Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Fast and dirty Seaport conversion  (Read 21920 times)

HawkEye

A Fast and dirty Seaport conversion
« on: June 09, 2011, 08:39:57 pm »

Well perhaps not fast but a work in progress !.
I won't bother with the stripdown as there's plenty on the forum about that,basically everything was removed and the ballast tank inlets sealed.
Paint from halfords, red primer, satin black and yellow primer/filler for the wheelhouse etc. .

Tank lid adapted to take a 6v sla,rudder extended as per recommendations from other members.

I had some issues with the rudder / Kort assembly,the top of the shaft departed from the rest of it,this I repaired using the original propshaft cut and glued into position ( photo )

A 5** size motor mount and rudder servo plate fabricated from 3mm plasticard ( will it last ?)

Propshaft replaced with a stainless one from MMB and cut to size ( can you spot the mistakes in these photo's ? >>:-( ),45mm brass prop fitted.
First leak test -

Completed internal mods and mistakes rectified  :-)) ready for the deck to be attacked next.

More to follow in a week or two.

HawkEye

Capt Podge

Re: A Fast and dirty Seaport conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:24:58 pm »

Nice and neat running gear layout.  :-))

Looking forward to the rest of your conversion - might even inspire me to dig my seaport tug out of it's temporary stowage (now where did I hide all those bits....)  >>:-(

Regards,

Ray.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:36:15 pm »

Excellent!   :-))

How did you seal up the ballast tank ports?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

HawkEye

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »

Excellent!   :-))

How did you seal up the ballast tank ports?

Hi Martin, I used the same method of sealing the tank ports that's mentioned on the forum somewhere, much rubbing with 1200 wet and dry on both sides, then two strips of plasticard glued inside the hull over the ports plus a good overlap. When dry turn hull over and apply 5min. epoxy from the outside, nice and smooth to save on the rubbing down afterwards. O0
It's the pretty bits above deck that I'll be in trouble with, as my painting skills and eyesight ( even with binoculars ) are non too good these days. {-)

HawkEye

HawkEye

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 10:05:41 pm »

Not quite a week or two but as her indoors was away with family today I managed to get a bit more done.

Well let me first say I wasn't intending to do too much to this little tug but I'm enjoying this project so much that it seems to be taking over.
It's probably that fact that it really doesn't matter what the end result is like and that I have 3 spare tugs in their boxes should anything break beyond repair. :}
Anyway some more photo's that may inspire you to have a go ( or not ), they're self explanatory I think so I won't add descriptions. I'm at a loss regarding what to do with the front area where the original stairs were at the moment, all suggestions wellcome.

Note to self: Do not touch finished surfaces with white spirit on your hands. >>:-(

HawkEye

HawkEye

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:38:36 pm »

A little bit more achieved today ( between rain storms )

Access hatch enlarged and some clutter added ( Macs Mouldings )

Exhausts cut to a reasonable length.

A small amount of detailing done to the wheelhouse.

3mm yellow led's fitted to side lights and white led's to wheelhouse ceiling ( not shown ).

Started to "dirty" everything.

Stay tuned for the next exciting installment.

HawkEye

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »

Love  the  detailing...  Very nice.
If it ain't broke it ain't mine

HawkEye

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:27:55 pm »

Love  the  detailing...  Very nice.

Thank you for the kind comment, it's normally the bit that I muck up ! {-)

HawkEye

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »

A 5** size motor mount and rudder servo plate fabricated from 3mm plasticard ( will it last ?)

HawkEye

Hi Hawkeye,

Congrats on a very nice conversion!

As you may (or may not) have read in my topic, I've also made a motormount out of 3 mm ABS, and it does last!

The 545 motor I installed allows for a very long runtime, so I was a bit worried about overheating (I nearly fried the 400 size stock motor on the maiden trip), so I installed a small 6V computerfan over the motor, blowing air over it, wired parallel to the motor, more rpm equals more cooling.
Running the boat for hours continuously even in hot weather didn't bother the motor at all.

If your motor tends to run hot, adding a small fan would be an option.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

HawkEye

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 09:56:46 pm »

Hi pompebled,
I had read your post ( just checked ) but I missed the bit about the plasticard mount - thank you for the tip  :-)) , at the moment it's only been around the garden pond ( much to the annoyance of the fish ) but I should be doing further trials in a couple of weeks if it ever stops raining so I'll keep an eye on the temp.

Regards
HawkEye

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 11:25:43 am »

Hi HawkEye,

The rain is the reason I didn't modify my tug extensively, we get our share of rain overhere and I want to be able to run my boats regardless of the weather.

Last 'summer' (I use the term loosely) we were camping in Germany where I sat under a bridge, running my tug in the pooring rain, not a drop inside after an hour or two.
I had to switch on the searchlight to keep track of the boat coming towards me from a 100 yards in a downpour...

When running in high wind conditions, the boat isn't completely watertight; when running into the wind, the bow wave breaks over the entire boat, the steering house windows leak and water seeps down into the bilge, fortunately the electronics stay dry, as long as there's less than a cupfull of water in the hull.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

HawkEye

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 10:06:32 pm »

I've not had as much time as I had anticipated on this little project but a few more pics follow ( everyone likes pics ).

