Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stopping Smoking  (Read 3903 times)

Roadrunner

Stopping Smoking
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:46:55 am »

I'm pretty sure most have notices my shortness recently and thinking about it, i do owe some an appoligy so I will humbly appoligise to anyone Hurt, Offended or Annoyed by my comments of late, I'm putting my mood swings down to stopping smoking since I've gone from 50 a day (yeah i chain smoke basically) to 5 a day in the past 2 weeks, I'm sure, I'm at the stage where my body's telling me one thing but my heads not listening.
Is there anyone else who's stopped smoking or stopping had mood swings like this or is it just me not coping with the change? I've been smoking now for 15 years I'm finding it hard to cut the habit its a change I'm not enjoying at present but to be honest I rather this then waking up and coughing up gunk of my lungs anymore! 

cliff2903

Re: Stopping Smoking
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:54:56 am »

best of luck to you, i find the worst thing about giving up is other peoples attitudes towards it (oh youre grumpy, have a fag and cheer up) truth is- ive always been a miserable sod but ive always had something in my mouth to keep me quiet  {-) {-)

cliff2903

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:05 am »

seriously though -- GOOD LUCK  ok2

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:13:00 am »

Hey Roadrunner....you are not JC on the cross  :embarrassed:

1. I stopped about 12 years ago after 40 years of smoking
2. the window winder in my vehicle broke >>:-( & I could not stand the smell
3. used Nicobate patces for the full 3 month recommended program
4. I can light a ciggie for my dear wife .... O0 ...but never want or need to have a second puff
5. I did not gain any weight
6. my appreciation of food did not change
7. I can go to the pub & have a few beers with work colleagues without needing a smoke.......

I would truly recommend point 3. .....use Nicobate patces for the full 3 month recommended program ......Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Roadrunner

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:27:53 am »

Im still on the step one 15mg patches & gum ( which is supposed to be mint but tastes like my 2 year old's dirty nappys!)

Reading through the panthlet in the patches box heres a list of side effects that are common to most....

Headaches (first thing in the morning)

dizziness (only when i have the first smoke of the day)

stomach discomfort ( not yet )

feeling sick (nope)

redness of the skin ( nope but i got a nice tan recently )

Irritability or aggression ( both!!)

feeling low ( can't get any worse!)

anxiety (depending on what's bugging me at the time)

restlessness ( yup i've basically stopped sleeping i get 4 hours at max right now, anyone else noticed i'm still posting at 2am?)

poor concentration ( lol gave up on the komet build for a few weeks, that count?)

increased appetite & weight gain ( im already 15st so not gonna check that might break the scales!, might be best to check when i no longer fit in 36" jeans)

urges to smoke ( constantly!)

Doing well aint I  :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:48:52 am »

40 a day to none a day overnight. Heart attack was the incentive, forget patches and gum, you've got to want to stop smoking.

Surprisingly easy, despite "Eating" them before, - ask Steve's Dad.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Roadrunner

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:12:12 am »

If i see Sonny i'll be sure to ask  :-))

Some people can just quit, both my grandparents did and it didn't take a heart attack to encourager them, i think it comes down to your mental ability to want to stop some can just do it others struggle, for me its the struggle to stop because I'm not doing other things i used to like working... (i'm on redundancy so full time house husband).

For the wife and I were spending close to £100 a week on smoking, with the tax hikes and me smoking 25g daily AT £7.20 a pop I'm spending £50 on tobacco myself, the wife's on 20 a day and she's smoking pre rolled. I popped to the bank the other day and could have sworn i had more cash then i did, in the past 2 months £1000 has just vanished from the account and the only place its gone is on smoking, that alone was one incentive to stop that we wasted £1000 to burn literally, the other is when you get up your coughing up gunk, wheezing for breath, even the 3 flights of stairs up the flat are a killer at the moment, it didn't seam as bad a few months ago before we had the dog put down i was walking and running about with the dog for 5 miles twice a day but since he's gone its become sat on my backside doing not a lot! There is also my kids to think about with the passive smoking ( although they show no signs of damaged being done, for all i know I've doomed them in some way in the future)  all these reasons  added up was the incentive to stop smoking hence my attempt, when speaking to the doctor, he did suggest that for me the best course was to reduce over time and then stop rather then a flat out quit, just like an alcoholic if you dead stop it can kill you, although he didn't say stopping smoking would kill me but he said because i smoke so much it was in my interest not to put my body under heavy stress by simply stopping as it risks higher blood pressure from stress and anxiety which could set me off for a heart attack even at my age!

I'm no doctor but what i was told made sense in my mind at 30 years of age i don't want to end up on the coroners table because i stopped smoking, makes more sense to be on it if i was smoking!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:23:03 am »

Maybe if you read one of my previous postings you might feel more convinced you are doing the right thing by giving up smoking.

Bear in mind that this was posted some time ago and since then I have had several visits by ambulance to the hospital.

I have also died twice in resus.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4693.msg49580#msg49580
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

guitar man

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:35:01 pm »

Never been a smoker so dont know what its like to stop, but good luck with it.And put all that money you will save towards that model item you always wanted

Regards Tony

Roadrunner

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 12:53:05 pm »

Never been a smoker so dont know what its like to stop, but good luck with it.And put all that money you will save towards that model item you always wanted

Regards Tony

Thanks  :-)) but im sure the wife will find something to spend it on before i will, besides i have 5 (and a 6th added for my brother) projects to finish! that gonna keep me busy for a few years, maybe i will attempt a J class or X-Craft later... or that steam launch i've always wanted!

pugwash

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »

Roadrunner best way to stop smoking - take two Nicorette patches - stick one over each eye and you wont
be able to find your fags - you also wont be able to see your keyboard and we can have a bit of quiet
for a time.

