Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US ARMY WWII tug model plans  (Read 10973 times)

tomand08

US ARMY WWII tug model plans
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:43:44 am »

Hello

I am new to model ship building.  And I would like to be an  US ARMY WWII tug model.   

I always liked tug boats and now I would like to build one.  But not a kit.

What I would like to know is where I can purchase a set of plans.

Thank for any information.

tomand08

mikearace

Re: US ARMY WWII tug model plans
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:28:09 am »

There is is a Marine Modelling Plan of a Lend Lease Tug based at Sunderland, similar to Caldercraft Ryhope

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mar2077.html

Although not strictly a US Army Tug they were the same build as US Army Tugs and everything was virtually identical as you can see from the pic of the Dumas version of the Army Tug

http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1019

Well thats my perception anyhow but someone may be a lot more in the know that I am so I stand to be corrected if Im wrong.

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:42:35 am »

PM sent..

mmolkenthin

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:10:59 pm »

Hi folks!

Could it be a kit?

http://www.schiffsmodelle-shop.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=22250&osCsid=8a7535e222f23249a42e2af0ce6178c2

It is from Dumas-Boats, the "Army Tug 74 ST" in 1/48

Sorry, I have better read all the postings, mikearace wrote it in his posting.

Happy modelling
Michael

ZZ56

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:43:41 pm »

Taubman's have plan sheets for both the 74' and 85' Army ST tugs.

http://www.taubmansonline.com/LHD74STCLASSTUG.htm

http://www.taubmansonline.com/LHD85STPLAN.htm

Please note that the site photos provided with the plans may be off wildly.   %)  They show the modern RCN 'Glen' class tug on the plan listing for the WW II vintage one. 

Ricky

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 12:29:17 pm »

Re : US Army Tug - ST 85

This reference = Service Tug, length 85 feet.
I was surprised to find that I had already built (stuck together) two models based on the above subject.
1. Lindberg's "Despatch Number 9" at 82 scale.
2. Revell's "Lucky Eleven" at 108 scale. (cost about £15)
   Both of these kits are still selling well at this date.
When in America, I bought two Generic Fibreglass hulls matching these plastic kits.[9" and 13"]
I also contacted the US Army Transport people and obtained plans of their Army Tug (ST85)
   Next step was to check the veracity(?) of my Kits, Hulls and Plans.
Only the Plans were slightly oversized, but the rest compared well regarding length and width.
   I now had my 3D basis for a RYHOPE tugboat, at 1/24 scale or 1/32 scale.
Deadline "Haydock Tug Boat day" this summer...............

Ricky

Ricky

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 06:00:57 pm »

Hi again Y'ALL,

Further to my recent E-Mail above - I have found another supplier of thiis ubiquitous (Oooooh!) model Tug Boat Kit

But - whereas the Lindberg Model Kit is Plastic and runs out at about £20 -
this newly found Kit has a  pre-carved solid wooden hull. and runs out at about $200 (although I have seen offers at $100.

Herewith is a description of the Tug Boat with some history included.

Mr. Admiinistrator - this description maybe superfluous to the Forum - in which case it should be removed. Otherwise "Waggons Roll"

“DESPATCH No. 9” - DIESEL HARBOUR TUG

by Model Shipways - Solid Hull Kit
The Diesel harbour tug “Despatch #9”  was built for the Marine Corps in 1945 at Tampa, Florida from a US Army design. Later sold to Standard Oil of California, she worked oil barges in the San Francisco Bay area. Powered by a Busch-Sulzer 6-cylinder engine, she was equipped with practically every modern device of the time, including electric capstan, electric towing machine and watertight doors. “Despatch #9” was 85 feet. long with a 23 foot. beam.

Model Shipways “Despatch #9”  kit features a pre-shaped, machine carved solid wood hull, shaped deck house and superstructure. Other wooden parts include dowels, strips, sheets and blocks. Brass wire and airports, plus over 80 cast Britannia metal fittings.

Clear plans and newly written instructions by Ben Lankford make building easy. (Wooden display base and brass pedestals are not included.)