I've cured the problem with the original front stairs by boxing them in with plasticard and turning them round, they've now become a feature "thing" !(artistic licence).

Some swim noodle was cut and fitted to the inside of the hull with double sided sticky tape in case of the odd torpedo,fused supply for led's added,all unused screw holes in the deck filled with Milliput, deck screwed down.

Front towing bollard was made from brass rod,drilled and a brass bolt soldered in place,I think those screws will have to go black.

Chopped the original mast assembly, fitted some led's, wiring yet to be hidden.

Blue and yellow wire exiting from the porthole in the door is led feed to the whole superstructure (testing purposes), this porthole will be sealed,the entire structure is sealed underneath with silicone following advice from Pompebled in the post above.

A bit more paint and a few railings and I think that's it, next photo should be sea trials :).

HawkEye

swordfish fairey

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »

Very nice Hawkeye, you've made a silk purse out of a sows ear there :-)), I'm not a big fan of these Seaports, but you may have converted me into getting one :o. look forward to your finished pictures.....All the best with it on the oggin ;) ;).....Tony

deadwood

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 02:16:53 pm »

Hello HawkEye,

this is a cute little tug.
Was the basis of your conversion a toy tug?
The strength of the material and "sturdiness" of the superstructure give me this impression.
Is your build log a continuation from a first part where possibly the origin of the tug model had been revealed?

Rlaph

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:46:27 pm »

Hello HawkEye,

this is a cute little tug.
Was the basis of your conversion a toy tug?
The strength of the material and "sturdiness" of the superstructure give me this impression.
Is your build log a continuation from a first part where possibly the origin of the tug model had been revealed?

Rlaph
See here " Dickie Tugboat / Seaport Workboat " section.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=125.0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

HawkEye

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 05:53:50 pm »

swordfish fairey ,
Thank you for your kind words, i've still not had time to take it to the local pond but hopefully within the next week if work allows.

deadwood,
Yes this is a conversion of a "toy" tug , see DickyD's link for details.

HawkEye

Subsonuc Mike

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »

I like it  :-))

deadwood

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 06:08:13 pm »

deadwood,
Yes this is a conversion of a "toy" tug , see DickyD's link for details.
I apologize for not having studied the initial thread and follow-ons before posting.
I really was misled by this section's title Seaport Tugs and gathered it was dedicated to models of all kinds of seaport tugs (as opposed to e.g. salvage or offshore tugs).

Now knowing this is all about enhancing the Dickie Toy RC Tug, I do remember to have seen two of them in the shelf of a German toy chain store of Spielemax a couple of months ago for abt. EUR 35.
I instantly thought this little tug could form an excellent basis for improving it towards a nearly scale model.
Unfortunately, I missed to buy one then and ever since have never discovered it again in various toy shops that I occasionally came past.
I thought Dickie had ditched this model from their selection and regret being too hesitant back then.

Regards
Ralph

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 07:49:51 am »

You have made a lovely tug out of a toy, I think your paint & detailing is first class & hope it goes like a scalded cat on the lake. Mick B.
Mick B.

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 02:18:57 pm »

This project was finished last year but it appears I forgot the photo's, so I took some today and here they are -

It wasn't until I had uploaded these to Photobucket that I noticed the original ( untouched ) nav lights are on the wrong sides   >>:-( - could be entertaining depending on how they are fixed !.Perhaps I'll just leave them now !

HawkEye

I've never been so sure of something I wasn't sure of...

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

Hi Martin, I used the same method of sealing the tank ports that's mentioned on the forum somewhere, much rubbing with 1200 wet and dry on both sides, then two strips of plasticard glued inside the hull over the ports plus a good overlap. When dry turn hull over and apply 5min. epoxy from the outside, nice and smooth to save on the rubbing down afterwards. O0
It's the pretty bits above deck that I'll be in trouble with, as my painting skills and eyesight ( even with binoculars ) are non too good these days. {-)

HawkEye

Aha! I have discovered that these boats are compatable with Styrene so I cut up some red bits from inside the hull and put them in a small glass bottle along with some Styrene solvent to make Red Filler and used that to fill those water inlets, I am also making Green Filler the same way to fill holes in the deck.
These boats are adictive, I cannot stop working on it!.

Len.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 06:44:27 pm »

It wasn't until I had uploaded these to Photobucket that I noticed the original ( untouched ) nav lights are on the wrong sides   >>:-( - could be entertaining depending on how they are fixed !.Perhaps I'll just leave them now !

Why not simply reverse the photograph? We'd never know.  :embarrassed:

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 09:31:59 pm »

Why not simply reverse the photograph? We'd never know.  :embarrassed:

:} :}   I had thought about a bit of "image manipulation" but it's one of those things that will bug me now until i do something about it. It appears that I've got another one out of three original tugs with the same problem  :o.

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 09:33:52 pm »

Aha! I have discovered that these boats are compatable with Styrene

Nice to see you're getting stuck into it already Len !  :-))

Tony

ralphhager

• Ralph1937
  • Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:30 pm »

HawkEye!  Love your build; :-) I will be using a lot of your methods and ideas for my Dickey Tug “thanks”.  I have read your build a couple of times, but I can’t see where you describe how you re-install your deck and what method you use to keep it water tight. {:-{  Would you mind telling us how you did this?

Thanks Ralph :-))

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.