Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rust  (Read 2583 times)

The long Build

Rust
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:05:22 pm »

Just curious if this will rust quickly or not.

We have had some hollow weights made for us which on their own weighed 7.3lbs I have now added sand to this and then soaked the sand in water which now takes the overall weight to just under 1 stone. This container is sealed by a very thick bolt and washer, as there is very little air inside and no way extra air can get in will it still rust ?.

Larry R.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rust
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:07:43 pm »

In the winter the water will freeze, force the weights apart, rupture your hull and sink the boat!  :}

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:23:02 pm »

In the winter the water will freeze, force the weights apart, rupture your hull and sink the boat!  :}

Colin

<:( <:( <:(   :} :} They would if they were for my boat.. Should have said that they are to be used only to hold down bouys in the local lake when SWMBO runs the club outdoor training session , But still good point.. Must store them inside in wintertime.  Was going to use lead but did not fancy trying to poor molten lead through a 1 cm hole.. As it is to dry the sand to make it pourable I baked it in the oven.. :} :} using the Christmas turkey baking tray..  8) 8)

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:30:31 pm »

as oposed to filling the void area with wet sand , why not fill with concrete ?

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:40:25 pm »

This container is sealed by a very thick bolt and washer, as there is very little air inside and no way extra air can get in will it still rust ?.

Interesting discussion about corrosion in a sealed environment here: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=174768&page=26

Why did you put water in the sand? A natural oil might have been better - or concrete as stated below. In fact, fence-post concrete would have been ideal, as it is designed to be poured into the holes as powder and then water is poured in afterwards....

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:35:44 pm »

I had not thought about concrete, I chose the playsand as after a little test I found that the same volume,compacted was heavier than normal sand, I put water in to fill the void within the sand and just to add further weight.. Would the oil be absorbed as well as water ?.

Currently we use 3 engineering bricks per buoy which actually works very well, these new weights have been made which would be easier to transport, not as rough on the kayak.

Looking at the link from DG I get the general impression that the rusting process will be greatly reduced as long as fresh oxygen is not added.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:23 pm »

Just a thought.
If it is just for weighting down objects, why not us the 'gangsters' favoured method, concrete.
Just make any suitable shaped mould, pour in the bag mix, incorporate a non corrosive lifting hook/ring.
Don't put any steel in theconcrete 'block', as the steel will eventually rust and the resulting expansive presure will 'blow' the black apart

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 07:04:13 am »

Would the oil be absorbed as well as water ?.

Oil would behave just like water in this application. It would be slightly lighter, but I don't think that would be noticeable.  My only concern was that leaks might be bad for a pond, so I thought a natural oil like sunflower might be more biodegradable.

But all of this seems a little complex compared to RaaArtyGunner's simple and cheap approach...

john44

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:08:46 pm »

Just a thought,

why dont you use 5ltr containers filled with water at the lake to sink them and tie the bouy string to he handle.
When finished with empty the water back into the lake. Light to carry and water resistant.

john

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 12:44:04 pm »

You'd need to bring your own heavy water to do that, John!  {-)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 12:57:46 pm »

Just a thought,

why dont you use 5ltr containers filled with water at the lake to sink them and tie the bouy string to he handle.
When finished with empty the water back into the lake. Light to carry and water resistant.

john

Will they just not Float ?.

But all of this seems a little complex compared to RaaArtyGunner's simple and cheap approach...

True, But these have been made for us so we might as well use them.  2 out of the 4 are now fully functional with ballast inserted..

Also we have to take into account that some of the people who will be putting these out are new to support cover in a Kayak and not used to hauling things out of the water as I am.. :}

john44

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 07:40:43 pm »

You'd need to bring your own heavy water to do that, John!  {-)

Andy
Hi Andy
I never thought of that I,ll ask the lads to bring some back from the Loch Ness trip.  %% %% {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.