Model Shipways Kit No. MS2011

Length 13-1/2" / Height 7-1/2" / Scale 5/32" = 1 ft.

Difficulty Rating: Entry Level

History of the “Despatch #9”
The original model plans and kit of the “Despatch #.9” were developed in 1949 by John Shedd, the original owner of Model Shipways in Bogota, New Jersey. These early plans and the kit have been updated with more detail and reissued by Model Shipways, Inc. and sold by Model Expo, a division of Model Shipways. New instructions are provided along with a more complete set of supplies for building the model. The fittings are now cast from lead-free Britannia metal and laser-cut wood parts have been added.

The Despatch was constructed from an Army design; “ST 85 Motor Tug” ( designated Army ST (small tug) 85'). The original design plans for the tug are in the Army Transportation Museum in Fort Eustis, VA. The Museum also has a model of the Army tug on display. There are some differences between the Army tug design and the “Despatch”, [changes required by the owner no doubt.] Primarily, the “Despatch” has a different towing winch and capstan, and some minor differences in the deck house compartments. The Army version also had railings on the pilot house top and two machine guns, and there was a lifeboat carried on the upper deck.

To incorporate the differences between the Army version and “Despatch”, John Shedd obviously had access to plans and information specific to “Despatch”. Unfortunately, none of the original information could be found. There are two other known tugs built from the Army design. The “Messenger”  built in 1944 in New Orleans as an Army tug, but in 1946 was acquired by the Coast Guard. Likewise,  “Angels Gate” started out as an Army tug, but soon became a commercial tug in California. What is nice about the “Angels Gate” is the fact that it is still around. The tug has been restored and is a floating exhibit at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum. The tug is as built by the Army, except the machine guns have been removed. There are a number of photos of the tug on the Museums web site.
Description   Size(MB)
 MS2011-Despatch-Instruction_Manual-Complete.pdf

•   
•   Disqus
o   LoginAbout Disqus

Tim B.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 04:30:08 pm »

Hello from USA, San Fransisco Bay Area, we have several WW2 Army/Navy Tugs here.

Some people buy the Billings USS Hoga kit and then buy a glass fiber hull for the boat from Microglass in New York.

The glass hull is Exactly the same size as the wood hull in the Billings kit, together a Fine WW2 Woban Class Tug can be made with relative ease.

There are Copious pictures of this type to refer to for your convenience.

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:42:56 am »

there was a plan in defunct magazine , for a 85 ft WW2 service tug , even shows the machine gun positions , same hull could be built out of balsa/f/glass in 1/32-1/24 scale
if i had a postal address , i could post ??
regards bill

Ian Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 09:26:01 pm »

{:-{
I'm not sure what is going on here?

I didn't make this posting, it looks like someone has possibly nicked my name, piccie and location!

I am certainly not new to model boating, 30 years of scratch built 1900's era warships, and no offence to the great,skilled tug lads, have no interest in modelling tugs.

Can someone techy find out what the problem is and HELP please !!

Regards

Ian Kennedy

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:13 pm »

Hello

I am new to model ship building.  And I would like to be an  US ARMY WWII tug model.   

I always liked tug boats and now I would like to build one.  But not a kit.

What I would like to know is where I can purchase a set of plans.

Thank for any information.

tomand08

I'm reckoning that it's a system glitch, and the original post was originally placed by someone using the 'signature' at the end -  tomand08, although I didn't see this name in the members list.

The post was originally placed before the first 2012 meltdown, and it has been already been mentioned elsewhere, that all pre-meltdown contributors appear as 'Guest', except in this case where the originating post is showing as a 'live' registered user.

However, as your profile shows your registration date as March 19th 2012, the only other explanation I can think of (other than a glitch) is that you travel around in a large blue Police Box and carry a Sonic Screw-driver...

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 10:05:20 pm »

Passed to ADMIN

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Ian Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 10:14:52 pm »

Thanks chaps,

I wish I had the ability to time travel, some times i need to be in two places at once!

Regards

Ian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »

... not sure what going on there?!   {:-{

Account deleted and recreated.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.