Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shunbo sailboats (Phantom, Ocean Racer, Monsoon, Legend & Surmount) site..  (Read 8461 times)

Nemo

This site is dedicated to the boats listed above. although they are mostly bought through Hobby King they are also available elsewhere. 

It was started to take all the uncertainty out of whether to buy these cheap, chinese budget boats and if you did, what might be the pros *& cons? 
Clearly  a very open, honest and sincere source of reliable info but doesn't make out like it's dealing with anything else but cheap, chinese made rc sailboats.
It's aimed simply at those of us who wish to get into the hobby but with limited funds, or who just want to "test the water", so to speak.

The guys who operate it have also compiled a series of excellent ebooks that are packed with real, first hand information, including a goldmine of prebuy info for those just "looking".
Also interesting to a degree to those already into higher level boats but are just interested as to why so many buy these cheapies, and what do they have to do to them?

The forum itself is very active with over 500 visits per week, on average, and with a worldwide membership contributing daily on all the relevant topics.
A number of earlier participants have actually gone up and invested into the quality Class boats after learning what was needed at the starting level.
The forum doesn't require membership (free, as you would expect) to read all the content but does if you wish to participate.

Have a look.. the average visit time is 6 minutes.. Give it at least 10.. O0

Nemo

This site is dedicated to the boats listed above. although they are mostly bought through Hobby King they are also available elsewhere. 

It was started to take all the uncertainty out of whether to buy these cheap, chinese budget boats and if you did, what might be the pros *& cons? 
Clearly  a very open, honest and sincere source of reliable info but doesn't make out like it's dealing with anything else but cheap, chinese made rc sailboats.
It's aimed simply at those of us who wish to get into the hobby but with limited funds, or who just want to "test the water", so to speak.
Also available is a series of excellent ebooks that are packed with real, first hand information, including a goldmine of prebuy info for those just "looking".
Also interesting to a degree to those already into higher level boats but are just interested as to why so many buy these cheapies, and what do they have to do to them?

The forum itself is very active with over 500 visits per week, on average, and with a worldwide membership contributing daily on all the relevant topics.
A number of earlier participants have actually gone up and invested into the quality Class boats after learning what was needed at the starting level.
The forum doesn't require membership (free, as you would expect) to read all the content but does if you wish to participate.

Have a look.. the current average visit time is 6 minutes.. Give it at least 10.. O0     We'd like to see you!

http://www.shipshaperc.com

Roadrunner

Have a look.. the average visit time is 6 minutes.. Give it at least 10.. O0

Might be a reason for that as in 6 minutes most have worked out that its just a sales pitch to buy a book on how to re-rig a cheap yacht, (which i did in 45 mins and really that's all you can do to them without spending silly cash on keel bulbs and new sails, better servo winches etc which if you start spending you may as well buy a decent yacht!) to work better, the problem you face with them is, there cheap and there poor copy's ( not very good ones at that) of yachts which are supposed to be a 'entry level' starter for anyone looking to get into it, the issues faces now that so many good yacht kits ( which sail far better out of the box) are now in the competition over price.

~Mine sails fine after re-rigging it, in fact there a post on here over the monsoon on how it was re-rigged and that's what i followed, no problems since and she keeps up with the IOM and fairwind classes, and didn't have to pay for that advice.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

I tend to agree with Roadrunner.

I had a Monsoon and would not recommend it for a novice, as it needs sorting at the build stage. This is without even thinking about modifying it. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14796.0
I would recommend replacing all the radio gear, as a basic.

If you start replacing the whole rig, mast, sails. You may find it is cheaper to buy a descent boat that complies with a racing class.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Roadrunner

ahh it was your's i followed  :-))

Nordsee

Re: Shunbo sailboats (Phantom, Ocean Racer, Monsoon, Legend & Surmount) site..
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 04:07:06 pm »

If the boys like to improve a basic Hull, why not?? After all, lots of people spend 150 pounds on a 50cm long Micro Magic, which then needs a further 100 pounds spent to make it Competitive, I believe that Graupner introduced the Magic as a reasonable priced entry for Juniors to start Racing. Then along come all the Fat Wallets and Win at any Cost Brigade and that idea was History!! A bit like Formula Ford in the early '70s. As soon as you make a Competition, then it will boil down to who has the most money, Sailing Talent will never counteract that, ever...

Dekan

Re: Shunbo sailboats (Phantom, Ocean Racer, Monsoon, Legend & Surmount) site..
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 10:55:03 pm »

If the boys like to improve a basic Hull, why not?? After all, lots of people spend 150 pounds on a 50cm long Micro Magic, which then needs a further 100 pounds spent to make it Competitive, I believe that Graupner introduced the Magic as a reasonable priced entry for Juniors to start Racing. Then along come all the Fat Wallets and Win at any Cost Brigade and that idea was History!! A bit like Formula Ford in the early '70s. As soon as you make a Competition, then it will boil down to who has the most money, Sailing Talent will never counteract that, ever...

The problem is caused by the people who frame the rules...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.