Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner  (Read 151012 times)

rmaddock

Re: Nobby
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 06:31:48 pm »

Also today, armed with my newly taken pictures and my natural male ability to multi-task O0 I have been planning out the deck fittings.

rmaddock

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 05:26:09 pm »

New moulding (nothing more exotic than balsa) steamed and glued into place.  That and I've had to remove all my model stuff from the dining table since we've got friends coming round for dinner this evening.  >>:-(

I was reading the post in which people were showing off their sheds and attics and such like. I'm very jealous  :embarrassed:! Mind you, I've got acres of cellar and attic myself I'm just too disorganised to have turned them into anything useful. I'd have to fit lights into the cellar first and that would take up valuable building time! Catch 22 situation, me thinks  {-)

sinxalot

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 02:41:31 am »

the moulding steamed in quite nicely :-))sometimes I've had trouble getting balsa to bend successfully,probably due to the grain!
don't get too jealous of building sheds,mine is absolutely freezing in winter and an oven in summer,I wish I had a cellar :}
Cheers Col

rmaddock

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 11:16:33 am »

the moulding steamed in quite nicely :-))sometimes I've had trouble getting balsa to bend successfully,probably due to the grain!
don't get too jealous of building sheds,mine is absolutely freezing in winter and an oven in summer,I wish I had a cellar :}
Cheers Col

I did fours years of a violin making evening class in ages past (still haven't finished a violin) so I became a dab hand at bending bits of wood.  :}
As to cellars, I'm almost feeling inspired to sort mine out. It has three rooms and the one at the back already has my dibs on it. It just needs the lights and jacuzzi installing  {-)

Beachcomber

• Shipmate
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 12:02:02 pm »

There is a great book which may be of help with your building, it is called "THE LANCASHIRE NOBBY"  by Nick Miller.
  ISBN 978 1 84868 490 4.  Loads of photographs  drawings and information. Published by Amberley Publishing

rmaddock

Re: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 01:13:26 pm »

Thanks Beachcomber,
A well thumbed copy already resides in the reading room (aka bathroom)  :D
It is, indeed, an excellent book and very informative.
Cheers!

rmaddock

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 01:15:59 pm »

Has a moderator changed the title of this thread? Not a problem, I just wonder if I'm imagining it  {:-{ %%
It is more informative this way....but less amusing  {-)

rmaddock

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 05:28:42 pm »

I'm having a wonderfully constructive day.  :-))

And destructive too  O0

I decided that what I'd glued in so far was completely wrong  :((  So, with my non-dremel I cut the gunwales down to the required depth above the mouldings, removed the wood work and fitted it again flush with the deck level.  I've also fashioned a new ply insert for the stern.

It's now possible to see what the counter's going to look like  :}

The nest thing is to sort out the mess at the bows.

This horrible lump of GRP has to go!  <*<  I assume it's something to do with the process of taking a completed model and making a mould from it.  At the same time as smoothing all of this out, I want to surgically implant a big chunk of wood type material into the bows to which rigging and bowsprit rings can all be bolted.

This is what I'm aiming for:

sinxalot

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 08:02:57 am »

so the hull moulding came "with warts an'all"lol {-)

rmaddock

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 02:26:37 pm »

The "warts" are no more.  <*<

As you can see, I've glued in a ply foredeck thingy.....cool! I've also taken the mini-grinder to the bows  O0  Two aims. One was to grind away the "wart" the other was to allow me to insert a new, wooden bow post. This'll get shaped eventually and should be nice and solid for the fore-stay and bowsprit......fingers crossed.....hopefully.

I've included a couple of high-technology retaining widgets.....aka wood screws....in the back of the new piece.  I'm planning on pouring a quantity of epoxy/filler into this space to lock everything together.

