Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: i-pads  (Read 13144 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: i-pads
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 03:27:47 pm »

and for those into self flagulation there will be the i-lash

Geoff

was that the one made for Max the lash Mosley

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »

The new apple product aimed at children has been shelved as market researchers concluded the "i-Touch Kids" would not sell well
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 04:39:41 pm »

Now seriously thinking that I should never have asked what I thought was a simple question. Some answers very amusing. Some somewhat dismissive. But until you've actually tried the device then the "no-sayers" are really just blowing in the wind.
With 65gb to play with......as soon as I learn how to store all my modelling "stuff" in the gizmo (presently stored on CDs) I may just begin to make some inroads into reducing the "clutter" and re-locate the CDs into the loft.
I'm not sure (to say the least) about storing "stuff" in some sort of ephemeral "cloud" (sounds a bit "Nebulous" to me).
I also quite like e-books....but I don't like not being able to pass a finished book to someone else. Second-hand bookstores are "lifesavers" for many people for all sorts of reasons. I'd hate to see e-books kill off that market. Having said that, I didn't buy "the machine" just for myself. For various reasons (boredom, too much heat, too much bright light, airports etc) nowadays I "stay at home" and let SWMBO and her sister gallivant to furrin parts. The e-book is of great benefit to travellers.
All in all, I'm still a bit ambivalent. Bryan Y.
Notes from a simple seaman

Roadrunner

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 04:48:54 pm »

In regards to backing up stuff on an ipad and consigning all of it to the loft i think that's not such a good idea.

I have a laptop and a desktop both with 250 gig hd's and i back up everything on DVD/CD you never know when something might fail, HD etc, Ipads can also be hacked and obtain viruses believe it or not! Its always worth backing up your stuff and keeping it handy just in case.
I pads have not been out long enough to find how long there lives are... would you trust sending it off for repair hd, screen, battery and loose all that info stored on it with no back up for things you no longer have, it takes a lot of trust and i'm not that trusting (besides i can fix my own pc when it goes wrong cant fix an Ipad without voiding warranty)

Store what you like on there by all means just make sure you keep up to date with backing up things  :-))

jimmy2310

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 06:10:02 pm »

I've just bought the wife the latest gizmo from Argos its called an iRON, oops I'm in trouble she's reading over my shoulder.

Jimmy

Roadrunner

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 06:17:16 pm »

What century do you live in ~Irons have been around since before I was born! but here's some encouragement for the Mrs...

snowwolflair

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 06:18:41 pm »

What this thread needs is a C-iYOTE

Roadrunner

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 06:30:59 pm »

Yeah always one step behind,(reminds me of Microsoft)  everyone know the Roadrunner outsmarts the coyote {-) O0 Beep Beep  {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 06:40:59 pm »

Sad lack of coyotes in oggieland
must feel safe there RR

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Roadrunner

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 06:52:02 pm »

Don't worry Karma will get me in the end.

omra85

« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2011, 11:01:30 pm »

I thought "if Bryan can do it - so can I", so off I went to buy myself one of these new gadgets.
Entering the computer shop, I  asked the large guy with the pony tail for an I-pad.
He sneered and said "we don't sell Macs".
"That's ok" says I, "I've got an umberella anyway - but I still want an I-pad".
With that, he leaned over the counter, right up close, peered into my eyes and said "yes, they do look a bit bloodshot, try next door"
Well the shop next door appeared to be a chemists as well - I suppose small businesses HAVE to diversify nowadays). There was a girl behind the counter, and (in my sexist way) I thought I might have "difficulty" explaining what I wanted!
But no! As soon as I mentioned the word "I-pad", she winked and shot off upstairs.
In no time at all she was back, and sold me the I-pad which came in a large box and was already wrapped (in plain brown paper for some reason??).  It was dirt cheap! To be honest I was expecting to pay more than £12.99 for it, but I wasn't going to quibble.
Anyway, I'm home now and am unpacking it.  It must be very small, as I can't find it in the box - just the packing which seems to be packets of extremely large nappies!
What do these I-pads actually look like? (and what is incontinence? - American for a worldwide guarantee perhaps??)

