Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:144 SCALE DECALS WANTED  (Read 3272 times)

hopeitfloats

1:144 SCALE DECALS WANTED
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:53:41 am »

general signage and warnings. would someone out there know where to get some please. have tried BECC but they dont do in this scale. checked out MBM sponsors sites too and nothing there and a quick search through MBM posts. nothing.  do you think it may be  because they would be too small in this scale.

hopeitfloats

Re: 1:144 SCALE DECALS WANTED
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:52 pm »

to add to this i realise that 'fire extinguisher' type would be too small to print/read but its the signs which would be larger,  'beware of operating cranes' and that type of signage i am looking for

Rex Hunt

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:21:27 pm »

Make your own.....too easy!
Scan 1/72 scale or as available.
Adjust scale to suit
Print using a laser printer on laser decal paper (white or clear as appriopriate),remembering that you can't print white.
cut out and apply in the normal waterslide manner.

Rex

Roadrunner

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:23:42 pm »

There are methods to make your own at little cost, all you need is the internet and a printer!

Find what your looking for, photo/sign wise, use a program called Gimp2 http://www.gimp.org/( its like photo shop but free! ) and 're-size them' ( gimp allows you to re-size anything with no distortion of the image) and print out, its going to take a few attempts with the scale right but once done cut out and use some 'glue' (pva is good but you can use pritstick) glue them in the desired spot once dry give it a coat of lacquer or varnish, this keeps the image clear and now water proof!

Its always worth doing a few 'tests' when using glues and varnishes with printed items to make sure the inks not going to run, maybe even lacquer them lightly with mist coats off the boat and glue on after its dry.

It will be more work on your side then anything else but it will be wayyyyyy cheaper then buying some if they exist, how many 1:144 signs can you fit on a A4 sheet, and how much did that cost 20p? + the clear coat!  

wartsilaone

hopeitfloats

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:55:29 am »

satisfaction at last. found a programme called photoscape (as a bonus it was a free site) beats paying $210 for photoshop. very simple to use and tested results on copy paper. perfect....as good as  bought ones . have just ordered some waterslide decal paper and i will be another step closer to finishing my model. :-) :-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 12:38:43 pm »

Have you a link to photoscape please ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

hopeitfloats

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:03:05 pm »

www.photoscape.org/  its  basic stuff but if i can use it anyone can

craig

hopeitfloats

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:04:54 am »

did anyone use the photoscape site and if so what did you think of it.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:25 am »

Irfan does a pretty good job, too. 
On most PC magazine DVDs, also free from
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Depending on the inks that the printer uses, there may be some fading with time.  Also, with clear sheet, they only work on a white background with pale colours, leaving the problems of either setting the background colour to match the surroundings on the model, or painting up to the decal image.  I've just had a go with some vinyl sticky back stuff in a colour laser, using white background.  It seems to work well and is supposed to be intrinsically waterproof, with the provisos that the edges should be sealed and odd shaped small items are an absolute swine to cut for with anybody with my combination of eyesight, finger size and patience level.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.