Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Afghanistan, BBC 3, last night  (Read 2058 times)

petermun

Afghanistan, BBC 3, last night
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:55:06 pm »

I hope the politicians watched this item last night, then they will know what soldiering is really all about, and what they have got our men and women  into.   Pete

FsASTSyd1

Re: Afghanistan, BBC 3, last night
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:47:54 am »

As an ex serviceman with close to 40 years in the forces, the term politician brings to mind the old  P.up and brewery to mind.

Syd

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:51:39 pm »

The Americans thought they could beat the Viet Cong despite the failure of the French a few years earlier. The Russians went into Afghanistan despite the record of three unwon Anglo-Afghan Wars. Then  Bush and Blair dragged us into two more unwinnable wars.

One has to conclude that politicians are too wrapped up in writing history to read it and learn from it. I've just read Bob Marshall-Andrews' new book - interesting but also self-righteous and self-serving. Not sure what else I might have expected.

I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 06:01:40 pm »

One has to conclude that politicians are too wrapped up in writing history to read it and learn from it.

A lot of these wars are the result of building a huge military/industrial complex during the Cold War. What that stopped, a very large industry was left looking for a new role. You may think that it's very lucky that a lot of small countries suddenly needed a war....

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »

If we introduced a rule that all Politicians had to do some frontline service. How many would we have left?
John.

Roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 06:31:41 pm »

If we introduced a rule that all Politicians had to do some frontline service. How many would we have left?
John.

All of em no doubt. They will play the cards of H&S or human right violations, most likely though they will try to be signed off with ''stress'' and given desk jobs.

But i expect most won't make it past the physical not being able to take there heads outta there own asses. %%

richtea

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 06:52:32 pm »

If all politicians or there families had to do a stint on the front line you could bet your bottom dollar that
ALL the armed services would have the BEST kit and grub available.  >:-o

Patternmaker

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 06:56:28 pm »

Another War that will never be won, the sooner the politicians realise this and pull our troops out the better, how many more repatriations are we going to see at Wootton Bassett.

I was a Para in the Suez War 1956, another example of political disaster.

Nordsee

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 04:16:51 pm »

Another War that will never be won, the sooner the politicians realise this and pull our troops out the better, how many more repatriations are we going to see at Wootton Bassett.

I was a Para in the Suez War 1956, another example of political disaster.

So was I, then did a term in Aden, now that was a C- - k-up!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.