Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've got a Grey Bottom .... on my Aziz  (Read 5070 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
I've got a Grey Bottom .... on my Aziz
« on: March 01, 2007, 09:46:13 pm »

Hi everyone

Well, I have finally got the paint flowing.  Here are a few shots of the undercoat, done in grey.  I'm taking it steady and will wait until it's dry, before going to the next coat. Would you advise rubbing down, or spraying another coat first to make a thicker surface  ( hide the flaws !!)

Unfortunately, I have forgotton to cut out the drain slots at deck level.  I shall attempt this when its dry and hope I don't damage the paint edges  ???

The cabin has been 'prepped' with plastic sealer and will be sprayed white.   This brings me to the railings which are fitted.  Do I spray these white, and then paint them with a bronze or gold colour afterwards, or should I try and sand them back to the original braswork ?

Another question....  How do I place the words between the pictures rather than the way it's presented please ?

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I've got a Grey Bottom .... on my Aziz
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:28:58 pm »

Hi,

I have found it best to rub down between coats using 1500 wet/dry. Its better to have several thin coats than fewer thick coats. I always leave 24 hrs in the warm between painting and rub down. After rub down, wash with warm soapy water, rinse with clean water and leave somewhere warm for a few hours to dry off properly. Then, avoid touching the surfaces to be painted, cos you will leave skin oils on the surface.

As for the drain vents, I suggest cut them out before you do the rub down, then if there are any ragged edges they can be rubbed smmoth and wont be noticed when you put the next coat of paint on.

Hth

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:40:16 pm »

Thanks for that Ian.

I shall have a go at the cutting first as I am a bit worried about it. You are right about the filling in at this early stage, then I can mend before I continue.  Fancy me missing great big slots like that. Probably concentrating on the fine details and missing the bigger picture  :(

I shall have to get some finer sandpaper as I don't have any that small a grit.

Cheers...Ken

omra85

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:50:01 pm »

Ken - re photos and writing.
If you wite your first bit, go down a line, put your first "img" link in, go down another line, write a bit, down another line, then another link .......
Have a look at my last post (it's a long steep learning curve for me as well)  ;D
Danny

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:04:23 pm »

The way I have bean doing it is to click the 'additional options' and browse for an attachment, and then click 'post'

Where do I get  'IMG'  from please ?

Ken

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 11:23:01 pm »

You need to post your images on the web first e.g. photobucket etc,  then use the insert image function to place the copied URL of the picture to where ever you want it in your post.

As the man said, steep learning curve!! best of luck

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 08:57:41 am »

Hi,

I have found it best to rub down between coats using 1500 wet/dry. Its better to have several thin coats than fewer thick coats. I always leave 24 hrs in the warm between painting and rub down. After rub down, wash with warm soapy water, rinse with clean water and leave somewhere warm for a few hours to dry off properly. Then, avoid touching the surfaces to be painted, cos you will leave skin oils on the surface.

As for the drain vents, I suggest cut them out before you do the rub down, then if there are any ragged edges they can be rubbed smmoth and wont be noticed when you put the next coat of paint on.

Hth

Ian

The washing and rinsing advice is good, but you're just making work for yourself by using paper as fine as #1500, you only use something like that if you're going to polish the surface afterwards, not when you're going to paint over it. I'd use #600 or maybe #800, but with a very light touch, concentrating on any runs, blemishes or specks of dust, and barely touching the rest. If you're gentle with the action, the tiny scratches you leave will easily be covered by the next coat. Less is sometimes more when you get to the last stages of painting & finishing.
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it's very dark" Groucho Marx

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 10:23:42 am »

Thanks Kayem.

What type of paper is this.  Is it the black 'wet or dry' by 3M,  or the brown sandpaper for home decorating ?

I have found a box of bits from the house painting days with all sorts in it. Some is a rough as a gravel path  :D

Cheers...Ken

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 01:31:59 pm »

Hi,

You need the black wet/dry paper, and keep it well watered as the water flushes away the dust.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 01:45:40 pm »

Hi,

You need the black wet/dry paper, and keep it well watered as the water flushes away the dust.

Ian

More good advice. You don't want to get too much water on the model though, it has a habit of going where it isn't wanted. The best way to work is to keep a bucket of water by your side when you're using wet & dry, and keep washing the paper in that. Also, keep a damp cloth handy to wipe the sanded area to remove the wet dust or slurry, and keep rinsing the cloth in the bucket & squeezing it out. That keeps the working area clean so you can see what you're doing better. Like I said earlier, less can be more when finishing, and sanding too much is often worse than not sanding enough.
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it's very dark" Groucho Marx

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 06:01:23 pm »

I would put a squirt of fairy liquid in the wash as well, it lightens the cutting a bit
as to the brasswork, this will go black in time so I paint mine where I want it to look 'polished'  Tug
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 08:39:48 pm »

Thank you for all the advice. It really helps us beginners.

