Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner  (Read 151018 times)

rmaddock

Re: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2012, 02:31:33 pm »

So, the engine cover's been given a hardwood edging and had the finger holes drilled:  :-)

And, I've finished planking the bulkhead. Included in this is the (very) small door into the cabin.  :} I've made this bit up as the door wasn't in place when I visited the boat and so I've no idea which way it should open. I've guessed outwards as the mast would be in the way otherwise.  The iron-mongery is made from thin ply and bits of sawn-off metal control rod (left over from the dark days of model planes).

Is it my imagination, or is Jim looking a little happier? Perhaps he's looking forward to being able to lock himself and Jemima in there?  %)

Oh, and one of the front road springs broke on the Volvo last night.  <*<

rmaddock

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2012, 08:09:25 pm »

More progress........ :}

With the bulkhead sorted, I've moved on to the benches that go under the decks.
I used my contour gauge to get the shape of the ribs, transferred that to card and then to ply.
The rear edge of the vertical side piece has been trimmed back to be almost in line with the engine box, as per the original......you can just see it at the bottom left of the picture.
As shown, the bench is actually too high. I need to drop if down behind the vertical by a couple of mm so that I can put pine slats on it up to the level it's currently at.

I love the way it's coming together right now.  8)

I'm itching to buy some dark grey/blue paint for the floors and sides so that it really starts to look like the real thing.

nhp651

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2012, 08:38:51 pm »

that really is looking beautiful, Rob.

I love to see nice woodwork on a model.and that is very nice indeed.

neil./

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:25 pm »

Now this is bring back Fond Memories of childhood !! Grandfather who was a lobster fisherman in Pwllheli North Wales owned a Nobby a it was called Shrimp Girl,funnily enough it was brought from Morcame I often wonder where she is now.Remember many a time going out with him and the greatest treat and boy did it take a lot of persuading was hoisting the mainsail and sailing home back form fishing.
Keep up the good work

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2012, 10:15:23 pm »

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2012, 10:17:02 pm »

and picture 23

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2012, 10:54:50 pm »

Sugar Ive been on that site many a time and have missed those boy oh boy Fond memories and I don't mind admitting it bought a tear to my eyes,I had Forgotten one fact it was Ifan Henry who originally bought her then Grandfather WJ Gould who then bought her from him,I will try and find some photos of her and post up here IF I find them.....MANY thanks for that

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »

Just occasionally things work out well WW :-))

Dave

rmaddock

« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2012, 10:58:17 am »

I love to see nice woodwork on a model.

When it's finished Neil, I'm going to send all the parts away and have them cast in real resin and then painstakingly apply a wood effect paint job!  {-)

Now this is bring back Fond Memories of childhood !!

Dave, I'm glad to have brought back fond memories for you  :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:43 pm »

cast in real resin

But real resin in the most specific use of the term is a hydrocarbon secretion of coniferous trees.
So wouldn't that still be a genuine boat made from trees?  %%  %)

Neil's right though - you do do nice work. :-))

Dave

rmaddock

« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2012, 01:10:00 pm »

Thanks!  :embarrassed:

One of these years I'll learn to just accept a compliment.  {-)

rmaddock

« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2012, 06:10:01 pm »

I've done the second side of false ribs and planking and a second under-deck bench:

This side was much quicker! It helps to know what you're doing.  O0 {-)

Then, because I just couldn't not do it  :embarrassed: I whittled the other side of the ply sub-deck.

:o :o :o :o :o :o O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 :} :} :} :} :} :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

rmaddock

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2012, 10:54:56 am »

Progess has been a bit slow of late. Having finished my teacher training last month I find myself unemployed.....or at least back to house-husbanding. I've been trying to volunteer at local schools but of the 9 I've contacted so far, only one has even deigned to reply...and that in the negative. So the wind has been a bit out of my sails, as it were. That and the fact that I've hit one of those thinking about it spells that models, or scratch built ones at least, seem to include. Just how to I sort the running rigging?

Yesterday though, I dragged myself back to the build and sorted an extension to the rudder shaft.

