Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: i-pads  (Read 13219 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
i-pads
« on: June 02, 2011, 07:53:09 pm »

After long and careful thought, and succumbing to the salesmanship of No.1 son....I went out today and bought an i-Pad.
Cost at least a months worth of SWIMBOs pension but she didn't seem all that bothered. Wheels within wheels .
However. Talking to people who actually have one of these devices they all said it was all "Intuitive" and any moron could understand the whole thing.
But while I was in the process of actually buying the thing my eye noticed a book titled "The Dummies Guide To The i-Pad". So I bought that as well.
Please tell me just why a book explaining how to use an "intuititive " and so-called simple machine takes a book of over 290 pages to explain.
As you may have noticed, I'm not altogether "computer illiterate"...but now I feel like the moron mentioned earlier.
Next step? Who knows.
Get learning again ,and hope the brain cells can re-generate somehow. BY.

Notes from a simple seaman

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: i-pads
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:57:27 pm »

Hi Brian

I am using the iPad, always use it on here, the main issue is logging your iPad with iTunes but it's quite a simple process, you will need do that on another pc though...

Russ

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:29:40 pm »

I pad= Total Dogs Wholop!

Your opinion noted and the rant removed.

Bob

AL 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »

MODERATED

Aggresive or threatening messages against another member are not allowed on the forum.

Brian
Global Moderator

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:20:42 pm »

I would keep your stupid comments to yourself, might make yourself anti-social.

Russ

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:24:01 pm »

!

Normally i'm the first to buy new gadgets but not this one.... buy an I pad then they bring out an I pad 2... in how long 6 weeks from launching the first... please what a joke, its a big con with this tech! Give it till November and the I pad 3 will be out in time for xmas!   I'll put money on that !!

Ipad 1 launced April 2010
Ipad 2 Launced March 2011   a bit more than six weeks, and I know people who change their car at leats once a year, so I see no problems really..   So you don;t like it  but in 2010 14.8 million worldwide did.. :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:27:30 pm »

People are entitled to spend their money as they wish. You shouldn't criticise their preferences just because they don't accord with your own.

Colin

snowwolflair

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:27:49 pm »

He cannot help it, an apple must have fallen on his head as a child. :-)

Roadrunner

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:49 pm »

if you don't like my opinion that's fine ( i don't really care.) but none the less i can voice it, just accept it instead of getting on ya high horse and biting back because you don't like what i said.

The above comment isn't true, if you cannot express yourself in a less aggressive way you will be moderated further or other sanctions imposed,

Bob

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:10:17 pm »

What these tablet devices need is a protective cover for when they are not in use, hinged to one edge to stop it getting lost.
Thinking about it, you could fit all, sort of, operating button thingys on the lid, much like a keyboard, and have the screen stand up at the back of it.  Or have I just invented the netbook?

What is intuitive to somebody who has been a computer design frgeek for the last score of years, is almost certainly incomprehensible to a normal person.  297 pages sounds about right for converting geek intuition into human thought.  I remember, many years ago, seeing an engineering handbook about the RS232 signalling protocol.  When you come down to it, that has, basically, three wires, send, receive and earth, with the opportunity for designers to pile a few extras on.  That handbook was almost 100 pages.  It is/was the "serial" port on your old PC that early mice and modems would plug into, when 2400baud was considered as pushing the limits a bit.
Having said that, I have been messing with electronicery since leaving school, and programming a VCR was still a job to pass on to my kids.......
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »

When you buy a new car it comes with a handbook amounting to a couple of hundred pages or more. When you hire one you just get in it and drive it! Handbooks are fine but once you have read them you rarely need to consult them again.

I have an iPhone 4 which I like very much but it has lots of facilities on it that I don't need but other people may find essential. You just pick out the bits you need and disregard the rest. The documentation is there as a reference.

Colin

snowwolflair

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »

I store +18,000 photos and 200+ ship plans on mine along with hundreds of pdf files of drawings including the entire Jecobin X drawings set.