Geoff

Roadrunner

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:15:51 pm »

... now i remember why newbies are put off the forum  %%

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »

i agree with circlip giving up from 40 a day was easy. my method

have 4 heart attacks in one day, spend 6 days in a coma and 3 weeks in hospital followed by 4 weeks of not being able to get out the house.

haven't touched a fag since. not sure i would recommend this method for everybody though. mind you some politiians! no wont go there

phil

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 05:04:07 pm »

One of the hardest things in the world - giving up an addiction, best of luck mate.

I did it 5 years ago - came out of hospital after an op', lit the first one in 4 days, thought 'Urrghh, burnt cornflakes' never smoked since, the dizziness before the first smoke is the thing that  stops me starting up again, same reason I don't drink to excess.......

Mind you, when I sold my stash of duty frees I could afford a set of alloy wheels and tyres for my lad's mini so all good. Maybe you should try putting in the equivalent amount you spent on ciggies in a glass jar and see how quickly it mounts up - think of what you could buy with the money you set light to....wine, women, holidays, boat kits.

With giving up smoking there are no negatives, just positives. You feel a bit grumpy now but in the long term it will do you only good.

Stick with it mate, it'll be worth it in the end.

wibplus

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 05:58:15 pm »

I found a set of CDs which purported to relieve the stress and effort of stopping smoking.  >:-o  >:-o
I was in a foul mood one day because of not being able to move or do anything because of a gout attack. :((  :((  <:(
I got the CDs out (which I had bought months previously and never got a round tuit) and listened to them.   {:-{  {:-{
The guy talking on the CDs explains at great length (over about 5 hours) how to stop smoking.
He makes very good points as you go along such as, "you are not giving up anything you are stopping doing something which is killing you" or "why would anyone knowingly ingest great loads of poisonous chemicals"  or "would any sane person deliberately burn money for negative gain".
You can continue to smoke whilst listening and you can stop for breaks/brews etc.  O0  O0
You don't have to "learn" the lessons but you must thoroughly understand each point he makes.
By the end of the session, I had about eight cigs left from a twenty packet and I threw them away some weeks later.  :-))  :-))
That was four years ago and I was never inclined to start again. I occasionally listened again to parts of the seminar just to reinforce what he had said.  ok2  ok2

The whole process was almost completely painless.  ok2  ok2  :-)

If anyone wants to try these, please PM me.   :-))

john44

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 06:52:29 pm »

One of the hardest things in the world - giving up an addiction, best of luck mate.
I will second that remark.
I smoked for 30 years.
I went from being a 40 a day man. With the NHS 3 month stop smoking program, I used the 24hr nicotinel-patch.
They didnt help with the foul moods though that is down to you to sort.
If you realy,realy want to you will do it, dont give up hope and think 1 fag won,t hurt, it will.It will lead onto the next.
I think all the X smokers on this forum are with you on this and will support you along the way.

Dont loose hope it will be the best thing you have done for yourself and your family, and you will be able to buy more boats
 with the moneyyou will save :-))

john

HawkEye

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:46 pm »

I stopped one Sunday night about 6 months ago having just bought a packet of cigs, I had no intentions of quitting but a friend lent me a copy of a dvd -
 Allen Carr - Easyway to Stop Smoking. So I made a cup of tea, lit a fag and watched the dvd, had one or two more during the presentation and those were the last, although I did suffer some very bad side effects for about three days after going cold turkey.
Even from day one I could light a cigarette for the other half but not want to inhale, and her smoking next to me has never been a problem.
The dvd is not hypnosis, it just explains in simple terms why you need to smoke and can be found in all sorts of places on the net.  ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 10:49:44 pm »

It's great if you can muster up the strength to stop. I have never smoked myself but I watched my Dad die from lung cancer almost certainly brought on by smoking. It took nine months and was the worst year of my life. Not an ending I would wish upon anyone.

Colin

stoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:41 pm »

I stopped 7 months ago I had smoked for 27 years. I didnt use patches or any thing else just went cold turkey. It has been difficult and there are times when I could
still murder one. So well done and keep at it

Paul

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 08:59:42 am »

My motherinlaw was a heavy smoker and gave up at 55 after her husband died - smoking was a big big contributory factor. She used the patches (on prescription)  and hasn't smoked again in twenty years. She can walk further now at 75 than she could at 55, and says food tastes so much better now too. I hope you can kick the habit for good.

You could even pick a circular walk to do every day and time yourself occasionally just to see the improvement.

Norseman

thegrimreaper

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 10:00:54 am »

Gave up seven years ago over a two week period with patches which cost as much as a packet of ciggies your doing well up to now keep it up good luck do it for yourself oh yea and your wife and children they will appreciate you being around many years down the line

again good luck

Regards Mark

Roadrunner

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 10:44:56 am »

Thanks guys for your comments all encoraging... although encoraging me to go cold turky... well so far i've been up for 4 hours and no smoke yet... but boy am i gagging for one!!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 11:09:17 am »

Try the nicorette inhalator.

You can still have a puff only on a plastic tube

I have tried and failed on several occasions to quit smoking, but I have been doing well on the inhalator.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 11:23:02 am »

Last cig was 6.20 PM on Tuesday August 18th 2002 after 40 years, thinking "One way or another, this could be my last cig", and yes Stoney, even after 9 years I still get the urge now and again but won't.  :-))

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 11:29:07 am »

My final parting with tobacco happened with a bad cold.  My usual trick with a cold was to switch to menthol - when I could sense that they tasted 'orrible, I knew that the cold was on its way out.  This time I spent the ciggy money on fruit.  It worked for me, but the big thing is wanting to stop.  I just wish my late wife had been able to stop - she might not have had the fatal heart attack.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.