Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gog Eye Principle  (Read 7112 times)

Roadrunner

Gog Eye Principle
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:46:49 am »

I've been contemplating the use of a gog eye with my tug over a working winch.

If i was to animated a winch or so called have a winch effect i was going to look into high geared motors say 50:1 or bigger, the winch would be a static item on the deck but i would rig up a sleeve for line to go through the winch so it looks the part, i could make a fully working winch but i do like the white metal one provided in the kit and don't fancy making a double winch up if i don't have to.

It was suggested by a club member that it might be better to use a gog eye ( which is a line fitted to a fixed position on the tow line and pulled in the keep the line under tension rather then use it as a winch to pull with)

Before I invest in servo winches or geared motors and added time to building things, what's the pro's and con's of each system?

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
Re: Gog Eye Principle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:20:31 am »

I've been contemplating the use of a gog eye with my tug over a working winch.

It was suggested by a club member that it might be better to use a gog eye ( which is a line fitted to a fixed position on the tow line and pulled in the keep the line under tension rather then use it as a winch to pull with)

A Gog eye is actually fixed to the deck, in the shape of an eye, (kind of a flattened circle), or in the case of the older tugs, Bits , that were attached to the deck on the stern of the tug. On the tugs that I worked on a tow rope would be let down from the ship and attached to the hook of the tug, we would then use a large diameter rope ( that we called a Kant rope)that would be wound around the capstan throughy the Gog eye and then attached to the tow rope by means of a very large shackle. the tow line would then be pulled down toward the deck by the capstan so that the centre of gravity would  be through the bits (gog eye) and above the prop. It was a lot easier to do than explain. A friend I knew back then was killed when the bit,s were pulled completely out of the deck and sadly actually decapitaed him him. Those days the Tugs were old Empire class and were basically falling to pieces.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

david j

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:44:35 am »

hi, is it possible to see a picture of a gogeye as i have tried to find some but no luck

thanks in hope some one can help

davidj

Roadrunner

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:02:39 pm »

This is all good information and i would also like to see some photos if possible i was under the assumption that a gog eye was a means of pulling in the line to keep it taught when the line slackens off which aids the tow instead of letting it float off under little control.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:06:38 pm »

Sorry lad,s
I have no photo,s. If you go to the MMM site and check their fittings list, you will find Gog Irons, wich is exactly the same thing.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »

Hi Roadrunner.  Two or three photo's of the gog setup I have, The first photo is a working gog on the portgarth, also working main winch.  Second is of Eldergarth gog rope through gog eye/iron, also working main winch. Third is gog on Ormesby Cross, also showing you can make a dummy winch run by looping the rope over the drum having your winch motor in side the hull. Hope this is some help to you. :-))

John

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 09:59:47 am »

This is my gog rope setup and a real gog rope in action.      Cheers Geoff.

Roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 11:08:29 am »

Cracking photos  :-))

Can i ask what motor you use for the winch? is if a 540 mfa geared at 50:1 or higher and do you use micro switches or an esc to control it?

Im serisly aiming for a working winch, lot more work but i think it will do the job better, am i right in thinking that a simple U shape (unside down though ) fitted through ther rear of the deck is also classified a gog eye, or do they have have a diffrent name and purpose to just keep the line from being pulled over the side of the tug?

david j

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 01:40:10 pm »

hi, thanks for showing pictures, so simple when you see it for real :-)) :-)) sort out my seaforth conqueror now

davidj
[

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 06:01:20 pm »

Hi Roadrunner  ,For my main winch  I use the top half of a electric screwdriver,   The gog iron is on the deck, the gog rope runs through the gog iron then shackeld to the towing rope/line, in our case run the line through a ring has seen in the photo's, hope this is some help.

John

Roadrunner

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 10:00:56 pm »

Ok after careful concentration over creating a working winch ( which is not beyond my ability's) i have decided against animation one, as I think in the long run its a lot of work to keep it running and repaired, something i hate doing is repair work its also subject to a lot of punishment given the barge to be pulled it 150lb of dead weight & has the ability for extra drag, last thing i want is all that to hang of the winch under tow.

So I have devised a solution which gives the same effect of the winch working but in a static manner, take a look and give me some feed back on it, all ideas or additions for improvements are welcome. (I know it won't look the part close up, but I think it will do the job, which is what i'm going for, I can live with a non realistic part, which is out of site being surrounded by all the other deck items)

farrow

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 06:02:58 pm »

The gog/kant or dog rope depending on where you worked, was a means to stop the tug being girted and capsizing, it was fitted when working of the hook and the tug was likely required to alteer her angle of tow to direction over a large angle such as in close quarter dock work. As it kept the sideways pulling point aft away from midships, it could be risky job for the deckhands to control, especially if using ships mooring ropes to tow on which could break.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.