Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 of june  (Read 2420 times)

regiment

6 of june
« on: June 06, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »

TODAY IS THE 6 OF JUNE WHY NO CELIBRATIONS  OR ARE THE MEMBERS TO YOUNG TO REMEMBER

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 6 of june
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:08:10 pm »

I am proud at this very moment,to have a veteran of D Day sat next to me.He served as a leading stoker on board HMS RAMILLIES,which was bombarding the Normandy coast 67 years ago today. Like many of the crew aboard,he was a mere lad of just eighteen,and became a man on that day.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:14:58 pm »

I hadn't forgotten Gordon.

My Dad missed D Day, he was already in France serving with the SAS behind the German lines.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »

in 2 or 3 days time it will be 67 years since my Fathers Father had the boat he was on sunk beneath him off the beaches of Normandy , he managed to pull 3 men onto a raft and was mentioned in dispatches. That was the 3rd ship he had been on that had been sunk by the Germans , first was in the North Atlantic on a convoy , second was up in the Barents Sea during one of the convoys to Russia.

My other Grandfather served in minesweepers but was part of the fleet that pulled men off the beaches at Dunkirk ( something we didn't even know about until after he had passed away and we dug into his war record ) during his time at Harwick

For the lives of the men who were lost on that day and throughout that entire war I give thanks , for without their sacrifice we would not have the freedom and lives we now have , we could still be under the jackboot of the Nazi's
Davie Tait,
Scotland

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:36:29 pm »

TODAY IS THE 6 OF JUNE WHY NO CELIBRATIONS  OR ARE THE MEMBERS TO YOUNG TO REMEMBER

Negative,
Our wonderful State Pollies have decreed that 6th June, AKA D-Day, is Queensland day.
No prizes for what the local press reports  >>:-( >>:-( <:( <:(

Roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:38:17 pm »

Not to sound rude but surely a day of remembrance such as the D-Day Landings shouldn't be treated as a'' Celebration'', it really should be honored to the memory's of those who lost there lives serving to protect there countries from the reign of the German political party in power at the time.

I would rather not ''celebrate'' 5558 brave 'men' who lost there lives that day and a further 5000 who ended as POW's or casualty's , but honour them and thank them for giving there lives so we can live the way we do today.

To put a bit of perspective on things..

Military dead:
Over 16,000,000
Civilian dead:
Over 45,000,000
Total dead:
Over 61,000,000 (1937–45)

Not worth 'Celebrating' worth remebering, I too have family who served that day, (one alive and in his 90's)  and from the stories told by them sometimes you wish you could forget.  <:(  

craftysod

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:25:23 pm »

In respect of the day,I pay my condolences to the men and women on rememberance sunday each year.
Yes D,day ,battle of britain over the air,I pay tribute to all,who lost there lives,or survived,and their families.
But there are many battles which are not recognized.
Sorry if i have offended you Gorden,you have my upmost respect,as a former serving serviceman
Mark

regiment

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:36:01 am »

celibrate might have been the wrong word BUT how many people know what the 6 of june was all about i lost two mates one in aden one i n   oman and not a day gose by with out  thinking of them

regiment

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:40:58 am »

hello dicky d did you see the program about the sas behind  german lines  on free view  a few days ago

chingdevil

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:59:30 am »

I remember all men and women who have given and continue to give their lives in the protection of our freedom in November.

Brian

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 09:04:50 am »

hello dicky d did you see the program about the sas behind  german lines  on free view  a few days ago
I did Gordon

My Dad was in Africa first, he then went to the Greek Islands as part of the Special Boat Squadron which was part of the SAS before the Marines took it over.

From there he was in Italy and then France. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 12:35:00 am »

I was out celebrating , it was my wedding aniversary 24 years and she still loves me , well most of me  %).
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

wartsilaone

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 02:16:43 am »

If we remembered every operation of the first and second world wars there would be something every day of the year nearly, not to mention other things like Trafalgar day. Doesn't Remembrance Sunday cover all that. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.