Cheers
Danny

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2011, 12:32:28 am »

Bryan,

the iPad can print to a wifi printer that is running something called Airprint. Many of the cheap wifi capable printers available these days support this.
As for syncing stuff from iPad to PC and vice versa, there are a number of apps available in the app store that do this over WiFi. Almost all require some software installed on the PC that can talk back to the ipad when you ask it to do things. I have never tried any of these personally, so I can't recommend one and I can't tell you if you might have to pay for one either.
On the other hand, iTunes will sync photos and stuff to and from the iPad and PC when you connect the two with the USB cable and if you let iTunes manage your photos.
Or you have a GMail account and set that up on the ipad, you can sync notes and stuff between GMail and the iPad.
Additionally, when you connect your iPad to your PC, in iTunes when you select your ipad in the sidebar of the left and then choose the Apps menu item in the main screen, this will list all the apps installed that will transfer files between the iPad and the computer.

HTH...

Alister.
Alister

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2011, 05:20:00 pm »

Alistaire.....thanks for your response. Now all I have to do is sit down, break into chunks and let the little grey cells work on it. Sheesh. And all this is supposed to be "intuitive"....maybe I've just lost my intuition!
Actually (in real life), this morning I took the infernal machine back to whence it came and sort of explained that I didn't understand why the recommended "upgrade" had taken 5 hours (!) to download, and then proceeded to "freeze" the whole damn thing. Nor did I understand why (after "syncing"...more than once), why I kept getting the statement that "No Internet Connection Is Available"...even though I was on the Internet when that message came through!
"They" (the "Boffins") found that they had the same problems as I was having. Great sighs of relief from yours truly.
"Never had this before, sir. This is the first time we've had one of these returned" (Really?). Now all I have to do is wait for anything between 24 hours and 8 weeks (eh?) for a replacement. Then no doubt the saga will re-commence!
All a bit like the old nursery-rhyme...."When she's good she's very good....but when she's bad she's friggin awful"
A "life changing experience"? You betcha, but not the sort I anticipated. BY.

Roadrunner

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2011, 05:42:49 pm »

lol, Word's I told you so are coming !

Surely though since it was returned because its not working correctly they should have just exchanged it then and there rather then making you wait for god knows how long, normally you get a minimum of 30 days on fault products for instant replacements, over that, then the 1 year guarantee kicks in for repairs.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2011, 06:53:56 pm »

I thought "if Bryan can do it - so can I", so off I went to buy myself one of these new gadgets.
Entering the computer shop, I  asked the large guy with the pony tail for an I-pad.
He sneered and said "we don't sell Macs".
"That's ok" says I, "I've got an umberella anyway - but I still want an I-pad".
With that, he leaned over the counter, right up close, peered into my eyes and said "yes, they do look a bit bloodshot, try next door"
Well the shop next door appeared to be a chemists as well - I suppose small businesses HAVE to diversify nowadays). There was a girl behind the counter, and (in my sexist way) I thought I might have "difficulty" explaining what I wanted!
But no! As soon as I mentioned the word "I-pad", she winked and shot off upstairs.
In no time at all she was back, and sold me the I-pad which came in a large box and was already wrapped (in plain brown paper for some reason??).  It was dirt cheap! To be honest I was expecting to pay more than £12.99 for it, but I wasn't going to quibble.
Anyway, I'm home now and am unpacking it.  It must be very small, as I can't find it in the box - just the packing which seems to be packets of extremely large nappies!
What do these I-pads actually look like? (and what is incontinence? - American for a worldwide guarantee perhaps??)