Its great in the workshop any drawing any photo any ship any size in seconds.  You dont even have to wait for a hard disk to spin up. :-))

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:14 pm »

Oh dear. I had no idea that such a simple post could lead to such a lot of "blue print". I'm sure that the "machine" I've bought is a very capable bit of stuff (should be at the prices charged), but all I was trying to get across was that what seems to be intuitive to some is a pain in the tripes to others. So far I've learned how to charge up the battery....so progress of a sort I suppose! BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 11:11:33 pm »

Just enjoy the thing Bryan, if nothing else it is a mental challenge and I'm sure you will find a practical use for it. If we didn't try these things our brains would atrophy!

I have got a wonderful App for my iPhone (which I imagine will also run on the iPad) whereby you can hold it up to the night sky and it will display the stars and celestial objects you are looking at and give you all sorts of information about them. Magic! It uses GPS to work out where you are and an internal gyro type mechanism to establish the orientation of the device.

Just what you needed in the RFA when the weather was overcast and you hadn't had a fix for days!

Colin

Roadrunner

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 11:30:46 pm »

Post moderated - you have been warned...twice.

Peter.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 11:42:06 pm »

RR,
Thank you for the compliment.
Your opinion has been left, your rant has not.
Your rant was always going to get a response, which it did and was moderated.
I have been through your Komet build log, the rants are a bit boring, but it is mostly factual so was left.
I always enjoy reading your posts, you really do give me a chuckle.
You have been on Mayhem to know the ethos, your rant was beyond what is acceptable.
I am not going to get in a discussion with you about past or future posts, or anything else, ok2 but be assured I will be reading yours with interest to ensure that I get my daily chuckle.

;)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Roadrunner

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 11:48:55 pm »

lol top man least i make some one happy  :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 01:51:42 am »

lol top man least i make some one happy  :-))

Are you really that naive  ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Trooper63

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 02:26:23 am »

I have an iPad 1, and use it at work.  I was always reluctant to buy one, as I'm not an apple fan, but I fully admit that I would be somewhat lost without it now.

I'm a master IV and the apps which are available are excellent.  From navigational programs to study guides, you need it then it is here.

I also do training and assessment, and I can records the tracks of assessments and send them to anyone else for training or records.

They are amazing.  Oh, I have an "otter box" case for it, making it rugged, and for the small boats a waterproof envelope with clear front.

Keep at it sir, you will grow with it.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 03:11:14 am »

What can I say but that I don't have one and don't want one, nor do I have a Mobile phone, but am surviving well no ringing at the movies etc.
Ah the bliss of it all.
 %) %) %) :-)) :-)) :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 07:07:59 am »

I've briefly use these I-pads and must admit, I was very impressed with the concept, speed and ease of use.

Cons: Way, way over priced, no 'Flash' content, seem very susceptible to damage and i think you will still need
 another laptop, PC or Mac for other stuff it can't do ....

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Roadrunner

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 09:04:27 am »

Are you really that naive  ?

~Ever heard of sarcasm Dicky~ try writing something constructive for a change instead of getting on my case with nearly every post i type.  O0

TugCowboy

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 11:00:21 am »

I've recently got an iPad2 and I take it everywhere with me! the Mrs got me a lovely Carbon Fibre case for it too, so its not going to get damaged. The battery life is brilliant and it makes a great sat nav, I use it for paperwork and as others have said its wonderful for use in the "workshop" so easy to load up a plan, zoom, drag it around etc and anyone could use it.

Very handy for making sketches, annotating photos etc.

Amusingly, I saw at least 2 other people at Wicksteed using iPads, and all were using them to check Mayhem ;)

Alex

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 11:26:31 am »

Just enjoy the thing Bryan, if nothing else it is a mental challenge and I'm sure you will find a practical use for it. If we didn't try these things our brains would atrophy!

I have got a wonderful App for my iPhone (which I imagine will also run on the iPad) whereby you can hold it up to the night sky and it will display the stars and celestial objects you are looking at and give you all sorts of information about them. Magic! It uses GPS to work out where you are and an internal gyro type mechanism to establish the orientation of the device.

Just what you needed in the RFA when the weather was overcast and you hadn't had a fix for days!

Colin
The only times we had navigational problems was when a war canoe was in charge! Bryan.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 11:28:01 am »

~Ever heard of sarcasm Dicky~ try writing something constructive for a change instead of getting on my case with nearly every post i type.  O0
I could not write anywhere near the amount of postings you do, I have other things to keep me busy.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 23 queries.