I've drilled the shaft propper and glued a piece of rod through it (a cut-off piece of control rod). Then, a suitable piece of slotted tubing fits over that. By this means, I'll be able to have a removable but "working" tiller. The plan then will be to fashion some cunning scale sailing type of cove who'll bend in the right places and can hold the tiller.

The picture here is a clicky link to a video! I put a piece of wood on as a tiller just to see. There's quite a lot of movement and I realise that my skipper will have to be quite flexible indeed.

rmaddock

Washing the curtains
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2012, 12:16:20 pm »

Today I find myself unexpectedly washing the curtains  :embarrassed:

I did the classic slapstick turning the jar of paint upside down whilst I forgot I was holding it.  {-)

Hey ho. %) They probably needed washing anyway.

I've been slapping some paint on the nobby's interior. Crown Old English White, to be precise. Left over from decorating the house.

It'll need at least another coat and I may rub the balsa ribs down now that the paint has lifted the grain.....but the effect's going to be spot on....in my humble opinion.

rmaddock

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2012, 12:17:10 pm »

PS Thank goodness for sealed wooden floors!  {-) {-)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2012, 12:33:19 pm »

Hi Robert!

Our boats are at a similar stage. You can almost (but not quite) think of her sailing, as each pitfall and problem gets ticked off the list of those jobs that need done.

Keep it up! She's lovely! (And who cares about mere curtains when there's boat-building on the menu?)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

rmaddock

« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2012, 12:49:53 pm »

Thanks Andy...for the pep-talk. I am, indeed, at the stage when it all seems to go so slowly.
I was very, very tempted to put her on the water at the weekend. We went down to the pond in Barrow and I thought seriously about taping the decks on and balancing a battery in there somewhere. I managed to restrain myself though.

I'm also at the stage of trying to think of everything I need to do before I put the decks on. Obviously, the winches all need to go in but I also need to put some chainplates on whilst I can still get at the insides of the hull. I'm not sure how to attach those yet. Drilling through and bolting them seems obvious but I've read that drilling GPR hulls can cause cracks. I presume I could expoxy some ply doublers inside to avoid this though.

Is it still HMS Dreadnaught that you're working on? That must have a few fiddly bits.  O0

STOP PRESS......

Your post has just incited me onto fleaBay to order some pulleys for the winch setup. I shall blame you when Issy asks me what the credit card bill items are.  <*<

rmaddock

« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:36 pm »

A quick trip to B&Q and a "tester" pot of Crown's "New York" is now in my possession. It looks a pretty good representation of the real boat to me.

I'll need to find a load of pine-type planks for the tops of the benches now. I might have to savage some unwanted furniture.  :D

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2012, 08:30:41 pm »

lolly ice sticks - maybe from Asda, better than eating twenty ice lollies  %% ooh brain freeze :o

Dave

rmaddock

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2012, 08:42:01 pm »

lolly ice sticks - maybe from Asda, better than eating twenty ice lollies  %% ooh brain freeze :o
Dave

Brilliant Dave! I never thought of lolly sticks.  :-)) I can feel a trip to The Range coming on.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 09:43:09 pm »

wooden stirrers from mcD's or starbucks or costa - ideal for that kind of thing - free as well.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

rmaddock

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2012, 09:45:02 pm »

Not free as I'd have to buy a cup of coffee.....not through any moral principal so much as addiction  :embarrassed:

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2012, 09:47:29 pm »

Ah, but, if you are in need of a coffee fix anyway, the stirrers are an added benefit.  :-))
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2012, 10:01:09 pm »

Some Mayhem threads have stirrers  O0 :embarrassed:

Dave

triumphjon

« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2012, 07:42:29 am »

nice to see your progressing well with your build , i restored an old 1920s hull last summer which i also converted to being radio controlled . one thing i did do was to seal the deck to hull with bathroom sealant , and screw it to the hull , which has ment im able to remove it for better acsess to the rigging routes . my rudder is also above deck , we made a custom brass tiller arm that sits at deck level and ive attached a stainless steel cable through a hole each side of the tiller , around a pulley at the edge of the deck before going below deck to a servo with a double sided servo horn . jon
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 23 queries.