Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baroda  (Read 9308 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Baroda
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 04:45:41 pm »

Excellent model Bryan - just my type of ship. I much prefer the traditional subjects. As said in an earlier post, she could almost be the real thing.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 07:57:56 pm »

Thanks for that, I was in Jardine Matheson at the time and remember someone saying that the crowd on whichever one it was did similar ex pat tours like us - 3 years when I first joined reduced to 2 years shortly after - sounds like a long time now but 2 years in the Far East when you were young, single and shall we say frisky ! passed in no time  ;D ;D

MikeK
I nearly joined Jardines after serving my time with the Ben Line. Watch this space. Another model coming up soon is a China Steam Nav. boat.  Bryan.
PS  Ever read "Noble House"? I'm sure it was all about the shipping co's rivalry!

China Nav was the competition, but I always thought at the time that they had the better runs. Yes I read Noble House and thought the same. There was also a book titled 'Foreign Mud' (I think) which detailed the rise and rise of Messrs Jardine and Matheson and the opium trade. We were running up to Shanghai during the Red Guard shindig and they used to give us special attention to make sure we knew Jardines was nothing in Mao's new world. Now that WAS a fun time to be in the far east - not !!
MikeK

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 07:31:46 pm »

Hi All

Well - I have just come back from Harrogate and seen the model in the flesh and I really dont think the photographs do it justice.

There's some nice detail on her when you get a 'close up' look.

I hope some of you can get to the Harrogate Show (tomorrow - Sunday the 13 May) the last day of the show - and see for yourselves.

Aye
John E
Bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007, 10:15:05 pm »

Also saw this at Harrogate.
It would have had my vote for 'Best in show' although that lifeboat was fantastic as well.

"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 05:02:06 pm »

Also saw this at Harrogate.
It would have had my vote for 'Best in show' although that lifeboat was fantastic as well.

Thanks for the kind comments. Agree on the lifeboat. I am very confused re. the method of judging though. (No sour grapes...honestly!), but I fail to understand why no 2nd place was awarded, and Bismarck got a 3rd. I also cannot understand why Baroda was not judged when details of her building were all available to the judges.
Apparently, one of the judges is reliably quoted as saying that "we don't have time to look at the paperwork". Kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing to my mind. Still and all, at least some of you have seen the model and liked it, and that means more to me than you can know. Thanks again. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 05:21:23 pm »

She looks superb Bryan

Bob
Officially a GOG.

japottinger

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 05:17:07 pm »

Wondefully realistic Bryan, glad to see any model built to my plans, something tells me you scaled the drawings up somewhat!

Well done.
Jim

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 05:27:48 pm »

On the sorry demise of the Baroda, see www.merchantnavyofficers.com/bomEx.html

japottinger

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 07:12:31 pm »

Hello Bryan,

can I use a photo of your Baroda to include in Model Shipwright magazine please?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 06:18:46 pm »

Hello Bryan,

can I use a photo of your Baroda to include in Model Shipwright magazine please?
Feel free to use whatever you want. Cheers.BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.