It's turning into a boat!  :o

rmaddock

Very exciting day!
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 05:39:38 pm »

Another good modelling day! And I hardy feel guilty at all that I still haven't finished painting the bathroom.  :embarrassed:

As predicted, I filled the bows with sticky stuff which, with the magic of crossed fingers, should hold it all together nicely and probably qualify it for ice-breaking duties.  %%

As I've now cut the ballast plug into two parts, I will be able to get it in and out with deck beams (etc) in place so I could see no reason not to start on said beams.  I began at the bows.  I'm putting the mast in the position shows on the plans, rather than the scale position - although I haven't measured that so it could be the same anyway. This choice was made so that the hull will balance as designed. I'd rather it sail well than be accurate in small circles  :o  I also decided to rake the deck from the centre line outwards. Looking at the plans and the pictures of the parent model, it appeared to have a flat deck. I, however, am feeling masochistic about this build.  :-))

And then, because I could, I sort of jury-rigged things together just to get an idea of what the finished article might look like. Does anybody else do that or are you all super-patient?  The temporary bowsprit and mast are the length as per the plans.......I'll find out what the scale sizes would/should be later on.  The boom should protrude about a scaled foot beyond the rear counter; small boat LOTS of sail!  :D

Sorry to those of you who get your t'internet via a wet piece of string. I fancied a BIG picture of this one.  :P

tony23

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 07:10:09 pm »

Wow, coming on nicely also keep up with the bigger pictures I don't like looking at the small ones  :-))

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 07:22:58 pm »

I might not have commented so far, but I - for one - am loving this build.

Looking great!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

rmaddock

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 07:47:50 pm »

Thanks both!

BTW, the small pictures are "clicky" into BIG pictures.

rmaddock

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »

Last one for tonight.....honestly. I've got to stop now...even I'm exhausted now.  I've just shoved the boys off to bed. My professional wife's out at some seminar or other organised by her professional body (Behave!  :police:). Not that I can complain as it's been paying for the toy boats for years. However, I've had no reason to stop this evening....'till now.

My Tesco's calzone is almost ready...no salad involved due to absence of wife. And, I'm running out of spruce strips. So, unless lastsecond.com have got a new instant modelling supplies home delivery service, I'm going to have to stop.

Meanwhile, the deck beamage expands ever stern-wards (can you tell I've had a glass of wine? {-) ) Note the extra cross brace. This is to hold the sides of the hull apart where the chain plates will be since the deck beams will only work against the weight of the deck, not against squeezing. I've departed fron the plans again my shortening the distance from the mast to the cockpit to be more scale....there's little more than a foot on the real boat and twice that on the plans.

Big picture, just for SpamCanMan  :kiss: (sorry, it's the wine  %%)

Brooks

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 03:43:08 am »

Gosh, she's looking good, Sir. You are brave with the rotary tool :-). I knew a violin maker, his other hobby was ice boats (we have a great iceboat reservoir here in Montana).

CJ1

Re: Very exciting day!
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 08:17:20 am »

And then, because I could, I sort of jury-rigged things together just to get an idea of what the finished article might look like. Does anybody else do that or are you all super-patient?
No, you are not alone and doesn't she look good.
I seem to spend half my modelling time doing it! I can't help myself. My grand father used to make models professionally and never did it. Not even to see if parts would fit together after he had made them. He just knew that they would work. It was so frustrating for me to watch him. Only at the end would he bring everything together and instantly a complete boat would appear out of a bundle of bits.
Chris

rmaddock

Re: Very exciting day!
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 11:27:47 am »

Only at the end would he bring everything together and instantly a complete boat would appear out of a bundle of bits.

That's either torture or masochism.....or possibly both  :o {-)  I think that it's the little glimpses of what could be that keep me going.

I have now run out of wood  {:-{ I went to Barrow for some more yesterday but the model shop never opened. I gave them the benefit of the doubt (it was 1/2 day closing) and tried again today. They didn't have what I wanted.  <*< It looks like a tripette to Lancaster might be required; 15 miles as the crow flies but more like 40 thanks to geography. Hey ho.

rmaddock

Pontification
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 06:26:16 pm »

For want of wood, I've decided to pontificate a bit instead.
Since some questions have been asked about scratch building in the past, I thought I'd try to demonstrate my own, idiosyncratic methods. Not that I'm setting myself up as any sort of expert 'cause I'm not. However, I wanted to show that you can, to an extent, make things up as you go along.
So, here's how I put the deck beams in for a raked deck without any plans for such a thing.