Finally took weapons in hand and CUT CUT CUT.  I had the vacuum taped to the side of the boat and had on TWO face masks.  With Dremmel in hand away I went.....right through the Bulwark supports. Only had to make 12 more and re glue them in.

Why does it look so simple when you read the magazines.  ;)

Here 's a few pictures of my efforts.   Also included is my start on the rear hatch cover.  As you can see, it is wider than the original design. This is in an effort to keep out the water from my lovely electronics.  :D 

Should be fun this weekend as I have a cut on the palm of my hand now.  The blood went into my undercoat on the hull, but should be hidden with the next spraying  ;D

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 08:42:36 pm »

Woops.. here is the hatch cover. That last one shows the new Bulwark supports

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 07:40:31 pm »

We are going great guns.  Here is the second layer.  Perhaps I should re-title the heading to.....

Now I've got a red Bottom.    

Or perhaps not   :D

I do regret the rear deck being in gloss.   It shows sanding marks etc, so today I rubbed it down with a lot of vigour.  Unfortunately, I started knocking off the little posts.  Made a right 'pigs ear'  I'm afraid. I have removed all the posts and handrails and I'm back to the base..  I shall give it a rest for a while as I'm off to Bournemouth to see 'Westbourne models' for a new season of buying.   ;D

I have used three posts to cover the picture sizes.

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 07:41:21 pm »

Second picture  .....Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 07:42:05 pm »

Third picture

Ken

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 09:05:48 am »

Looking good there Ken,

I think the raised hatch is probably a good move - must have drained about a litre out of mine at the weekend. The stern does get rather awash if there is some chop in the water. I'm startung to think in terms of bilge pumps.
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 10:40:56 am »

Not an Aziz, but I made the HFM ORSV and enlarged the hatch cover, adding plastruct structural beams underneath  to stiffen it. Just as well - the next time I looked at the boat there was a cat standing on it! No damage. Question - will your hatches stand the cat test?

Nice model, keep up the good work.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 05:27:10 pm »

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Yes I do have beams underneath to strengthen it. The copper bars also help with anti-wobble, as the whole thing is to be removeable.

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 04:53:27 pm »

Here is the latest update.

I have sprayed everything like a mad man. Couldn't resist placing the loose deck pieces
on to see what it looks like.  Isn't it great when it starts to look a bit more together.?

I have scrapped the rear deck posts and colour scheme, and plan to go for a lighter
green colour. I have (waiting in the wings), some square brass tubing and hope to
make a better railing system.

The gates are made and the railings will be made to match the gap.  Unlike the original
where the railings were glued in and the gates were too wide,  Ho hum.

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 10:30:13 am »

Well, plenty of modifications now.  Been working full time on her these days.

Totally rebuilt the rear deck.  I have square brass stanchions and brass railings, bolted in from underneath  (no glue !!).  The large bollard is made of coach bolts and should tow a Lorry  ;D

Complete respray in a different shade of green, and the wood sections all glued in.

The cabins have 6 coats of paint. Unfortunately, the internal lights are shrouded in paint, so will have to be changed for new 'LED's'

Parts are sprayed with undercoat and top coat white, and waiting for final colours and tarting up.  My, how that little sailor looks small.  I don't think I'll worry about what colour his eyeballs are.   :D

I find I'm spending over two hours a day on here, just catching up with the mail, as it's so interesting. Must switch off and get modelling  8)

Cheers...Ken

Roger in France

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 04:23:28 pm »

Glad you changed the background sheet for the pictures. My dog was getting very annoyed as the previous background was her bed cover!

Which red paint did you use for the bottom, please?

Roger in France.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 12:04:22 am »

Hi Roger

Woof woof

The lower colour is the red oxide undercoat. I used about three resprays and rubbing down to get it right. I'm hoping it will look OK with the varnish when I do it.

Funny you should notice the backing cloths. They all seem to different, don't they.  I never noticed, as I just grabbed the nearest cloth to blank out the background for the pictures.

I'm really enjoying the build now, as I am putting on all the little extras. An anchor here and a lifebelt there. Whoops, forgot to paint this or that.

I have modified the front mast and will do a report on my 'Grey bottom ' page.

Off to the South Wales show tomorrow.  Can't get enough of boats.  ;D

Cheers...Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.