Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: i-pads  (Read 13142 times)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: i-pads
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:42 am »

I'm wondering about going portable. I'd thought hard about the Cambridge Sciences tablet until we were advised to wait for Android 3. How long will it take for Android 3 tablets to get more affordable? Or is the best thing to jump in now at the level I can afford because otherwise you are always waiting for the next upgrade when you could be learning? I like the idea of the GPS and being able to google and read the e-mails on the move. I don't want to pay £400 and would be happier paying half that.

The annoying thing is that the techies can get organised quicker than the luddites!

Roadrunner

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2011, 12:42:22 pm »

you want my advice? no well i'll give it anyway ...

WAIT! don't buy one of these for a while yet. Let the market settle, there's now 8 different pallet pc's out at present, let the technology work out the bugs, that means life span of battery's etc. None of these have been out long enough to say how long their life span is. there is also the fact that 3d screens (no glasses) are in production (nintendo ds started that) which will no doubt be implemented into the next generation of pallets so yours will be out of date in seconds, and that's just the start of the what's up and coming.

If you want a small portable computer buy a HP 14" pallet laptop! its a full computer and has the functions of touch screen added (where you think apple stole the idea from in the first place?!) the screen can rotate 360 and lay flat so its like an ipad or whatever, but you have that extra ability of cd/dvd drive. decent hds (500gig +, mine has 1 tera bite! can''t see and ipad with more the 64gig lol), decent net functions, and no 'purchasing apps'.

There are to many products out there that top the ipad just a lot seam to be stuck and can't see this is just a gimic to part with cash. Remember the ipads and other handheld systems still require a computer to do a lot of jobs (upload programs, films music. etc etc etc.) your just better off buying a proper computer which i have no doubt will last longer!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2011, 02:02:57 pm »

Thanks, rr, though your advice may be a counsel of perfection. I've got a desktop, and I'm not looking for computer power - just something inexpensive and portable. GPS thrown in would be handy for bike rides, and I'd like e-mail/the web away from home. The HP 14" does seem a bit ott and expensive for what I want. For example, I ride a Royal Enfield, not a ZZR1400 or R1, if you get my drift.

Roadrunner

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2011, 02:19:01 pm »

If you just need a gps/sat nav system what about the 'tom tom' go , or similar many of those now incorporate functions similar to the ipad, net functions, radio,mp3,  tv in some! They are usually around the 6" square mark, prices from £50- £400!

Contracted ones tend to be cheaper to buy but even there packages are not unreasonable. The chairman of our club has a built in system to the dashboard, its got pc functions, radio, mp3,mp4  cd control, built in phone, sat nav and a bunch of other pointless gadgets when your driving, all touch screen and voice controlled.

There are Aslo many 'smart phones' out there that incorporate gps/sat nav and have the functions of a micro pc. The Iphone 4 ( although i hate it) the Android series, sony erricson, Windows Phone, HTC  Nokia, Samsung, Motorola to name a few, out there that will do all the jobs you require. ( remember smart phone not 'camera' phone) phones on paygo, from £150- £350 ish contract on the decent smart phones free to £100+ the month contract which for those types of phone are in the £40-£80pm mark.

Told you i was a tecky  :P There are many gadgets out there that can do particular jobs, but i doubt you could get away with using a sat nav setup ipad on a bike or in a car without getting pulled over by the plod brigade!  :police:

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »

Pushbike rides - so I can find the fastest way home if I get lost - though I can read a map, but it won't have any speed info. I'm wondering about the Jextab delux which will apparently be upgradeable to 3. Trouble is I also like the 11.6" screen Acer net/lap thing- though I don't really want a laptop  after all I've got the desktop to work on. Ho hum it's all very perplexing.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2011, 04:37:24 pm »

Now that I've got my iPad up and running (nearly 3 days of frustration) and slowly getting to grips with the things capabilities (magic) I have yet another question.
Is there a device that will enable me to increase the range of the (Belkin) router? I, in my ignorance, sort of assumed that a form of signal amplifier would be commonly available. Apparently not so. I don't need much more distance....perhaps 20ft or so, to allow the pad to be used within a detached workshop/garage. Any thoughts? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2011, 04:51:20 pm »

Bryan,

Are you with virgin media? If you are go on to there website and you can get a free router. I have just recieved mine and it has improved the range no end.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

treeboa

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2011, 08:29:53 am »

after using an ipad of the mates, looking at the cost of the app`s, seeing just how invaluable a tool it would be in my life i went totally sideways and purchased a samsung galaxy tab, i now have a device that does for me exactly what the ipad would personally give me, it does however have access to the android market where a lot of ` apps` are free of charge, not only that but it does something the `i-blab` cant do not even the new updated one - its capable of making and recieving telephone calls, sending texts and mms`s, it has flash, it was still a damn sight cheaper than a second hand `ipad`, it has wifi, it has gps and gprs, it even plays `i tunes`  music  {-), so im out fishing with the mate, im chatting to him about a fishing tackle deal i had just seen on the web and showed it him on the tab when suddenly the call tone goes, its my partner lilyann, asking if the mates with me as his wife s trying to ring him, hes gobsmacked because his `matching` i phone is flat and on charge in the car, the call has come in seamlessly with the web browsing, no ipad can do this, yes they can use instant messenger, thats assuming the data connection is good, but his has not been set up for messenger, so hes blapping about the memory his pad has, my tabs got 64gb as well, hes muttering about some barcode scanner thing, so i shows him the one on my tab, he started blabbering about the pdf reader on his, so i sent him some pdf docs i have been reading on the tab about e boats and while i was at it an ebook which i have been reading off and on for a month, so he then starts bemoaning the iphone and the cost, only to be totally urinated off when i tell him as my contract was up i had just replaced it again with o2, with that i got the galaxy s which does near all the tab will do albeit a smaller screen, im now paying less monthly than i was previously and i have a spare mini tab/phone - just means shifting the sim across, seems his son is getting the `i-doorstop` for uni and hes off to get himself a tab on contract, he is flogging his `i always dead phone` which is on o2 same as me and putting the sim into the new tab, best part, if i need to i can take my big laptop away with me and tether the tab or the galaxy s to it and access the web via that rather than have a seperate `dongle`
end the day its horses for courses, the ipad offers a lot of expensive apps/functions i will never ever use and from what i have seen and read few other people will use either
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.