Cheers
Danny

At the moment I reckon that a supply of "Pampers" may have been more appropriate. Bryan.

bbdave

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2011, 07:20:49 pm »

Bryan the "sales of goods act" states they have to supply a replacement or a full re-fund if it don't do what it says on the box.

I'm thinking of getting one at the moment but not sure how it'll differ from the laptop.
Do they have a usb port?

Dave

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »

Bryan the "sales of goods act" states they have to supply a replacement or a full re-fund if it don't do what it says on the box.

I'm thinking of getting one at the moment but not sure how it'll differ from the laptop.
Do they have a usb port?

Dave
No. But therein lies a problem. Hence my request about downloading CDs/programmes etc. from a PC to an iPad. BY.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2011, 12:20:33 am »

Possibly im wrong. But I thought that under an EU directive all electrical Goods have to have a two year
warrenty which most manufactures pretend is not correct. Can anyone confirm please? . John

The long Build

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2011, 12:45:34 am »

I thought it was only 1 year but there is something about reasonable expected life or something

Roadrunner

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2011, 01:00:06 am »

All items sold in the uk are subject to 1 year minimum manufacturer warranty.

Items that are electrical are not always subject to the 30 day money back guarantee, they usually fall in as REPLACEMENTS and REPAIRS only.

24 month warranty's are a myth on most common items, Hence why this gadget insurance rubbish is put out so much! 

BY.Your entitled to a new Ipad (new in a box not a fix on the one you have since its less then 30 days old!) not a refund by law mate, Repairs should only be issues on Items Older then 28 day's from purchase date, anything within that time frame should be REPLACEMENTS only.

Not sure? check trading standards i did  :-))

bikerdude666

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2011, 07:36:53 am »

May be wrong but I believe since the Japan quake there's a shortage of screens etc, so stocks are primarily sent out to apple shops and even they are in short supply, from his post I'd say BY is getting a new replacement but they had none in stock and were just unsure how long it will be til they can get 1 in.

Like I say probably wrong but possible, where did you buy it from BY?

TugCowboy

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2011, 09:06:17 am »

Never take it back to the shop you got it from unless its an Apple store.

Apple has a brilliant policy of every customer getting one additional "free" no questions asked, swap to cover accidental damage or out of warranty stuff. In addition if you book an appointment with them, they will also normally guarantee any fixes within a few hours.

I've never had anything but instantaneous service from Apple.

Got a brand new keyboard and screen for my Macbook even though it was a year out of warranty. Fitted within 2 hours while I had a wander round the shops.

They don't fit with my love of Open Source, but as an ease of use item I find everything Apple way above all the mainstream stuff Microsoft put out!

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2011, 10:15:40 am »

re:May be wrong but I believe since the Japan quake there's a shortage of screens etc, so stocks are primarily sent out to apple shops and even they are in short supply, from his post I'd say BY is getting a new replacement but they had none in stock and were just unsure how long it will be til they can get 1 in.

i think the delay is due to the dust inspired explosion at the foxconn factory that makes these they say it will cause no delay but there chinese businessmen and rarely tell the truth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13476800

***Edit, color change. The beige was tool light to see against grey background. Brown should be OK***
TT

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2011, 12:31:44 pm »

A lot of assumptions among the last few posts....mostly correct. Delivery delays being the main cause. Even our "local" (Metrocentre) apple store haven't got any. Secondly, I decided to get a different model rather than a refurbished one or a direct replacement (delivery for the latter would still be "iffy"). So, like everyone else, I'll just have to wait awhile. No real hardship....after all, the sale of my ship moulds paid for it in the first place! BY.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2011, 10:46:11 pm »

Just came across this bit of information, probably not relevant to current problem   O0 O0
Might have too look into it further.  %) %) %)

Bought my son an i-Pad,

my daughter an i-Pod.

The wife got me an i-Phone and I got her an i-Ron.

She wasn't overjoyed even after I explained it can be integrated with

the i-Wash,

i-Cook,

i-Clean network.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.