Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: i-pads  (Read 13145 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: i-pads
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 03:22:49 pm »

One of the airlines, I think Alasakan, has just issued its pilots with ipads.

All the charts and flight plans can weigh in at over 25 lbs (about 12kg). These also need to be produced at a printer.

The ipads will hold all of this information, weigh less (occupational health benefits) and cost less to produce and maintain.

The ipads will not be loaded with games.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 03:48:31 pm »

One of the airlines, I think Alasakan, has just issued its pilots with ipads.

All the charts and flight plans can weigh in at over 25 lbs (about 12kg). These also need to be produced at a printer.

The ipads will hold all of this information, weigh less (occupational health benefits) and cost less to produce and maintain.

The ipads will not be loaded with games.

I hope they know at below 0degC the screen becomes erratic and can suffer total failiure.  Same goes for the iPhone.

There was a lot of problems with them here in Finland over the winter.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

sunworksco

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 04:45:56 pm »

I have an iPhone with iPhly for rc aircraft.
I am also building a carbon fiber case and installing my Robbe F-14 radio parts into the case with the twin and single sticks on the face. I am then installing the iPad in the middle of the case with the Spektrum telemetry http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/telemetry.aspx
The Robbe F-14 will have 75MHz and also 2.4GHz TX modules.
It will have unlimited rc model memory and enabled to send data and images/videos anytime anywhere.
I am using a Wi-Fi only (no 3G internet) iPad and a Virgin/Sprint Mi-Fi puck. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband/mifi-2200.html?cid=DaV_ppc_go_mifiV_b_virgin+mifi
Sounds crazy but this will be the future of rc.
Regards,
Giovanni

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »

Just a thought, where is the advantage in not being able to see all of the picture.
The example of pilot maps has weight saving advantages but does not allow the user to view the full map, showing what is between point A to B, or even beyond and around the points of interest.
There is an advantage if the selected map course is loaded into the i-pad, but unforseens could alter the course, without the full information around you at a glance, hey  presto big problem, also shipping charts come to mind.

TugCowboy

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 09:18:50 am »

As a bit of a flyer myself, and with many pilot friends, its something that's come up often.

An airline wouldn't put in such functionality without thinking about it. There is currently an app by Jeppesen which is great for approach plates and should you need to change plate fast, for whatever reason, then its far easier to do so with the iPad than with a load of maps. A couple of flicks of the finger, or a few keystrokes is all thats needed. Not Finding out the right book/wallet and then flicking through till you find the right one which has probably been put back in the wrong place anyway.

Correctly applied, good technology like the iPad increases functionality, not removes it!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 09:53:32 am »

Correctly applied, good technology like the iPad increases functionality, not removes it!

Untill the battery runs flat :)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 05:37:17 pm »

Can an iPad be powered (and used) only by using the charging cable? Handy for indoor use....save the battery for use elsewhere. BY
Notes from a simple seaman

bikerdude666

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 11:40:57 pm »

Should be ok, I leave my iPhone plugged in all day and use it only unplug it when I go to work at night, then straight back on charge in the morning.

Not sure what battery is in it though, if it's the same as my MacBook pro I wouldn't leave it charging all the time as this bu66ered my laptop battery and now only works on mains (new 1 costs around £100)

But I think they use the same type of battery as the iPhone and as such should be fine.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 01:14:47 am »

Hi Brian,

yes the iPad can be run from the charger and still charge the batteries too. I have to say I haven't done this and still used either the 3G or WiFi at the same time however.

FYI and for those who don't like the look of the iPad but want a pad/tablet, I've had an Acer Iconia A500 from work for a couple of weeks now. Similar price to the iPad but runs Android 3. It's a very nice device too. Other options would be the Asus Transformer - I think that's the name. One thing to look for is that they have Android 3.x on them and not 2.X... 2.X is for phones, 3.X for tablets...
Alister

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 04:33:27 am »

My daughter the geek has taken her battery out of her laptop and only runs it on the mains/charger cable.

The reason for removing the battery is that there are only a finite number of charges before the battery starts to degrade. According to her sources. And so by removing the battery this problem is removed. It also makes for lighter transportation.

I would assume that the ipad also has a removable/exchangeable battery.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 06:33:39 am »

The batteries in any of the i* stuff are not supposed to be removed by anyone other than Apple staff when they do a refurbishment I believe. Opening the case will void the warranty in short order. Despite that, kits assisting this procedure are easily found. The batteries are lithium something, so do have limited cycles like any of that type. On the other hand, I have an iPhone 3GS that is now over two years old and is still going strong - not that I use it anymore it has been replaced by other things :)
Alister

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »

Sorry to keep asking about this most frustrating of machines!. Put it down to being yet another "age thingy".
Is there any way data (print, pictures etc.) can be transferred/copied from the desk-top PC (non-Mac) to the iPad? I've got the "iPad for Dummies" book, but haven't found a solution as yet......if there is one. Sorry for all the palavar, although the way the thread has progressed has been very informative. Bryan Y.
Notes from a simple seaman

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 04:52:08 pm »

Yes, there is software that converts it.
Not sure what, but I think modern macs have it built in. Maybe not ipads.
Some of it may be downloadable as freeware/shareware.

but yes, it can be done

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 05:10:26 pm »

If both PC and iPad are connected to the internet, you might find it easiest to email yourself documents/attachments, and "save as" (or whatever Macs do) at the receiving end.