First, I laid a long straight piece of precision equipment (aka a spruce spar) along the centre line of the deck.

Doing this shows how much rise the deck needs to have from the gunwales to the centre.  Having already cut seats in the gunwales for the deck beams, I inserted various thinknesses (why doesn't the spell-checker like this word?) of "stuff" under the beam until I found one that was just right...not too hot and not too cold.

This 'Goldilocks stuff' was then restrained across the hull next to the deck beam position.

This gives us a level to which the deck beams should be angled. Here they can be seen very badly cut out and fitted so as to be level with the top of the guide strip.

Extra slots have been cut for the lengthways spars and glue applied.

And this is where I was when the wood ran out  :((  The half card circle shows the shape of the front of the cockpit. It'll run right back to the rear cross-member.

And with that, I shall shut up. Appologies if you've heard it all before or were offended by either my method or presumption.

Have a good weekend!

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 11:19:04 pm »

Apologies? Forget it, you are doing what we all do - make it up as you go along and talk like you know what you are doing!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Patrick Henry

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 07:55:05 am »

Mr Maddock, sir...

If they are of any use to you, I have a set of scanned line drawings for a Lancashire Nobby, plus I have a copy of the souvenir booklet issued by the Mersey Nobby Association back in July '86. (Pic shows the booklet outer cover) A kind person sent them to me when I had this mad idea of building one, but I found I was way out of my depth with all that wood, so the paperwork was filed away and forgotten about until I read your post just now.

Rich

dondecap

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2011, 10:02:51 am »

hi mate.
that's coming along nicely :)
watching with interest.

regards
don

rmaddock

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2011, 10:57:42 am »

If they are of any use to you, I have a set of scanned line drawings for a Lancashire Nobby, plus I have a copy of the souvenir booklet issued by the Mersey Nobby Association back in July '86.

That's an uncommonly kind offer Rich. I love to have them but I'd hate to be taking anything from you under false pretences. I'm not sure I'd make any more use of them in the long term than you would yourself.

I must admit to getting increasingly "in to" these little boats. Having read the history and stood on the decks of the real thing.  I have also been honoured by the trust who own Hearts of Oak with a standing offer to actually go sailing with them next season. I am so excited it's like being a kid again.  O0  It's her 100th anniversary next year and they're planning, amongst other things, to sail her back to Ulverston for a visit to her town of birth. It'd be cool to be involved with that.

Cheers!

Robert.

rmaddock

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 09:55:08 am »

Bah humbug!
Living in the sticks is lovely 'till the first opportunity you have to go to a model shop see it closed for the day because they haven't heard of the modern 24/7 world!
Of course if I, personally, ran a model shop then I'd want a day off myself but that argument doesn't extend to anybody else!  >>:-(  %%  :embarrassed:  {-)

Still, I'm going in tomorrow too so I only have to wait a little bit longer.  %)

rmaddock

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »

I had an hour (or four  >>:-() to spare between lectures yesterday so, amongst trips to the model shop, I went to the Maritime Museum in Lancaster.

As I'm rapidly becoming a Nobby Anorak (there's no current law against it) I took some photos of Things Of Interest (sorry for the capitals, we're reading Winnie the Pooh here).  They're not the best pictures as they were taken on my phone, but bear with me.

This is a scale model of Crossland's boat building shop, as was, in Arnside. They were one of the more famous Nobby builders.  You can just about make out the shape of a prawner hull underway in the larger shed.  Sorry for the picture here, it was in a dirty glass box...I did my best Sir.

These were some of their actual tools and some half hull models.

They loved their boats so much that when they weren't sailing them, they sailed model ones instead.  This is a pond yacht of the period showing exactly the sort of non-scale hull changes that we'd have to make today for a model.

And this is the sort of boiler that they carried aboard to cookt he prawns on their way home.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.