glad you got your new props,will look forward to seeing how shes goes with those and i cant wait to see the new paintjob when shes done.

fastvee

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:16:52 pm »

Tested the new props today, sadly no gps or properly working electronics >:-o

video ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdP5CBt-mUQ

Need to adjust the struts more down, but this really needs a new esc, it must be damaged cause one of the motors works onlywhen it wants...-and that must also slow the boat.

It did feel faster then on maiden but no data to proof it yet.

-Pate

scoop

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 12:38:00 am »

Hi Pate,good to see you on here.
Now your here you can post any updates yourself  :-)).
As regards turn fins they're not necessary but you will find that adding them improves the hulls stability when turning especially when its choppy as these large hulls tend to want to skipp and slide at speed when you turn.As your not racing it doesnt really matter  really,i never got round to adding them on mine either and she ran fine,just needed to be more carefull with the throttle in the turns lol.
Glad you got your new props,will look forward to seeing how shes goes with those and i cant wait to see the new paintjob when shes done.
Hi Mart, throttle....what's one of them ? My engine runs full on, 7-8 beautiful BHP in the turns and all that, I run just one turn fin on starboard side, the only time I slow is for the rescue.....  if they just happen to get in the way :-)) :} I'm thinking of putting a strut on the Navaho rather than a stinger, gotta get it built soon, the old Apache is looking rather battered, other boats keep running into and over it !!!! {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) :-)) or maybe the Apache is in the wrong place at the wrong / right time  :D :embarrassed: :} {-)
Scoop

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:45:29 am »

7-8 HP,you using one of them ebay specials that go over 100 mph scoop  :}.
Yes time to build the Navaho  :-)).
Mart

scoop

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:34:24 am »

7-8 HP,you using one of them ebay specials that go over 100 mph scoop  :}.
Yes time to build the Navaho  :-)).
Mart
Nah mate it's one of them Sikk 27's with a bit of very neat tuning  :} Never had to do anything to it in 3 years apart from change the plug and silicone rings on the exhaust manifold, put a new insulator block on it last week and that's about it. Its getting a bit tired now though as the 29's are starting to catch up with it  :D {-) {-) {-)
I'm thinking of putting my Alro Zen 26 in the Navaho, Mark ran one of these at Sheffield last year and it was ballistic, trouble is they take about 4 hours to run in properly  ;) I also found a new Sikk 27 lurking in a box in my workshop (almost forgot I had it, must have hid it from the missus  ;) know what I mean) so I might stick that in the Navaho instead and save the Zen for one of your newer bigger boats  :-))

Regards
Scoop

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:57:43 am »

Id stick the Alro in the Navaho and try the inline rcmk in the new BIG boat when i get one built  :-)).
Best keep that quiet from the missus as well  :}.
Mart

fastvee

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:11:16 am »

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 01:15:45 pm »

Ouch was that the new esc you fried ?,i wonder if the new props were too much for it.So what damge have you done is anything still alive  :o.
Mart

fastvee

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:21:47 pm »

Hi M8,as you know by now it was the old esc that burned and nothing else was damaged badly.

for some reason I dont receive email notifications of new replies from this forum, so this reply is a bit late.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:18:46 pm »

No worries mate im glad nothing was damaged,good to know my hulls are fire proof  {-).
Mart

fastvee

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 09:28:28 pm »

Tested the new motors(old one had  shorted and caused 2 esc burns)  -WOW!  -smallest plastic props and it barely touched water. Props spun inward, next I+ll try outward but that could spike the Amps...need to think.

drove about 6 minutes and temps were good, lipos,escīs cold and motors about 55 deg. c.  ,so the 55mm propshop props could work also.

The new escīs and motors are really smooth, slow driving and holeshots are easy.  %%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHVydGJgoOk&feature=player_embedded

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 08:06:21 pm »

Nice run keep us posted when you test the outward rotation and the propshop props.
Mart

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 09:33:06 pm »

Bit good that!   :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 10:38:15 pm »

How about some updated pics of the boat with her new paintjob and new motors etc.Keep up the good work Pate shes getting better and better,much faster than scale now ehh lol  O0.
Mart

fastvee

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 12:17:16 pm »

Latest video Mart has seen thes b4 but for the rest of you... 75pkh top speed so far!  -not too bad for cheap motors!  -allthough they both have ~4hp.... so 8hp in this hull ...yeehaaa!

And Mart, I somehow forgotted that this was scale project....so fun now!   %%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_RcW4yvf3Q&feature=player_embedded#at=63

I´ll try to get few pics of the setup in the weekend.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:58 pm »

Boat runs betetr and better each time i see it,love watching your vids mate.I will make a start on my own twin in the next few weeks,ill use the Arrow and see how she compairs.75 kph is pretty good thats 46 mph,still think she capable of more with your setup, maybe metal props in that size would see more speed without increasing the amp draw,are your propshop ones thinned etc?.
Mart

fastvee

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 06:58:45 pm »

The 5517/3īs are only s&b. (by me)  I have never thinned props, only barr cut and minor mods, dont think I even want to try...I would prolly just get them too thin :o

I have thoughted about ordering a pair of octura x457-460  ,but not in the budget right now.  I think that I will try the props I have for the rest of the summer and get new ones next summer.(and maybe hi Amp escīs to boost the speed a bit) 

Will try to get more footage in the weekend,

-Pate

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 11:57:21 am »

You could send em to dasboata and have him work his magic on them  ;).
Mart

fastvee

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 04:01:43 pm »

Just got back from testing minor mods... no gps but decent speed. 7 minutes of driving and the motors do draw more juice then the t600īs I had in this b4. -lipos were warm and slightly puffed after 3+4 minute runs  .After they cooled down they were fine. So I need to get another set of lipos so I can plug them to 2p config.

Motors, escīs  about 5o deg. C.

>Videos here, unedited  this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKNt2t__uAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58cgyiBFzxc

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 06:25:55 pm »

Looks awesome Pate well done mate  :-)).
Would love to see a few pics of the new setup when you get a chance,great to see a budget FE setup doing so well  she would give any gas boat a run for her money and then some O0.
Mart
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.