I once had to move files from a PC to a Mac 2metres away via a server in the US and two trips across the Atlantic. Annoying, but it worked and was the quickest way to get the job done.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Dekan

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »

Roadrunner... It's very hard to post anything critical about Apple products, as their supporters/thought police are ever vigilant to nip such heresy in the bud.. :police:
How do you tell people that a lot of Apple's product are mostly smoke and mirrors...Very little innovation... lots of marketing :o

bikerdude666

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:24 pm »

I'm not sure about pics to an iPad from a pc, if theres a pc version of iphoto then it's incredibly easy, but I don't know.

You can do it direct from a digital camera to iPad if you get the right adapter, available on the apple online store.

Btw I was 1 of the biggest critics of the iPad when it came out, didn't see the point, drawbacks of an iPhone with the drawbacks of a Netbook... Now I've used 1 and have to say am considering getting 1. I jump to apple defence when people moan that apple won't let you illegally share files, there's a key word there, 'illegally'...

sunworksco

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:14 pm »

I just bought an iPad 2 and I'm amazed at all the incredible things it can do, like point it at a plant and it will identify it!
Point it at the night sky and it will identify the star system. Amazing!
Regards,
Giovanni

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 10:22:24 pm »

I just bought an iPad 2 and I'm amazed at all the incredible things it can do, like point it at a plant and it will identify it!
Regards,
Giovanni
Recall reading somewhere a long time ago, that there was something called 'Homo Sapiens', that could do the same, plus much much more.  ;) ;) :-)) :-)) %) %) %)

Roadrunner

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 11:44:03 am »

Recall reading somewhere a long time ago, that there was something called 'Homo Sapiens', that could do the same, plus much much more.  ;) ;) :-)) :-)) %) %) %)

Think many forget its not really the computer that is identifying the objects its just searching the web for similar images until its gets a hit.... but its all come from real people who know these things who have spent the time uploading images and accurate descriptions and such.

Its just a lazy. Sorry but i will never buy into it, i have yet to see these things help me in a way that's useful that i can't do off my own back with a little bit of effort, besides you learn more when you search rather than just have a simple answer throw at you...

Of all the technology in the world you would think they would put i to better use then proving the masses with another reason to be lazy, anti social & addicted to a battery powered gadget that really doesn't do any good in the long run, its just a gimic to make money, same as the banks and there over draft charges and such rubbish.. where's all that cash go? in big wigs pockets to drive nice fancy Z class Mercs or some 50 bedroom mansions for a family of 4 and not spent on helping out poor countries to pull them out of the poverty trap, which is half the reason the worlds in a state right now.....

When i end up in a retirement home ( swear my kids will put me there!) i dread to think of all the people in there with me trying to use'' I watches'' or some rubbish with crippling arthritis, partial sightedness, god knows what mental damage it will do if a 80 year old cant get there fix of Facebook or twitter it will most likely be a cause for a heart attack!

Your status on facebook '' WoW currently having a heart attack cos I can't log into twitter'..............................

Sure you all guessed I don't like the Ipad, huh!

When someone shows me how its a real NEED to the world and it can change things for the better... then i might start coming round a bit but doubt that will never happen in my life time!

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 01:10:03 pm »

i have to admit i tend to agree with rr above

gadget that does some a few things well but not really necessary and does nothing that can't be done better by other cheaper options.

when you look at the technology inside it it's about twice the price it should be but thats apple all over

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 01:20:02 pm »

Technology can be your master or your servant, you can choose.

But 100 years ago there were those who refused to use the telephone.

I also read an old story about a man who refused to use a car, or bus. c. 1940s, he said he could walk everywhere he needed to go. As time progressed his kids moved to another state. He gradually lost touch with his family.

I dislike computers, but I am here ain't I.  %)
I have not choice about facebook or twitter, both are blocked in China. But I do rely on skype for video calls with our daughter in UK.

I could use a road atlas, but I find the GPS is more convenient when driving, as you can't check a road map in the middle of a one way system in Manchester.

I used to think that electric windows were a foolish luxury, until I tried to drive a RH drive through border controls on the continent and had to pass my passport through the window, on the opposite side of the car.

I used to think that mobile phones and email was for posers and geeks. Now most people find them essential, even for domestic and family use.

I used to think nobody needed a car bigger than 1.3L until I regularly did long journeys.

I could go on and on and on and on..................................................... %) %) %) %) %) %)

stubbsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 01:56:40 pm »

I hear Apple are bring out a new gadget next year, don't to much details but they are calling it the i-pen.  %% {-)

pugwash

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 02:36:59 pm »

and for those into self flagulation there will be the i-lash

Geoff

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 03:16:58 pm »

Regards,
Giovanni
A truly wondrous device for doing things that never needed doing before it was available.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Roadrunner

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 03:17:25 pm »

and for those into self flagulation there will be the i-lash

Geoff

lol people into that!?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.